Ayamonte - Costa Esuri - Part III

Wikiposts

Ayamonte - Costa Esuri - Part III

Old Sep 10th 2006, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Val D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ayamonte - Costa Esuri - Part III

Hi All
With regards to all concerned about Burger King, we previously had an apartment in Islantilla and were very happy that the resort was very Spanish with little or no British feel. After a year or more of visitng we were disapionted to say the least when Burger King opened in the comercial centre (can I just say Daniel who was 5 or 6 at the time was delighted). However, to put your minds at rest it had little or no impact on the feel of the resort and to the best of my knowledge has not been followed by any other fast food chain. Also even though Daniel loves the ocasional visit there it has not stoped him enjoying tapas!
Hope this makes you all feel a bit better
Val
Old Sep 11th 2006, 2:23 am
Just Joined

terrymcg is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read quite a few posts recently and am aware of some peoples ongoing concerns. We spent five great weeks at CE over the summer. The potential of the place is fantastic. Not just the site, but the locality as well. Of course it would be better if there was minimal ex-pat impact. However, we have to accept that there will be some. Let's just keep an eye on things. I mean, Burger King may be a marginal irritant but it will pale into insignificance when put in the context of the bigger picture.

Our plan is to move there as soon as possible. This was not the case when we bought. Our friends are of the same mind as well. So we will be bringing our plans to move forward. A problem we face, and I suspect quite a few others, is that of schooling. I talked about this with some people I met over the summer. My suspicion is that if there is a decent International school offering a modified British curriculum then others may take the plunge earlier. My wife and I are teachers (I a senior manager) in a prestigious International school. We met other teachers there in August. I made some preliminary enquiries about starting a not for profit community primary school. However, before I pursue this venture I would really like to be able to guage the extent of the need for such. I want to point out that I very much support the idea of putting kids in local Spanish schools but this might not suit everybody.

If you would like to discuss this with me drop me a PM. I believe the idea is very feasible in the short run and hugely important in the long run.

Terry McGuire
Old Sep 11th 2006, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by terrymcg
A problem we face, and I suspect quite a few others, is that of schooling.
My suspicion is that if there is a decent International school offering a modified British curriculum then others may take the plunge earlier. I want to point out that I very much support the idea of putting kids in local Spanish schools but this might not suit everybody.

Terry McGuire
I promise I'm not being sarcastic or controversial, but why do you feel that schooling will be an issue? Is it just an overcrowding issue - as from recollection there was land allocated for a new school on CE.

What does an international school offer over a local school? and what are the benefits of a UK similar curriculum for children when they are resident in Spain?
Cheers
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

tonyp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sam parky
Hi Yvonne,

We only had our letter about the meeting last Wednesday and the meetings this coming Thursday. Apparently by law they are supposed to give 21 days notice for a community meeting not 8 days. If you are unable to attend which I am sure many of you will be at such short notice then you can give proxy to another townhouse owner.

Mel, If I were you I would give up completely on getting sky from sas . They say they will turn up but dont bother to . We are still the only block with a sky dish and that doest work after 8pm!!!! The only problem is there are now sky dishes being put up on lots of individual houses and its beginning to look unsightly. We are still waiting for satellite broadband from them which was promised to us about 5 weeks or so ago!!! It should be a good discussion among other things a the meeting.

I feel much better after that little rant.

Sam
Any residents of Manzana 2 attending the meeting?

Unfortunately we are not able to get over and would like to give our proxy to someone, with our concerns over certain issues e.g satellite,garden gates,swimming pool.

Tony
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cptnemo
I promise I'm not being sarcastic or controversial, but why do you feel that schooling will be an issue? Is it just an overcrowding issue - as from recollection there was land allocated for a new school on CE.

What does an international school offer over a local school? and what are the benefits of a UK similar curriculum for children when they are resident in Spain?
Cheers
The reasons schooling may be an issue for some people are varied. For example, children may be of different ages and at different stages in their education; parents may want to send or take their children back to the UK to complete their education some time in the future; parents may be concerned about the acceptability of Spanish qualifications at British universities; parents may simply prefer the education system and curriculum with which they are familiar; it may be easier to assimilate the children if the language of tuition is familiar to them. What it boils down to is choice. Whilst I am all in favour of cultural integration, I don't believe this is a prerequisite where education is concerned. There are over 50 excellent British curriculum schools in Spain. Wherever there is a sizeable expatriate community you will eventually find an international school. I have taught abroad for 12 years and have seen many people come and go for a multitude of reasons. I can't see any reason why CE shouldn't follow the same pattern.

Terry
Old Sep 12th 2006, 6:08 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

The reasons schooling may be an issue for some people are varied. For example, children may be of different ages and at different stages in their education; parents may want to send or take their children back to the UK to complete their education some time in the future; parents may be concerned about the acceptability of Spanish qualifications at British universities; parents may simply prefer the education system and curriculum with which they are familiar; it may be easier to assimilate the children if the language of tuition is familiar to them. What it boils down to is choice. Whilst I am all in favour of cultural integration, I don't believe this is a prerequisite where education is concerned. There are over 50 excellent British curriculum schools in Spain. Wherever there is a sizeable expatriate community you will eventually find an international school. I have taught abroad for 12 years and have seen many people come and go for a multitude of reasons. I can't see any reason why CE shouldn't follow the same pattern.

Terry
I was asking a question about british curriculum schooling a while ago on behalf of a friend. I forget who replied to me, but at the moment the nearest such school is in Portugal - Tavira. It only opened this month.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Keithwalters and terrymcg,

It was I who put you onto the East Algarve school at Tavira and thanks for letting us know that it has now opened. For now it is the nearest international school but I don't know what age group they take maybe 3-18 yrs.

Terry there are 7 sites set aside for for educational use at Costa Esuri (see attached plan it is in adobie and you can enlarge to make the plots visible). E6 is in the SW corner of the townhouse development area and is probably for a nursery or primary school.

In our three years of visiting CDL we have seen just such a plot developed at Nuavo Portil for a primary school but I don't know if the school provision is by the private sector or the Ayuntamiento.

Regards,

John.

PS Kath has many years expedience of junior from 3-12 and might just be looking for a little gentle supply when the villa is up.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails Ayamonte - Costa Esuri - Part III-esuri-layout.jpg  

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Sep 12th 2006 at 7:08 am.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Keithwalters and terrymcg,

It was I who put you onto the East Algarve school at Tavira and thanks for letting us know that it has now opened. For now it is the nearest international school but I don't know what age group they take maybe 3-18 yrs.

Terry there are 7 sites set aside for for educational use at Costa Esuri (see attached plan it is in adobie and you can enlarge to make the plots visible). E6 is in the SW corner of the townhouse development area and is probably for a nursery or primary school.

In our three years of visiting CDL we have seen just such a plot developed at Nuavo Portil for a primary school but I don't know if the school provision is by the private sector or the Ayuntamiento.

Regards,

John.

PS Kath has many years expedience of junior from 3-12 and might just be looking for a little gentle supply when the villa is up.
Thanks John I'll look into it

Terry
Old Sep 12th 2006, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Spanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really nice

Terry
My wife is in teaching, you know the big kids them 11 to 16. Don't think they would understand,assimilate ,prerequisite,curriculum curriculum curriculum. I wonder if really the parents do? My wife, she speaks German, French, Spanish, a little, Danish, Dutch, and even Finish. So much for us being the ignorant bxxxxxxx of Europe. I must apologise I only speak English & Spanish and only also understand German, Italian & French this is because I was educated in a secondary modern English School, Finishing with 8 CSE's no GSE and No As or A levels.

The point is! Schooling is not the be or end of things, and the way the British education system works if educated abroad you will get more opportunity in university especially @ Oxford / Cambridge. without the English curriculum thing.

By the way I get the feeling you and your wife have always been in teaching, perhaps, left school, then college, then polly tec, then teacher training, back to school.

Ever left school?

and yes I am stereo typing.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as a person living in Spain (not mod).
I feel if you want to live in a country, then live it fully.
Accept their way of life, accept their system ie language, schools, health service, taxes, strange motoring laws, etc etc the list is endless, but it is the Spanish way of life so take it or leave it.
If you want an English life, live in England.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

tonyp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jdr
Accept their way of life, accept their system ie language, schools, health service, taxes, strange motoring laws, etc etc the list is endless, but it is the Spanish way of life so take it or leave it.
Do you mean the way people accept the English way of life when they move here??
Old Sep 12th 2006, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Tricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdr

Hi Jdr

I admire your principles and happen to agree with many of them BUT you must get very giddy up on that horse sometimes Spain is not some kind of utopia different from the rest of the world, every country has different nationalities, international schools, ex pat areas blah blah blah, some better, some worse than others.

I have just returned from Ayamonte during their festival and good luck to them if they love it but personally I hate it, people falling about drunk in the streets at 8.30 in the morning, tacky fairs that remind me of the ones we have at our local forest plains and music blaring till the morning. I spoke to a bar owner in Alcoutim (some of you regular posters know him) who has injuries after the locals tried to smash their way into his bar when he had closed wanting more to drink, they beat him up and the local police did nothing, it is not all 'Spanish is wonderful and the Brits are cultureless yobs', which is what is too often inferred and yes, I do know that Alcoutim is in Portugal.

So what if some Brits prefer the Outback or the Sugar reef, personally I like a bit of both the Spanish town and the 'ex pat' scene, so what. Last time I was in Sugar reef there were far more Spaniards in there than English. This reminds me of the pc brigade in England......too often you hear of 'minorities' being quite happy with our set up but it's the do gooders who interfere telling us how bad we are for not recognising this that and the other. I feel this is the same, I speak to many locals in my pidgeon Spanish and they are quite happy, or as Loco has often said 'accepting of change' but the pc brigade has moved to Spain and seem to feel the need to constantly shove it down our throats that 'they' are so damned integrated and we are all chav Brits..

Sorry but it makes me so angry.......take it up with the real chavs or with the Spanish authorities and leave the people alone who are merely trying to enjoy what life has to offer. It really is sometimes bordering on playground bullying.

Oh yes, and if the pc brigade would shut up then maybe there would be an English way of life to live, in England.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

suisse is an unknown quantity at this point

JDR

Are you referring to the 'English life' that includes Erdu only schools, more Poles than the population of Warsaw and where the most popular food is now Asian in origin ?

In terms of immigration, the world has changed and will continue to do so. As part of the EU, Spain is in exactly the same situation as England, i.e. subject to change on an unprecidented scale. As more people migrate, they will naturally take what they feel they need with them or source it when they get there. Like it or not, it's a fact of life these days so best get used to it or move on if you don't like it, whether that be from England, Spain or anywhere else in the EU for that matter.

Unless freedom of choice has ceased to exist in Spain, what is wrong with people choosing to set up their own schools, watch Sky TV and continue to speak the language that they have spoken all their life ? If they also speak some Spanish and enjoy the local food and facilities, then fantastic - that's their choice. After all, foreign influences such as fast food, bowling and theme parks are clearly Spanish choices too, otherwise they wouldn't be setting up or functioning as businesses Spain.

William
Old Sep 13th 2006, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Spanishliferules
My wife is in teaching, you know the big kids them 11 to 16. Don't think they would understand,assimilate ,prerequisite,curriculum curriculum curriculum. I wonder if really the parents do? My wife, she speaks German, French, Spanish, a little, Danish, Dutch, and even Finish. So much for us being the ignorant bxxxxxxx of Europe. I must apologise I only speak English & Spanish and only also understand German, Italian & French this is because I was educated in a secondary modern English School, Finishing with 8 CSE's no GSE and No As or A levels.

The point is! Schooling is not the be or end of things, and the way the British education system works if educated abroad you will get more opportunity in university especially @ Oxford / Cambridge. without the English curriculum thing.

By the way I get the feeling you and your wife have always been in teaching, perhaps, left school, then college, then polly tec, then teacher training, back to school.

Ever left school?

and yes I am stereo typing.
I was enjoying your rant until you got personal. Tempted not to respond but prats like you need to understand that decent people want to talk to decent people about issues of genuine concern They want an intelligent debate where they can get answers and information that can assist them in making serious and life changing decisions.

For your information I did leave school. Did the whole working class thing and returned after some life enhancing and very develomental years. It may have helped you if you had begun any personal and social education yourself.

Terry
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

3 observations:
1. I think the wise, old woman (I'll call her Lola), referred to in Loco's post, might welcome this variety of choice in childrens' education. There was an article in the Huelva Informacion, and the Oracle, about a pilot scheme to teach more english language in primary school (starting with a school in Cartaya).
2. If I understand Terrymcg's original post, he is referring to primary education for starters.
3. Secondary education in the independent (private) sector is offering the international baccalaureate (IB) diploma. The world is still a big place.

Last edited by Carol&John; Sep 13th 2006 at 4:05 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.