Border Control

Old Apr 7th 2021, 8:35 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Border Control

Last edited by agree_to_disagree; Apr 7th 2021 at 8:39 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

n77af is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an addendum to this. Flew Madrid to London early this morning, handed over my TIE and passport, and my passport was stamped. I suppose it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things and it was far too early in the morning to question it!
Old Apr 13th 2021, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by n77af
Just an addendum to this. Flew Madrid to London early this morning, handed over my TIE and passport, and my passport was stamped. I suppose it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things and it was far too early in the morning to question it!
they stamped you in the UK or Spain.?
Old Apr 14th 2021, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stingychips
they stamped you in the UK or Spain.?
Spain
Old Apr 14th 2021, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Do the Spanish border officials stamp other 3rd country passports when the owner has a residency card, NLV? (I'm thinking Americans, Canadians etc)

If so, then stamping all UK passports would seem appropriate.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
Do the Spanish border officials stamp other 3rd country passports when the owner has a residency card, NLV? (I'm thinking Americans, Canadians etc)

Surely the difference with UK citizens legally resident in the EU including Spain come under the rules agreed under the WA? As we are resident the passport stamp is irrelevant given that its purpose is re schengen rules and time limits on stays, as we live here what's the point? That would also apply for any 3rd country resident if you grant residency why time their stay in country of residence? That doesn't make sense. Also per both spanish and UK governments have said it shouldn't happen.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Surely the difference with UK citizens legally resident in the EU including Spain come under the rules agreed under the WA? As we are resident the passport stamp is irrelevant given that its purpose is re schengen rules and time limits on stays, as we live here what's the point? That would also apply for any 3rd country resident if you grant residency why time their stay in country of residence? That doesn't make sense. Also per both spanish and UK governments have said it shouldn't happen.
Hi bobd22,
My post was seeking to clarify whether 3rd countries, previous to 2020, had their passports stamped on entry/exit when they possessed a residency card.... Just trying to gauge whether the border control were (wrongly?) making a special case for UK passport holders.

New UK applicants for the NLV would not come under the WA, should they have their UK passports stamped?

What would happen if someone (as Spanish resident) entered the Schengen area via a French port, travelled into Spain and left via a Spanish port? Their passport would be stamped when they entered the Schengen area but not when they left. This could cause confusion on their next visit the Schengen area.

Personally, I think they're making it up as they go along.

Old Apr 14th 2021, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I think they have not really looked at it pre planning. Stamping passports in a country one legally is resident as you say can only add to confusion.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. As mentioned earlier my UK passport wasn't stamped but my wife had her Mexican passport stamped by the same official at the same time. My guess is that they haven't received clear guidance if n77af had thiers stamped, also at Madrid.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 7:59 am
Just Joined

I had mine stamped leaving Madrid, but not entering 3 weeks earlier. And again, no stamp on leaving Malaga prior to that. I'm surprised that Madrid, which is the biggest international airport in Spain doesn't seem to have a consistent procedure in place.

As I am one of the few people in my company that has had a vaccine, I've got a fair amount of work trips coming up. I'm heading through Gibraltar on the 7th which will be interesting, as its the first time crossing that border in over a year. It's an incredibly convenient place to fly, as I can be home 30 minutes from stepping off the aircraft, but I have had very bad luck with weather in the past!

The stamp / no stamp is more of a curiosity than anything, as it won't affect those of us legally living in Spain.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

It’s going to be havoc when things open up officially. Sounds like no one has a clue
Old Apr 14th 2021, 8:36 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

What would happen if someone (as Spanish resident) entered the Schengen area via a French port, travelled into Spain and left via a Spanish port? Their passport would be stamped when they entered the Schengen area but not when they left. This could cause confusion on their next visit the Schengen area.
They would show the TIE in France and as it's in the common format it should be recognised by French border control and they shouldn't get a stamp.

Last edited by DLC; Apr 14th 2021 at 8:45 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2021, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by n77af
The stamp / no stamp is more of a curiosity than anything, as it won't affect those of us legally living in Spain.
That is bit a naïve statement.
What will happen if you leave/enter Schengen through another state, other then Spain, and you have lost/forgotten your TIE?
Those stamps will indicate you have overstayed in Schengen. I hear airport detention beds are quite comfortable.
Old Apr 15th 2021, 11:06 am
Just Joined

You may call it naivety, but I call it common sense. Could you imagine the uproar that would be caused if, because of a erroneous passport stamp, they were chucking legal residents into detention centres?

Forgetting the residency card is hard, as in Spain you must always carry government issued ID on your person. A card that fits into my wallet is preferred over carrying my passport everywhere, and in the case of loss abroad, I am certain that procedures are in place to allow you to prove your status.

Even entering through another Schengen state, I’d imagine a quick call to the Spanish authorities to confirm someone’s status is far easier than detaining and deporting someone.

Old Apr 15th 2021, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like there will be some potential head aches these next few months for anyone who has not got a Spanish/European passport when clearing customs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.