Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Animal barbarism in Spain

Animal barbarism in Spain

Old Dec 19th 2009, 6:39 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Animal barbarism in Spain

My English Springer used to eat snails, maybe he was more French that English.

I don't no about animal cruelty in Spain, but some of the animals i've seen in the UK by so called animal lovers is certainly a misreprisentation of the UK being a nation of animals lovers.

In a park a few months ago we strolled past a bull dog that was so fat if I threw it of a clif it would have bounced, a lot.

Do the Spanish have an RSPCA, one may assume it wouldn't need one, the UK though obviously keep them busy.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
I knew some Spanish kids who used too catch frogs and blow up there arses, they would inflate until death took away there misfortune.

Today is an arse day.
My Dad and his mates used to that as kids (he is spanish.) My spanish mates just threw them to each other to play catch - they bounced all over the place. Died eventually.....the frogs...
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:56 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

My English Springer used to eat snails, maybe he was more French that English.

I don't no about animal cruelty in Spain, but some of the animals i've seen in the UK by so called animal lovers is certainly a misreprisentation of the UK being a nation of animals lovers.

In a park a few months ago we strolled past a bull dog that was so fat if I threw it of a clif it would have bounced, a lot.

Do the Spanish have an RSPCA, one may assume it wouldn't need one, the UK though obviously keep them busy.
Not sure about an RSPCA, but they do run quite a few voluntary animal rescue centres throughout the country,some just for dogs and others with quite a mix of creatures,...yes quite a lot of them do care and help out all they can with such things as the poor stray hunting dogs.
Others are run with a mix of Europeans including quite a few Brits.,mostly with voluntary contributions and fund raising efforts.
I have foster cared for a few dogs before, but not been able to take a one permanently.
Theres an interesting one at Guadalest near Benidorm with an unusual mix of animals, including some rescued from travelling circuses.
Last time I was there they had a lion which they said some Spanish guy had been using as a watchdog for his factory,can you believe!......
Old Dec 19th 2009, 9:13 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
they said some Spanish guy had been using as a watchdog for his factory,can you believe!......

Old Dec 20th 2009, 12:22 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebsyW
My Dad and his mates used to that as kids (he is spanish.) My spanish mates just threw them to each other to play catch - they bounced all over the place. Died eventually.....the frogs...
Kids used to do that here as well though unfortunately
Old Dec 20th 2009, 12:51 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Kids used to do that here as well though unfortunately
did they?

I never heard of it
Old Dec 20th 2009, 2:40 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
did they?

I never heard of it
I have - lots of the older lads used to do it here when we were younger - i was never around to see or hear it happen as ive never been into any sort of cruelty at all

Now spiders are entirely another matter
Old Dec 20th 2009, 3:05 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
I have - lots of the older lads used to do it here when we were younger - i was never around to see or hear it happen as ive never been into any sort of cruelty at all

Now spiders are entirely another matter
northern thing
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:00 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

There is to me a major difference between those who are empathetic to other living things, and those who almost are anti cruelty as a fashion item.

I think that empathy has to be taught, learned, and in Spain, I think that so many people were abused by the right and the church under Franco that a whole generation grew up that way. Look how the abused and bullied so often grow up to be abusers. No real surprise to me that so many Spaniards lack empathy to animals.

I can't agree with the concept that all life is sacred. After all, if that is the case then we would have to leave mosquitoes, rats and bacteria alone. Equally we should not live by the concept that all living things are there to serve our needs and nothing else.

I do think that before you kill anything you should consider whether what you are doing is justified. Killing flies and rats is fine because they are a damn nuisance at times. If you eat meat of any kind, then you at least owe that animal a decent quality of life if that is at all possible.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:33 pm
Happy in my bubble

Originally Posted by lynnxa
northern thing
hahahahaha cheeky mare
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 5:53 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bil
There is to me a major difference between those who are empathetic to other living things, and those who almost are anti cruelty as a fashion item.

I think that empathy has to be taught, learned, and in Spain, I think that so many people were abused by the right and the church under Franco that a whole generation grew up that way. Look how the abused and bullied so often grow up to be abusers. No real surprise to me that so many Spaniards lack empathy to animals.

I can't agree with the concept that all life is sacred. After all, if that is the case then we would have to leave mosquitoes, rats and bacteria alone. Equally we should not live by the concept that all living things are there to serve our needs and nothing else.

I do think that before you kill anything you should consider whether what you are doing is justified. Killing flies and rats is fine because they are a damn nuisance at times. If you eat meat of any kind, then you at least owe that animal a decent quality of life if that is at all possible.
Good post.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 5:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by bil

very well-balanced, well thought out
Old Dec 24th 2009, 7:25 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Well, it isnt called a bull fight in Spanish. It is the "corrida de toros" which is kind of like a "bull run". This is because during fiesta time there is the running of the bulls through the village streets into the bullring

There is no disguising what is happening in the Spanish, what we call "bull fighters" in English are called "killers" in Spanish "matadores" and the "picadillos" who are kind of like "stabbers".

The bulls are thought of as "noble" beasts and are treated just like nobles during their life. Some may say that the bulls are just fulfilling their destiny because the type of bulls have been bred throughout history to fulfill their role, just as we have bred animals to eat or give milk.

I have to say I hated the idea of bullfights, but after learning a little about them and watching on TV, it truely is an art. I liken the toreros to male flamenco dancers. They are masculin, skilled, brave and graceful all at the same time.
Kudos to you for clarifying the language differences and for being so open minded...

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Interesting to note that the Catalan parliament is at present debating a complete ban on "bull-fighting" and a vote is expected tomorrow.
I had been under the impression it already was banned,but maybe that was by various local authorities and not therefore the law of the land.
The vast majority of Catalans are either against the practice or indifferent to it, having got together numerous petitions to stop it over the years.
I also believe its banned or has not taken place in the Canaries for many years.
Bullfighting is just a tradition and, as such, it spread in some parts of Spain and in some countries/continents more than others. In the Canary Islands there is only a bull ring in Tenerife I believe, which hasn't been used for many years. I don't know if it still stands, I remember hearing that it was going to get demolished. Catalans in general aren't big fans of bullfighting. Where I come from (I'm Castilian) bullfighting is a big thing so I grew up with it all around me. Nowadays I have mixed feelings about it and it was a subject I always tried to avoid while I lived in England. I simply gave up trying to explain what it was to mostly "animal rights people" (they were usually the keenest enquirers and the quickest to judge) and, I must say, in the same breath, that for the most part I had no respect or patience for these people. I couldn't comprehend their double standards. They were often the kind of people that would be only too happy to put their parents in a home and literally forget about them while bragging about animal rights, they annoyed me no end!. I'm not saying that I don't care for animals, but some people have some strange priorities!

Originally Posted by cricketman
I'm also against cruelty to people... and that's the big problem

We let millions of people each year starve, have lack of water, have dirty water, die from diseases that are easily preventables etc.. all becuase we are greedy and selfish

I'd rather save a person than save a donkey
Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Actually cricketman has raised a much bigger point. While I do find it hypocritical that people bang on endlessly about animals rights while they stand by and allow chickens and livestock in general to be raised in filth and misery worldwide its the way we treat our fellow man that really has to be looked at in more depth.
Exactly my point...

Originally Posted by Jur
Why do we have to go trough this again? Spain (The Spain that I know) takes a different view on animals than we do. Donkey´s are to work on the land, Dogs to guard the house, Cats to catch mice, Birds to keep in tiny cages and make pretty sounds. Bulls to die brave in a blaze of Glory.
Here animals have another purpose than to be a housepet.
I'd never thought of it that way but this sounds quite right...
Old Dec 24th 2009, 9:40 am
Banned

I agree with Jeremy Clarkson that the best way to ensure an animal does not become extinct is too eat it.

Science would soon find a way to breed Panda's more succesfully if people started eating them.

As previously stated the Spanish bulls would not survive if they stop using them.

The bull is also not wasted, you can purchase the meat from the bull you watched, so there is no waste.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 7:57 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bit racist innit?
I never asked the nationality of the frogs

Well? Is there any or is it just the rising tide of namby pamby whining guardian readers who eat mung beans and wear socks with sandals and listen to pan pipe music and actually enjoy it? Does it really matter if a few bulls get tormented before they die or is it actually something that helps to improve and enhance the meat?

What is your take on the Spanish and their barbaric ways with animals?
Animal barbarism in Spain? No more than in other countries IMO