Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feeling a bit chilly already?

Anyone else feeling a bit chilly already?

Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else feeling a bit chilly already?

Well, I'm in the Axarquia too, and not feeling at all cold yet. The temperature in the house is still 24C, haven't put a quilt on the bed yet, just a sheet and a thin fleece blanket which we have to pull over us some time in the early hours. Still wearing sleeveless dresses or tops (me!) and shorts (the OH) and sandals.

But we are in Velez-Malaga, only 4km from the coast, so maybe you are nearer to the mountains.

Back in England I lived 1000 ft above sea level and believe me that cured me of wanting to live in the hills, the weather was terrible.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Well, I'm in the Axarquia too, and not feeling at all cold yet. The temperature in the house is still 24C, haven't put a quilt on the bed yet, just a sheet and a thin fleece blanket which we have to pull over us some time in the early hours. Still wearing sleeveless dresses or tops (me!) and shorts (the OH) and sandals.

But we are in Velez-Malaga, only 4km from the coast, so maybe you are nearer to the mountains.

Back in England I lived 1000 ft above sea level and believe me that cured me of wanting to live in the hills, the weather was terrible.
That's probably it We are in the mountains behind Periana. We always notice the change in temperature when we drive down to Velez. The first winter we were here we used to get all dressed up in long trousers, woollen jumpers, warm jackets etc. only to get to Velez & Torré (only a 40 minute drive away) to find everyone in shorts & T-shirts and we'd be sweltering!

(MY sig has a link to something I wrote a while ago about the snow we had a couple of years ago!)

Old Oct 15th 2010, 6:32 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's back to Jeans and trainers for me, and a T shirt, or even a rugby shirt on top of that if it's a cold night. The Duvet is on, and has been for a few weeks now, but please god we don't have to light the stove for a long while yet.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:26 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’m still in shorts and there’s a cooling fan above my head. We’ve got three young family members over from England at the moment and they were splashing about in the pool earlier, at 18 degrees. I stop going in at 20.

We still haven’t put the carpets down either. But the dark clouds are gathering.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:44 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I wore my long coat and scarf today, for the first time since April. Although we should escape it here in London, frost is forecast tonight for parts of the UK. The clocks go back in a couple of weeks, and it'll then be dark at 4 most evenings. Autumn is often very beautiful in the UK because of the trees and leaves, but unfortunately the days in which to enjoy them are very short. Still, the Xmas adverts have started here Yep, I'm jealous of you guys in Spain!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:50 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I wore my long coat and scarf today, for the first time since April. Although we should escape it here in London, frost is forecast tonight for parts of the UK. The clocks go back in a couple of weeks, and it'll then be dark at 4 most evenings. Autumn is often very beautiful in the UK because of the trees and leaves, but unfortunately the days in which to enjoy them are very short. Still, the Xmas adverts have started here Yep, I'm jealous of you guys in Spain!
Autumn. That's the season where the sky is grey, the ground is squishy and the clincher, the leaves are brown.

As opposed to winter when everything is the same except there are no leaves......
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:01 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Autumn. That's the season where the sky is grey, the ground is squishy and the clincher, the leaves are brown.

As opposed to winter when everything is the same except there are no leaves......
Except not true,even the coastal areas can experience temperatures down to zero and bad spells of weather.
The Canaries is the handiest place to virtually avoid Winter.
Spain can often be typical of the UK, the Canaries very rarely.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:05 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Except not true,even the coastal areas can experience temperatures down to zero and bad spells of weather.
The Canaries is the handiest place to virtually avoid Winter.
Spain can often be typical of the UK, the Canaries very rarely.
That's why we opted for the far south. The last thing wanted was more of the UK's appalling climate.

We go down to sub zero a few times, which comes as a nasty shock for the less hardy plants. However, the important difference is this. No matter how bad the Spanish winter, I know that there will be a good summer waiting in the wings.

In the Uk, an indifferent shite winter was all too often followed by an indifferent, shite, spring, summer and then autumn.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
That's why we opted for the far south. The last thing wanted was more of the UK's appalling climate.

We go down to sub zero a few times, which comes as a nasty shock
You live in the wrong part of the deep south bil

Sub zero is unknown here
Old Oct 16th 2010, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone else feeling a bit chilly already?

Originally Posted by Fredbargate

Sub zero is unknown here
Yes last winter, which those that know this part of the deep south say, was the worst for 70 yes 70 years my outdoor thermometer which transmits inside and records max and min told me the lowest temp reached in 24 hrs over the period Oct 09 to Oct 10 was 2.5*
Old Oct 16th 2010, 8:33 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Fredbargate

Sub zero is unknown here
Well, we chose the south atlantic coast for a number of reasons. We didn't want to be on the Costa Hormigòn, so the Costa de la Luz was all that was left. We may get the odd subzero night, which is a pain, as you end up protecting your tender plants a lot of nights unnecesarily, but miss the wrong night, and you lose some lovely plants.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone else feeling a bit chilly already?

Originally Posted by bil
Well, we chose the south atlantic coast for a number of reasons. We didn't want to be on the Costa Hormigòn, so the Costa de la Luz was all that was left. We may get the odd subzero night, which is a pain, as you end up protecting your tender plants a lot of nights unnecesarily, but miss the wrong night, and you lose some lovely plants.
We are here on the CDL but north of you and perhaps lower just 20m or so above sea level.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I'm away from the Hormigon but nat far enough.

Last winter the minimum recorded was 5c
Old Oct 16th 2010, 9:13 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by John & Kath
We are here on the CDL but north of you and perhaps lower just 20m or so above sea level.
I'm not sure if we aren't lower, as we are on the banks of what was the La Janda lagoon.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 10:44 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Oh diddums... bless you all! They give it snow for the tail end of next week on high ground! SNOW!!! Its bloody October! Snow!!!

This global warming is really confusing ya know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.