Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any Help for Self Employed

Any Help for Self Employed

Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Jontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura about
Default Any Help for Self Employed

Does anyone know if there is any help in the current economic climate for Autonomo workers? I have a small business that is struggling at the moment and I am finding it ever more difficult each month to make my Autonomo payment of €265 monthly. If I do not make this payment I cannot work. Is there any short term relief, or lower payments? Or do I just end up being illegal? Presumably then getting fined.
It is so difficult to know what to do as some months I do not make enough to cover my running expenses, but if I stop paying I cannot work if there is some money to earn. I have rental to pay on my premises and I hold a fair amount of stock too. If I get rid of this then I will have no chance of supporting myself if things improve. Plus, surely things will improve!! It is a lot of money to pay out just for the privilege of being able to try to earn some money.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Help for Self Employed

Originally Posted by Jontee
. Plus, surely things will improve!!.
Surely they will, but I think the consensus of opinion is that there is a lot of pain still to come unfortunately. Don't know what line of business you are in, but I doubt things like construction or tourism will be suddenly be on the up. A lot of rental people are already complaining about next years bookings being down, some hotels even closing for the winter, I foresee a difficult time for many, far too many properties chasing a falling number of people. I wish you luck, but these are tough times.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

There is a new measure in place to allow autónomos to claim some kind of support, but as with employees, it depends on your contributions over the past year or two.

Have a look here

http://www.portalautonomos.com/index...idad/?id=38156
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Jontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura about

I am not in the property or tourist industry, I have had a shop for the last 7 years, and paid autonomo. But since October 2008 each month has been worse than the one before!
Thanks Rachelk, that link is interesting but I am not sure I have understood it precisely. Is it stating that you can claim benefit for ceasing the self-employed activity?
Although I do not want to cease, if things do not improve soon I will have no choice. It would be great if there could be a system where you need not pay the full €256 autonomo if income is below a certain figure. If self employed workers just pack up the government will be paying out millions, whereas if there was a reduced autonomo payment many may try to ride the storm.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:49 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I am not in the property or tourist industry, I have had a shop for the last 7 years, and paid autonomo. But since October 2008 each month has been worse than the one before!
Thanks Rachelk, that link is interesting but I am not sure I have understood it precisely. Is it stating that you can claim benefit for ceasing the self-employed activity?
Although I do not want to cease, if things do not improve soon I will have no choice. It would be great if there could be a system where you need not pay the full €256 autonomo if income is below a certain figure. If self employed workers just pack up the government will be paying out millions, whereas if there was a reduced autonomo payment many may try to ride the storm.
What kind of shop is it? Is there no way of subletting part of the shop to someone (to bring in extra income)? Or can't you smuggle in 2000 packets of tea from the UK to gain some time? Seriously I hope someone here can come up with ideas of how to reverse your decline in income. If you're spending time working out how to avoid paying the auotonomo payments it sounds like your business is in a bit of a rough spell, and you'll need to work out how to reverse the situation.

Try asking for help/business ideas on http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/ Ok, so it's a UK forum but you get businessmen (and women) from all over who may be able to help.

Also if you think a website may be able to attract more customers, send me a PM as I can set up one for you (initial pages foc as I'm not otherwise employed at the mo).

Lastly - don't know what other folk here think - but does there need to be an association or club for English speaking autonomos in Spain? I know a lot of the questions can and do get answered here, but it may be a good networking opportunity?

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Nov 16th 2009 at 4:51 pm. Reason: terrible spelling typos
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I am not in the property or tourist industry, I have had a shop for the last 7 years,
You've got me thinking now, trying to think of all the shops in Frigiliana!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Jontee, I don't know how or even if it works. But it reads to me as though you'd be entitled to benefits for 6 months, the maximum, having paid contributions for more than 3 years.

I'd ask at the INEM office to be sure. And I agree, surely some assistance or break in your contributions which would enable you to keep trading would be better.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rachelk
There is a new measure in place to allow autónomos to claim some kind of support, but as with employees, it depends on your contributions over the past year or two.

Have a look here

http://www.portalautonomos.com/index...idad/?id=38156
I think you only receive two months' payment for every year of contributions. Also, it doesn't come into effect yet (although I don't think that is mentioned in the article). But anyway, it is only for autonomos who shut up shop completely and go out of business.

To my knowledge there is no help for autonomos who want to stay in business but are struggling.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:53 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if there is any help in the current economic climate for Autonomo workers? I have a small business that is struggling at the moment and I am finding it ever more difficult each month to make my Autonomo payment of €265 monthly. If I do not make this payment I cannot work. Is there any short term relief, or lower payments? Or do I just end up being illegal? Presumably then getting fined.
It is so difficult to know what to do as some months I do not make enough to cover my running expenses, but if I stop paying I cannot work if there is some money to earn. I have rental to pay on my premises and I hold a fair amount of stock too. If I get rid of this then I will have no chance of supporting myself if things improve. Plus, surely things will improve!! It is a lot of money to pay out just for the privilege of being able to try to earn some money.
Personally I do not think you can either stop or reduce the payments.
Maybe the best option is to ask your Gestor as they know all the ins and outs of the Spanish law.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:12 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

After contributing for 8 years into the Seguridad Social system the only help I´ve received in the last year is the Ayuda Familiar, which is € 433,- per month. According to the Inem there´s no other financial help for autonomos. I´ve taken part in the plan MEMTA to achieve work quicker but it has proven (to me) to be useless.

You could try to get declared insane, the financial companstion is € 750,- per month. (last I heard).
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:28 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
After contributing for 8 years into the Seguridad Social system the only help I´ve received in the last year is the Ayuda Familiar, which is € 433,- per month. According to the Inem there´s no other financial help for autonomos. I´ve taken part in the plan MEMTA to achieve work quicker but it has proven (to me) to be useless.

You could try to get declared insane, the financial companstion is € 750,- per month. (last I heard).

Manicomio here we come.................
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Canguro is an unknown quantity at this point

If I was autonomo and with my earnings I couldn't afford to pay 3200€ p.a. for SS then I would change jobs ASAP
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:40 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canguro
If I was autonomo and with my earnings I couldn't afford to pay 3200€ p.a. for SS then I would change jobs ASAP
To be fair to the OP, he's said that it's become bad in the last few months because of the recession. Unfortunately there are bound to be a lot in a similar boat. Changing their job or business may not be an option in the current economic climate.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your input Canguro, but how would you “change jobs ASAP” ?
I would either need to find someone who is actually taking on staff at the moment (some chance), or continue paying my €256 per month whilst looking for self employed work. I have been gainfully working for 7 years, with things only beginning to slide at the end of last year. I believe you have been in your business for 2, so I wish you well for the next 5 years.

Jur, what is Ayuda Familiar? Is it what it sounds like – help for families with children? We are just a couple here so probably not of any use to me.

I will look into the other useful ideas, thanks everyone. But I just know what will happen, as it always does for me, I will probably not fit all the criteria for help. Even when starting my business I was one month too late to receive a grant towards set-up costs. So now I am sure if I do pack it in I will be just too soon for the proposed help. C’est la Vie. Or should that be Así es la Vida !!
Old Nov 24th 2009, 4:05 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jontee, the "Ayuda familiar" is indeed help for families who are not entitled to any other financial help, apply for it in the Inem office. You will need to bring your ID/NIE, Libro de Familia (if you have one), tarjeta de residencia, a copy of your Vida Laboral.

Another example, my children go to the same school (age 3 and 5), if I wish to put them both in the comedor, I will have to pay for only one.
They also participate in extra classes after regular school (Inglés, Megataller). Normally theses classs cost € 15,- per class,month,child (€ 60,- total) but after asking in the Secretaria of the school we don´t have to pay for that either. (A calculation has been made based on our income) So there is some help available in various forms. Good luck and hang in there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.