Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone else get sick of waiting to move?

Anyone else get sick of waiting to move?

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future
Default Anyone else get sick of waiting to move?

We decided we were moving last May house on mkt etc thought it will only be a few months 6 at the most. Little were we to know the property mkt was the slowest it has been for years We even took it off mkt after xmas for a few months and thought we would wait until next year but for financial reasons changed our mind. Its not that I think Spain will be the be all and end all i am realistic and I know at first it will be harder than UK but it is this state of feeling in limbo you want to do something and you just want to get on with it. Sometimes I wish I didn't want to move it would be easier, but you have to follow your heart and I beleive it will all be worth it in the end. Does anyone else get fed up with the waiting and for those who have moved was it all worth it in the end and how long on average did it take to get there from the initial decision you were going?

Helen
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 1:12 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else get sick of waiting to move?

i feel very lucky that i dont have any major ties with the UK. i put my notice in at work and i rented a house. So for me its just a matter of going but ive had to wait about 6 weeks since making the decision and its been soooooo hard!!! though 3 weeks to go now! 21 days!!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
i feel very lucky that i dont have any major ties with the UK. i put my notice in at work and i rented a house. So for me its just a matter of going but ive had to wait about 6 weeks since making the decision and its been soooooo hard!!! though 3 weeks to go now! 21 days!!
You are lucky and good luck, I think the longer it goes on the more difficult it is it is like your life is on hold. Especially if you have announced to everyone your are going, my husband still sees people from his old work which he took redundancy from last year and they say thought you would be in Spain by now.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 2:33 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Helen

You have got it in one - limbo - that is a good description and exactly how we feel. We just want the house sold so that we can get on with our lives! We have had our house on the market for over a year now and haven't even had many viewings, we have switched agents yet again and all we get is - the market is slow. Well when is it going to pick up :curse:
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lionda
Hi Helen

You have got it in one - limbo - that is a good description and exactly how we feel. We just want the house sold so that we can get on with our lives! We have had our house on the market for over a year now and haven't even had many viewings, we have switched agents yet again and all we get is - the market is slow. Well when is it going to pick up :curse:
Yes its so frustrating we have never had this before houses have sold in weeks, but its not just ours most of the ones in the area are sticking. You wish you'd done it a couple of years ago when houses were actually selling.
Never mind must think positive.

Helen
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 2:54 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenp
Yes its so frustrating we have never had this before houses have sold in weeks, but its not just ours most of the ones in the area are sticking. You wish you'd done it a couple of years ago when houses were actually selling.
Never mind must think positive.

Helen
I see you are in Wigan - must be all over the country then because we are on the South coast, Hampshire. It's so sloooooow here!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by helenp
We decided we were moving last May house on mkt etc thought it will only be a few months 6 at the most. Little were we to know the property mkt was the slowest it has been for years We even took it off mkt after xmas for a few months and thought we would wait until next year but for financial reasons changed our mind. Its not that I think Spain will be the be all and end all i am realistic and I know at first it will be harder than UK but it is this state of feeling in limbo you want to do something and you just want to get on with it. Sometimes I wish I didn't want to move it would be easier, but you have to follow your heart and I beleive it will all be worth it in the end. Does anyone else get fed up with the waiting and for those who have moved was it all worth it in the end and how long on average did it take to get there from the initial decision you were going?

Helen
It will be worth the wait. We initially decided to move in Jan 2003, found our spanish home in the June and completed on it in September. House in UK went on the market in June 2003, sold 3 times during next 6 months but each time the chain collapsed and then in Jan 2004 it finally sold and we moved at the end of Jan and have no regrets, life here is great.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 3:11 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jo-ann
It will be worth the wait. We initially decided to move in Jan 2003, found our spanish home in the June and completed on it in September. House in UK went on the market in June 2003, sold 3 times during next 6 months but each time the chain collapsed and then in Jan 2004 it finally sold and we moved at the end of Jan and have no regrets, life here is great.
According to a tv prog yesterday,the Uk housing market is picking up,so you shouldnt have to wait too long now
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 3:46 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

We bought our house in Spain in Feb 2003 but we did not move out here until Sept 2005 and I can say with my hand on my heart it was the longest period of time I have ever experienced. We wanted to take early retirement but to do this we had to work like crazy for two years to pay for all the work we wanted to do to our Spanish property. We organised ourselves regarding holidays and managed to spend at least five days here every eight weeks, it became harder and harder to return to work after each trip. My line manager always sent me an e-mail just before leaving for my trip asking me if I would promise to be back at work after my holiday. I felt as if my heart was no longer in what I was doing in the UK and as you have said limbo was very much my home for that time, I thought the time would never come when I would call this my home, but it did and it will for you too.

The worst part was when I retired in April 2005, we moved from our house in the May and travelled here for two weeks as our belongings were being delivered. OH had to return to the UK as he was not retiring until the end of August, I had a choice I could either stay on my own in Spain or go back with OH and live in my caravan until 18th September; could not live without OH so I went back to UK with him. Had the longest ever summer in my caravan it rained an awful lot. Then the 18th September arrived and we haven't looked back since.

Love and hugs to all of you waiting to make the move the day will come when you will be out here with us to you all
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

mrs teapot will become famous soon enough

Housing market always picks up Easter + onwards. So look forward to lots of viewings.

These questions are to all of you trying to sell UK houses:
Who shows your houses? You or Agent?
Have your house/s been spruced up?
Re-Paint ALL the door frames, skirtings etc (if they are already painted). Re-decorate where you can to make it fresh. Re-look at the front of your house. What can be cleaned/cleared/painted etc?
Throw out (or hide in shed/garage/neighbours shed) all your clutter. Make the house look minimal. Remove all your personal photos - it puts people off. Make sure if you are showing around that you let the people walk into the rooms first. Let them see how big it is, especially bathroom etc. You walk in LAST. Have fresh flowers, clean windows, fresh coffee on the brew.
Empahise every good aspect about the area...closeness to schools, shops etc etc.

But then again, I'm teaching you all to suck eggs, aren't I!

If, a few weeks after Easter, you still haven't had many viewings, can you possibly drop your price to entice more people? I know, I know, you need as much as possible for your new life abroad, but.....
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Kyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really nice

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
According to a tv prog yesterday,the Uk housing market is picking up,so you shouldnt have to wait too long now
Thank god for that. I really hope so. I'm about to put my house on the market. I want to move to Spain end August / beginning September. Two houses in my street have been up for sale for 8 weeks and have gone to "fixed price". Hope I don't have to do that.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Kyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really nice

Originally Posted by mrs teapot
Housing market always picks up Easter + onwards. So look forward to lots of viewings.

These questions are to all of you trying to sell UK houses:
Who shows your houses? You or Agent?
Have your house/s been spruced up?
Re-Paint ALL the door frames, skirtings etc (if they are already painted). Re-decorate where you can to make it fresh. Re-look at the front of your house. What can be cleaned/cleared/painted etc?
Throw out (or hide in shed/garage/neighbours shed) all your clutter. Make the house look minimal. Remove all your personal photos - it puts people off. Make sure if you are showing around that you let the people walk into the rooms first. Let them see how big it is, especially bathroom etc. You walk in LAST. Have fresh flowers, clean windows, fresh coffee on the brew.
Empahise every good aspect about the area...closeness to schools, shops etc etc.

But then again, I'm teaching you all to suck eggs, aren't I!

If, a few weeks after Easter, you still haven't had many viewings, can you possibly drop your price to entice more people? I know, I know, you need as much as possible for your new life abroad, but.....
Good advice Mrs T. I'll bear all that in mind. Thanks.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crispygirl
We bought our house in Spain in Feb 2003 but we did not move out here until Sept 2005 and I can say with my hand on my heart it was the longest period of time I have ever experienced. We wanted to take early retirement but to do this we had to work like crazy for two years to pay for all the work we wanted to do to our Spanish property. We organised ourselves regarding holidays and managed to spend at least five days here every eight weeks, it became harder and harder to return to work after each trip. My line manager always sent me an e-mail just before leaving for my trip asking me if I would promise to be back at work after my holiday. I felt as if my heart was no longer in what I was doing in the UK and as you have said limbo was very much my home for that time, I thought the time would never come when I would call this my home, but it did and it will for you too.

The worst part was when I retired in April 2005, we moved from our house in the May and travelled here for two weeks as our belongings were being delivered. OH had to return to the UK as he was not retiring until the end of August, I had a choice I could either stay on my own in Spain or go back with OH and live in my caravan until 18th September; could not live without OH so I went back to UK with him. Had the longest ever summer in my caravan it rained an awful lot. Then the 18th September arrived and we haven't looked back since.

Love and hugs to all of you waiting to make the move the day will come when you will be out here with us to you all
We are going to buy our house in August while prices are still ok in the area we are moving to hopefully we will be in soon next year at the latest. Worst thing was when we went on hols last August I felt sad at the airport going home as there did not seem anything to go back for strangely Spain felt like home. That must of been hard for you to wait two years, I know what you mean about the job heart does not feel in it anymore. Although I am not anti UK I just want to start my adventure.

Helen
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice

Yes, I just want to go now. Supposed to be exchanging contracts tomorrow, but have had a little indication that my buyer might pull out after all. If they do it will be over the next few days. So please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me. I'm trying to distract myself by packing and repacking.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:59 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Dead right i do helen

Limbo land is the exact term , so annoying waitting and not being able to commit and purchase the new place due to the Uk house not completed , due to the purchasers having trouble with there sale ..

Sometimes you do think oh why bother ? All the hassles , then still got to move out , move to new home ,learn the language , etc,etc..

So yes i know exactly what you mean Its all out of your hands and theres nothing you can do but wait !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.