Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any extras to the State Pension??

Any extras to the State Pension??

Old Nov 4th 2011, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Any extras to the State Pension??

I am now receiving my State Pension from the UK and having spoken to someone in the DWP when I was there does anyone know if there are any allowances one can obtain whilst living in Spain as they do not seem to know..
Old Nov 4th 2011, 8:30 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any extras to the State Pension??

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
I am now receiving my State Pension from the UK and having spoken to someone in the DWP when I was there does anyone know if there are any allowances one can obtain whilst living in Spain as they do not seem to know..
afaik the only added allowance you can still claim is the Cold Weather one - and that only if you were already receiving it before you left the UK
Old Nov 4th 2011, 8:42 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
afaik the only added allowance you can still claim is the Cold Weather one - and that only if you were already receiving it before you left the UK
I 'm sure you mean the Winter Fuel Payment but confusingly there is actually another allowance called a Cold Weather Payment - you get a payment automatically if the temperature is below freezing for 7 days.

You certainly won't get that one in Spain!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 8:56 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I 'm sure you mean the Winter Fuel Payment but confusingly there is actually another allowance called a Cold Weather Payment - you get a payment automatically if the temperature is below freezing for 7 days.

You certainly won't get that one in Spain!
that's the one
Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

This is the best site to start research on those issues
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...ions-benefits/

also try and attend one of the consulates roadshows - I have just had an article published here - see pg 18
http://issuu.com/timadmin/docs/november-11
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Any extras to the State Pension??

Originally Posted by spainrico
This is the best site to start research on those issues
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...ions-benefits/

also try and attend one of the consulates roadshows - I have just had an article published here - see pg 18
http://issuu.com/timadmin/docs/november-11
Thank you everyone..it is I thought...we are expected to live as a married couple on 120 pounds a week! Its a good job I live in Goa half the year!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:07 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't they kicked out a lot of Brits in Goa?
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Haven't they kicked out a lot of Brits in Goa?
In a way but most have left of their own accord due to the problems of property ownership and the visa. If you get a 6 month tourist visa you have to leave and stay out of India for two months before returning. Obviously that has made retiring here an impossiblity. Its such a shame for the local economy but they are now relying on the domestic Indian market..if you have over 600 million people under thirty then you have a good client base!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 1:12 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds nearly as bad as the US 6 months in and 6 months out
Old Nov 4th 2011, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Sounds nearly as bad as the US 6 months in and 6 months out
But nothing like UK, everyone can stay forever! Didn't catch all the details, but this morning there was something on the news about they don't know where 125,000 immigrants are, they've lost them!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agoreira
But nothing like UK, everyone can stay forever! Didn't catch all the details, but this morning there was something on the news about they don't know where 125,000 immigrants are, they've lost them!
They easily get lost with all the existing immigrants. As we only go there once a year we notice what everyone seems to have got used to..and that is??? the country is full of immigrants! even the girl at immigration was Polish..........!! We had to laugh!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 2:40 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Thank you everyone..it is I thought...we are expected to live as a married couple on 120 pounds a week! Its a good job I live in Goa half the year!
it's more or less what Spanish pensioners live on
Old Nov 4th 2011, 2:48 pm
Banned

They easily get lost with all the existing immigrants. As we only go there once a year we notice what everyone seems to have got used to..and that is??? the country is full of immigrants! even the girl at immigration was Polish..........!! We had to laugh!
I thought you had to be British to be an immigration Officer
Old Nov 4th 2011, 3:04 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

In a way but most have left of their own accord due to the problems of property ownership and the visa. If you get a 6 month tourist visa you have to leave and stay out of India for two months before returning. Obviously that has made retiring here an impossiblity. Its such a shame for the local economy but they are now relying on the domestic Indian market..if you have over 600 million people under thirty then you have a good client base!
And I thought India was part of the Commonwealth, but if the UK tried to do that it would be all wrong.....Article 8 Human Rights Act (?)
but it is an idea.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
it's more or less what Spanish pensioners live on
£120 pw is about right for a full UK State pension so that's about £7250 pa and if we average the exchange at £1 : €1,10 that's about €8000 pa. I heard that the full Spanish pension was about €1000 pm so about €12000 pa.

This squares with the fact that the standard UK State pension is one of the lowest in Europe. Lower even than some of the East European new members. It's OK if you qualify and can have all the top ups and add on's such as pension credit and housing benefit then I guess it is about the same as the Spanish pension but of course a UK State pensioner does not qualify for the add on's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.