Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ah! The Daily Mail

Ah! The Daily Mail

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:44 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ah! The Daily Mail

Originally Posted by cricketman
No, although there is plenty of right wing press in Spain it isnt patronising and condoscending about how people live their lives. Just scarily religious and fascist

I also find the Guardian to be like Daily Mail (although slightly more liberal than the Mail). Always telling you what you should think, buy and be doing in your life, it's like brain washing!

Maybe it is a trait of the British middle classes, they dont like people who either are doing better than them, or live a very different life to them.

Good one. I think you are dead right, but I think it applies to a wider class basis, with working class people looking down on other W class people who try and better themselves.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
will you lot stop worrying about house prices, the weather, how terrible the UK is and defending why ypu live in Spain.

I have a place in the UK and Spain and love both countries. It's not a contest as to what's best.

It's about what suits you.
I`m with you on that one , Spain suits oldies and retiree`s on a low income as property is generally cheaper but it`s not the place to be if you have to work , if your comfortably well off you can choose where you live and at what time of year.

Spains roads are quiet because there bugger all happening in business ,when there`s tailbacks for miles on the N340 due to volume of traffic the the economy will be booming (unless its because everyones leaving)
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:41 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I`m with you on that one , Spain suits oldies and retiree`s on a low income as property is generally cheaper but it`s not the place to be if you have to work , if your comfortably well off you can choose where you live and at what time of year.

Spains roads are quiet because there bugger all happening in business ,when there`s tailbacks for miles on the N340 due to volume of traffic the the economy will be booming (unless its because everyones leaving)
God bless early retirement!

There are butterflies in the garden (red admirals, no less) we are picking strawberries and the sky is perfectly blue with not a cloud in sight. I would consider myself blessed to have a day like this in mid summer in the UK.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Maybe it is a trait of the British middle classes, they dont like people who either are doing better than them, or live a very different life to them.

I remember reading that both you and Bil imagined that you were middle class, so are you describing yourself?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=cricketman;9195777]I also find the Guardian to be like Daily Mail (although slightly more liberal than the Mail). Always telling you what you should think, buy and be doing in your life, it's like brain washing!
QUOTE]

Do you actually read any of these papers, other than occasionally? Most of the contributers here seem to delight in admitting total ignorance other than they wouldn't be seen dead reading the Daily Mail, which hardly seems to make them fair critics, in fact quite the reverse.

Not that the Mail needs more converts it seems to manage quite well in comparison with many of the other papers, who seem desperate to sign up paying readers of their on-line additions from the Times downwards.

I'm not saying you should read any of them but it would be nice to know where people stand and not that they only get their information from the BBC and Sky news who are equally as biased as the Newspapers.

Jim
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
God bless early retirement!

There are butterflies in the garden (red admirals, no less) we are picking strawberries and the sky is perfectly blue with not a cloud in sight. I would consider myself blessed to have a day like this in mid summer in the UK.
I guess the Poncenby-Smyth's of this world will be relaxing in the
orangery at their Berkshire country mansion
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bigger Jim;9196317]
I also find the Guardian to be like Daily Mail (although slightly more liberal than the Mail). Always telling you what you should think, buy and be doing in your life, it's like brain washing!
QUOTE]

Do you actually read any of these papers, other than occasionally? Most of the contributers here seem to delight in admitting total ignorance other than they wouldn't be seen dead reading the Daily Mail, which hardly seems to make them fair critics, in fact quite the reverse.

Not that the Mail needs more converts it seems to manage quite well in comparison with many of the other papers, who seem desperate to sign up paying readers of their on-line additions from the Times downwards.

I'm not saying you should read any of them but it would be nice to know where people stand and not that they only get their information from the BBC and Sky news who are equally as biased as the Newspapers.

Jim

British newspapers are particularly bad because they do not report the news, they are mainly full of lifestyle columns dressed up to appear as news. Even though I dont like the Guardian I read the online version of it (because it is the lesser of the evils) and the BBC.

In Spain I read almost predominently El Pais which is an excellent newspaper and rely on Cuatro for sport and La Sexta for the news. The left-wing press in Spain is excellent, while the right-way press is embarrasing!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=cricketman;9196340]
Originally Posted by Bigger Jim

British newspapers are particularly bad because they do not report the news, they are mainly full of lifestyle columns dressed up to appear as news. Even though I dont like the Guardian I read the online version of it (because it is the lesser of the evils) and the BBC!
I tend not to read the lifestyle columns also but in that case I skip them. I don't like the Guardian all that much either but this is because of my science bias and the Guardian has never been renowned for it science coverage and I much prefer the Telegraph. But to be fair I do read the "Mail" and enjoy the responses of the readers as unlike the Guardian they are not heavily censored if the paper doesn't agree with the reader comments.

So now we know where at least two of us stand.

Jim
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
We obviously should have moved 30 Kms up the coast to where you are Bil. Because commeth mid December we leg it back to the UK cause its far too cold and we can't do without our central heating. Come back again end of March and leg it back to UK end of June and back again in September.

We could stay in July and August with the aircon on but how stupid would that be. We know a lot who do so we leave it for the hordes from Madrid who fill the beaches and roads.

Each to his or her own, we reckon we get the best of it.

Jim
That all sounds good to me!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:13 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I remember reading that both you and Bil imagined that you were middle class, so are you describing yourself?
I'll assume that was meant humourously?

I have always had the problem that I don't fit the classical stereotype. I'm aspirational and believe in education, which is a classic hallmark of MC. However I don't envy people in that way. I might look at someone who has something nice, and I'll say, 'Damn, but I'd like one of those', and I will go out, work and save for it. I don't have the spiteful envy that so many people seem to subcscibe to. If you have more than me, what of it? I learnt long ago that keeping up with the Joneses is a futile and wasteful exercise, and that no matter what you have or do, there is always going to be someone coming along that is faster, cleverer or richer than you. I like the company of intelligent, educated or knowledgeable people, because there's always a chance I might learn something, so I don't resent it if they know more than I do.

That 'don't give a shit' attitude has in the UK made me a few enemies, but hey, ¿Que me suda la polla?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:33 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am gonna hold my hand up and confess.............I like the DM, I take it for what it is, a way of pssing an hour, sitting relaxing, the wife loves the puzzles pages..............
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:53 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Ah! The Daily Mail

I quite like the DM as well - for two reasons; a) the website layout is probably the best of all the British onlines and b) it's good for research.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I take it for what it is, a way of pssing an hour,
Think you missed out an "I" there, JLFS!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 5:03 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Think you missed out an "I" there, JLFS!

nice one, well spotted.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:51 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Just been reading about the Middle East situation in the Mail (no apologies). As usual lots of comments from ex-pats. I often see comments like on this board about the UK, never go back, it's a shitehole, last person turn off the lights etc. I have often seen comments from people in Libya too. Now they are slamming the UK for not getting them home. These are people who normally post about how fortunate they are to earn good money and no tax yadda yadda. I wouldn't begrudge anyone getting assistance flying back to the UK but they should pay highly for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.