Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone else get sick of waiting to move?

Anyone else get sick of waiting to move?

Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:34 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else get sick of waiting to move?

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Good point Lionda ,
Also if we take a hypothetical house purchase of say £150,000 and of that £100,000 was of your own capital !! One could argue that that money could be earning interest on deposit so that ammount must be added as well or thats a further loss..

Damn we are good aint we Lionda ..

Hey - well done Pete I missed that one
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:56 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

I can't bloody wait to move!

We had to put up little wooden posts - no bigger than 12 inches - on the grassed verge on the pavement outside our house to stop vehicles (normally workmen/delivery men etc) from parking on it as they've ripped it all up during the winter. The verges looked like First World War trenches. These little posts have been in the ground for 3 weeks. They're presentable, painted white, with little tops on them for decoration. Many neighbours commented on what a good idea it was putting them in as everyone living here is sick of vans spoiling the little grassed verges.

Since these posts have been in place, 3 have had the tops kicked off by teenagers walking past - just leaving them broken on the pavement outside our house. The most recent one was last night.

I'm not saying that Spain or anywhere else doesn't have acts of mindless vandalism (and I know it'd hardly going to stop the world - the fact that some tw@t in a hoodie thinks it funny to break them) but I despair at the British yob culture. I imagine that if the little scrote had broken a toe whilst kicking one of my posts I'd be up in court:curse:

I just want to leave.

NOW!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lionda
That 30K will go a long way in Spain won't it Helen much further than it will over here!!
Yes where we are going it will buy a house!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:19 am
Just Joined

stickyvicki is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't got a property to sell so I think I'm quite lucky by the sounds of it, compensation payment due roughly at the end of the year so I will be using it to full advantage and shipping hubby and kids over - main reason for moving, 2 girls 17 and 18 who daren't go out because of "the youth of today" 17 year old has already been gang beaten and video'd, and a 5 year old boy who is partially deaf (what chance does he stand in this country) and yet all 3 have more respect and consideration for other people than most adults around here let alone there offspring, I may sound very bitter well to honest I AM and I cant wait to move Spain
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:09 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stickyvicki
I haven't got a property to sell so I think I'm quite lucky by the sounds of it, compensation payment due roughly at the end of the year so I will be using it to full advantage and shipping hubby and kids over - main reason for moving, 2 girls 17 and 18 who daren't go out because of "the youth of today" 17 year old has already been gang beaten and video'd, and a 5 year old boy who is partially deaf (what chance does he stand in this country) and yet all 3 have more respect and consideration for other people than most adults around here let alone there offspring, I may sound very bitter well to honest I AM and I cant wait to move Spain

Hello Stickyvicki and welcome to BE,

I always get so sad when I hear of things such as you have said; I have to ask my self why because everyone one I know family, friends, work colleague they are all like me. caring people of their society working to keep a roof over their families head, who bring their children up to be respectful of others. Yet we seem to live in this society of don't care, we live in a throw away society that sadly seems to included throwing away principles, morals and the need for trust and friendship.

Well I wish you every success in your search for something better for you and your family and I am sure you will find helpful peeps here that will stir you in the right direction.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:57 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Anyone else get sick of waiting to move?

Hi Stickyvicki, welcome to the forum! So sorry to hear about one of your daughters having been beaten up. Isn't it shocking nowadays that well brought up children are subjected to abuse by thugs! Personally, I feel we are badly let down by our antiquated non existent legal system for no dealing with, or not being able to deal with such violent louts. :curse: If their parents fail them, then society. for it's own protection should be able to step in and take over. Anyway, hope you get your settlement quickly and are able to relocate sooner rather than later. Good luck, talk soon
Chris XXX
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:19 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stickyvicki,

A warm welcome to the forum from me as well.

So sorry to hear about your daughter's ordeal. Hopefully when you make the move, all three of your children will settle in nicely and leave the bad and unpleasant things that have happened behind.

Best of luck,
Martha
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:26 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the site. Have you decided which part of Spain you would like to move to?

Your choice of name reminds me of a certain 'lady' in Benidorm
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:55 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derbyflan
I can't bloody wait to move!

We had to put up little wooden posts - no bigger than 12 inches - on the grassed verge on the pavement outside our house to stop vehicles (normally workmen/delivery men etc) from parking on it as they've ripped it all up during the winter. The verges looked like First World War trenches. These little posts have been in the ground for 3 weeks. They're presentable, painted white, with little tops on them for decoration. Many neighbours commented on what a good idea it was putting them in as everyone living here is sick of vans spoiling the little grassed verges.

Since these posts have been in place, 3 have had the tops kicked off by teenagers walking past - just leaving them broken on the pavement outside our house. The most recent one was last night.

I'm not saying that Spain or anywhere else doesn't have acts of mindless vandalism (and I know it'd hardly going to stop the world - the fact that some tw@t in a hoodie thinks it funny to break them) but I despair at the British yob culture. I imagine that if the little scrote had broken a toe whilst kicking one of my posts I'd be up in court:curse:

I just want to leave.

NOW!
Update........

There are 5 posts in all. Today, the remaining 2 were also decapitated - again by some lowlife scum.

Get me out of here
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:57 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Anyone else get sick of waiting to move?

Update........

There are 5 posts in all. Today, the remaining 2 were also decapitated - again by some lowlife scum.

Get me out of here
You know what you want out there don't you DF? Either a sentry box with possible coldstream guardsman, or alternatively if you cannot get hold of one of those, a garden gnome rigged to a motion sensor and equiped with an automatic machine gun! Lol! OR a paintball gun. Might not hurt the blighter but you will be able to find him!!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 7:09 am
Popping in for a chat

Update........

Get me out of here

Know how you feel DF. We have lived in this house for 7 years and in that time lost count of the number of times we have had to repair the fence at the back of the house. There is a service road and garages all along - graffitti on all the garage doors, holes in all the fences! This is a nice neighbourhood but the kids hang around the back and bored kids mean trouble!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 9:30 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

Smile Re: Anyone else get sick of waiting to move?

Know how you feel DF. We have lived in this house for 7 years and in that time lost count of the number of times we have had to repair the fence at the back of the house. There is a service road and garages all along - graffitti on all the garage doors, holes in all the fences! This is a nice neighbourhood but the kids hang around the back and bored kids mean trouble!
Morning Lionda! You just can't keep things nice nowadays can you? :curse: Don't know if you have seen them, but there was a local news article on TV several weeks ago showing these new High gates (about 8 foot or so) that councils are fitting to the ends of service roads. Their purpose is to reduce vandalism, graffiti,youth violence, drug traficking, and theft. I haden't seen or heard of them before, but they scheme has, apparently, been hugely successfull and iradicated the above problems to areas where they have been fitted. All residents are provided with a key to let themselves in and out, but no one else.
It was stated that because they had been so successful, the Government were releasing extra funding to local authorities to be able to provide more of them where neede, and had the full backing and support of Police authorities.
They interviewed several people asking what it was like before and after. residents advised the didn't feel safe before, and that they were being burlgled repeatedly, and now, their lives have been returned to normal and no thefts or abuse.
Drasic measures for drastic times eh?
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:13 am
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by chrisw
Morning Lionda! You just can't keep things nice nowadays can you? :curse: Don't know if you have seen them, but there was a local news article on TV several weeks ago showing these new High gates (about 8 foot or so) that councils are fitting to the ends of service roads. Their purpose is to reduce vandalism, graffiti,youth violence, drug traficking, and theft. I haden't seen or heard of them before, but they scheme has, apparently, been hugely successfull and iradicated the above problems to areas where they have been fitted. All residents are provided with a key to let themselves in and out, but no one else.
It was stated that because they had been so successful, the Government were releasing extra funding to local authorities to be able to provide more of them where neede, and had the full backing and support of Police authorities.
They interviewed several people asking what it was like before and after. residents advised the didn't feel safe before, and that they were being burlgled repeatedly, and now, their lives have been returned to normal and no thefts or abuse.
Drasic measures for drastic times eh?
Hi Chis

What a brilliant idea! High gates with a key for residents use only would solve the problem I'm sure. I haven't heard of it in this area though.

Another weekend - fingers crossed eh!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:22 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

Smile Re: Anyone else get sick of waiting to move?

Hi Chis

What a brilliant idea! High gates with a key for residents use only would solve the problem I'm sure. I haven't heard of it in this area though.

Another weekend - fingers crossed eh!
Absobloominlutely Lionda!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

YES I got sick of waiting to move, but got here in the end thank goodness! We put our house in East Lancashire on the market in Feb 2006 having done all the stuff like decluttering, interior paintwork, new plants, etc etc. Got a couple of very low offers, sacked the first estate agent after 3 months, got an acceptable offer in July from a buyer who then changed his mind. I was tearing my hair out but at the start of September we reduced the asking price by 5% and it promptly went manic - we got 5 offers in one week, two of them at the reduced asking price. The buyer wanted completion within 5 weeks and it was quite a job getting the move organised in that timescale but I was glad to do it. We´d owned our house in Spain for nearly 4 years and every time we came over I was so upset to have to leave and go back to the UK.

I hope the market picks up soon for all of you who are waiting to sell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.