Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any Help for Self Employed

Any Help for Self Employed

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:15 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Help for Self Employed

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Does anyone have more information on the nil payments? Someone mentioned it nearer the beginning of this thread...

My unemployment benefits run out in 2 months and I am going to start a business.....I applied for 2 grants back in June that I am waiting to hear from...... but if i do not get any help I will have to delay becoming legal!

I simply cannot afford to pay the 265€ a month whilst the business is starting up!
I think that was fionamc who mentioned that - & I'm pretty sure she meant in the UK..............

and as cricketman said - a lot simply don't register until they get their first payment
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:50 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Veleta
I managed to successfully get two grants and I am a small business.

The great thing is that once you are "on the radar", whenever a new grant comes out they telephone you to see if you want to apply for it.

I had a telephone call this week from the Camara de Comercio letting me know that a new grant for women has just gone online. I'm going to find out about it but haven't had time yet.
Veleta, how do you get "on the radar" ? I´ve recently applied for a grant as well. But being a man and not under 35 and not over 45 it´s difficult to get any extra´s that can help me starting up.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:53 pm
Jur

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Does anyone have more information on the nil payments? Someone mentioned it nearer the beginning of this thread...

My unemployment benefits run out in 2 months and I am going to start a business.....I applied for 2 grants back in June that I am waiting to hear from...... but if i do not get any help I will have to delay becoming legal!

I simply cannot afford to pay the 265€ a month whilst the business is starting up!
The grants are being treated by the junta, I´ve been told not to count on anything and that it can take 10-12 months before getting any sort of outcome.

This is important: Anything you will need to buy for your business will have to be bought while you are in the "alta" AND always pay by bankcard or by transfer. Payments which you have done in cash are not accepted.

Friend of mine did get his grant granted in the form of a letter to confirm that it´s been awarded. He did not receive any money yet.....

Last edited by Jur; Feb 3rd 2010 at 7:55 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rotor
Ive been autonomo for 5 years paying tax etc but never had one call,My office is open every day
If you just sit back and wait for the the call you won't get it!!!!

Get yourself on the radar, then they will call.

By that I mean visit the Camara de Comercio and register yourself. Go to the whatever your local Servicios Empresariales organisation is called and get yourself registered there too. Got a female partner? Get her registered with the Instituto de Mujeres. Do you have a Red Territorial de Empresarios? Register there too.

It only takes 5 minutes to register in each one and then you will get their circulars about grants/free training courses/micro credits, etc. It keeps you in the loop.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jur
Veleta, how do you get "on the radar" ? I´ve recently applied for a grant as well. But being a man and not under 35 and not over 45 it´s difficult to get any extra´s that can help me starting up.
Hi Jur

I'm pretty up to speed with what is available in my area, but not so much where you are.

Try:
Camara de Comercio
soyempresaria.com (females only)
Instituto de la Mujer (females only)
Red Teritorial de Empresarios
I have Cadiz Emprende. Perhaps there is a Huelva Emprende too?
Red de Cooperacion de Emprendedores.
Junta de Andalucia - Ayudas

Some of these offer grants and free training. Others just offer free advice for small businesses. But whatever it is that they offer, it's free and keeps you informed about what is going on/what's available.

The grants tend to go online and offline throughout the year. So if there is nothing that you can apply for today, it doesnt mean that there will be nothing tomorrow. But if you get yourself on these mailing lists, at least you'll be informed when a new one goes online and you won't miss the boat.

BTW - if you do apply for a grant, expect the money to arrive at least a year or so later. These things don't happen quickly. But hey, I ain't complaining about free money!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:38 pm
Jur

Originally Posted by Veleta
Hi Jur

I'm pretty up to speed with what is available in my area, but not so much where you are.

Try:
Camara de Comercio
soyempresaria.com (females only)
Instituto de la Mujer (females only)
Red Teritorial de Empresarios
I have Cadiz Emprende. Perhaps there is a Huelva Emprende too?
Red de Cooperacion de Emprendedores.
Junta de Andalucia - Ayudas

Some of these offer grants and free training. Others just offer free advice for small businesses. But whatever it is that they offer, it's free and keeps you informed about what is going on/what's available.

The grants tend to go online and offline throughout the year. So if there is nothing that you can apply for today, it doesnt mean that there will be nothing tomorrow. But if you get yourself on these mailing lists, at least you'll be informed when a new one goes online and you won't miss the boat.

BTW - if you do apply for a grant, expect the money to arrive at least a year or so later. These things don't happen quickly. But hey, I ain't complaining about free money!
Thanks! Very, very useful! I did apply for a grant and received an invitation to participate in a marketing & tools course, but unfortunately I´m starting up on March 15th where the course runs untill April. But I´ll look into those sites.

Let´s keep this thread going!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jur
Thanks! Very, very useful! I did apply for a grant and received an invitation to participate in a marketing & tools course, but unfortunately I´m starting up on March 15th where the course runs untill April. But I´ll look into those sites.

Let´s keep this thread going!
Just to elaborate a bit further on the above, my favourites are the Camara de Comercio. They telephone me a couple of times a year to ask how my business is progressing and if everying thing is ok. Bless

The Red Teritorial de Emprendedores (called CADE in my town) do TONS of free courses for autonomos. Most are quick and simple half-day type things. Like "how to fill in your tax return forms" or "SL or autonomo, which should I choose", or "presentation of X grant", or "intro to e-commerce". I get emailed about once a week with the upcoming courses.

These things are great for networking too if that's your sort of thing.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, yes I meant in the UK ref nil payments.

A minor curve ball.... how does 'contract' type work come under the Spanish system; I'm absolutely not in a million years doing anything at the moment but if I were and had received no payment yet but might expect to receive some money but not sure in what currency nor from where.... how does that work?
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw

A minor curve ball.... how does 'contract' type work come under the Spanish system; I'm absolutely not in a million years doing anything at the moment but if I were and had received no payment yet but might expect to receive some money but not sure in what currency nor from where.... how does that work?
My OH does contract work for translations and things, some in the UK and some in Spain. It depends how long it will take you to get paid. (I think) you are meant to pay your taxes on the work you have done at the time rather than the amount you receive in invoices each month.

But I wouldnt worry about that too much, I'd just declare the money you receive from each invoice. Doesnt matter what currency or country it is from. However, there are different IVA rules depending on what country you are dealing with and teh service you are providing. The IVA rules are very complicated!
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
The grants are being treated by the junta, I´ve been told not to count on anything and that it can take 10-12 months before getting any sort of outcome.

This is important: Anything you will need to buy for your business will have to be bought while you are in the "alta" AND always pay by bankcard or by transfer. Payments which you have done in cash are not accepted.

Friend of mine did get his grant granted in the form of a letter to confirm that it´s been awarded. He did not receive any money yet.....
Cash reciepts are legal so long as they show your NIE and the vendors CIF/DNI ,even supermarkets will give you an official reciept if you ask.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Stigey is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a fantastic thread folks, i'm planning the move around 2011 self employed as I am in Ireland with in the automotive IT area..

Thanks all and keep the info coming...............

Dara.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cricketman
However, as you are female and (I'm guessing) under 35 you will be entitled to reduced payments (I think around 180 euros a month) for the first 2 years of being autonomo.
Am liking the sound of this, I am female and under 35..... can anyone confirm this reduced payment amount?

Thanks very helpful thread!
Old Feb 4th 2010, 11:53 am
Jur

Originally Posted by Rotor
Cash reciepts are legal so long as they show your NIE and the vendors CIF/DNI ,even supermarkets will give you an official reciept if you ask.
It was the CADE who told me, it did sound a bit strange to me. As long as you have the correct & detailled invoice it should be legal I think.

I´ll check with the accountant tomorrow.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
My OH does contract work for translations and things, some in the UK and some in Spain. It depends how long it will take you to get paid. (I think) you are meant to pay your taxes on the work you have done at the time rather than the amount you receive in invoices each month.

But I wouldnt worry about that too much, I'd just declare the money you receive from each invoice. Doesnt matter what currency or country it is from. However, there are different IVA rules depending on what country you are dealing with and teh service you are providing. The IVA rules are very complicated!
And autonomo? Are you obliged to pay the 265€ monthly despite having no actual contracts for months or maybe best part of a year at a time?
Old Feb 4th 2010, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

And autonomo? Are you obliged to pay the 265€ monthly despite having no actual contracts for months or maybe best part of a year at a time?
Well if you are registered as autonomo you'd have to pay the 265 euros whether you have work or not. So you'd have to sign onto the paro again if you're not expecting work for a period. Would be a pain.

If it were me, I'd worry about all this once you've won the work. You'll be in a better position to decide what to do then. You could be sneaky and invoice through the UK if it's a one-off...(did I just say that? )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.