Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ah! The Daily Mail

Ah! The Daily Mail

Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ah! The Daily Mail

They Dreamt of a Better Life... an article in the Daily Mail about the terrible life we ex-pats have to live here (they don't quite call us traitors, but it's for home consumption...):
'Now Villa Values Halved...'.
Gripping stuff as always. but, was the story prepared before the interviews were ever made? See here.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:03 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ah! The Daily Mail

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
They Dreamt of a Better Life... an article in the Daily Mail about the terrible life we ex-pats have to live here (they don't quite call us traitors, but it's for home consumption...):
Gripping stuff as always. but, was the story prepared before the interviews were ever made? See here.
Certainley looks that way , A lot of British like to hear about someone who was doing okay but then crashes and burns
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:38 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Certainley looks that way , A lot of British like to hear about someone who was doing okay but then crashes and burns
Oh is that ever the truth. The papers delight in building someone/something up to the max, and then ripping them down.

Let's face it, there is a good percentage of Brits who are small minded envious little people who like nothing better than seeing someone who had more than them made destitute.

People like that hate tall poppies, whether it's to do with brains or money.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:42 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a lot of very sad folk back in the UK have been eaten away with envy and green eye, regarding the life of expats in Spain, for quite a few years, so now they are revelling in the opportunity to stick the knife in and twist it hard.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:45 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Seems like a lot of very sad folk back in the UK have been eaten away with envy and green eye, regarding the life of expats in Spain, for quite a few years, so now they are revelling in the opportunity to stick the knife in and twist it hard.
Yep. You got that right. Me, I am having a great time here doing what I want, when I want. The weather is delightful, and I hope all on here are enjoying life in the sun.

Long may it go on, and let us all raise a collective two finger salute to the Daily Mail and all who read it and believe it.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:09 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Without getting too personal, I'm really glad to see Rob in trouble - but I'm also glad to know where he is! He and his builder colleague ripped a friend off by quoting a price for a job that was never completed - they took all the money. What they did was dangerous and had to be redone. What they failed to finish has never been completed.

Rob claims to be a tiler - all the tiles on the pool fell off!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:15 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

It should be called the Daily Schadenfreude
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Without getting too personal, I'm really glad to see Rob in trouble - but I'm also glad to know where he is! He and his builder colleague ripped a friend off by quoting a price for a job that was never completed - they took all the money. What they did was dangerous and had to be redone. What they failed to finish has never been completed.

Rob claims to be a tiler - all the tiles on the pool fell off!
Please post this on the Daily Mail site comments section
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:23 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Please post this on the Daily Mail site comments section
I agree... please go to Daily Mail and post that.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:43 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I agree... please go to Daily Mail and post that.
...done
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:12 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article.... obviously there are some glaringly obvious mistakes and dare I say, bullshit... I mean come on... who the hell has ever heard of a house worth over £100,000 on Canvey Island!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Well all the ex pats I know are really happy and would never consider returning to UKWhat are the Mail thinking of looking for doom and gloom stories . Why dont they interview my friends out there
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:51 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
Well all the ex pats I know are really happy and would never consider returning to UKWhat are the Mail thinking of looking for doom and gloom stories . Why dont they interview my friends out there
'Cos it wouldn't make a good story, would it?

There was a series on the TV a little while back where expats who might be wavering a bit were brought back to meet their families and so on, and see what they could get with their money, what they would have to do to get their kids back in the UK system, and so on.

They would then have to decide whether to stay in Aus, whatever or return to the UK:

One thing I did notice. They would throw a party with all their families, and if you looked, you could often see family members all smug and gloating over the fact that they were 'slinking back with their tails between their legs'. Some said as much.

Nasty people.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Yes I am in total agreement re your comments. We bought our little house 3 1/2 years ago (timing eh) nothing flash a very small little village house someting we had allways something we had always dreamed of, but since then many of my work colleagues have taken great delight in telling me when ever the value of the £ has gone down how property in Spain is worthless etc. Obvious they must have been jealous as hell when we bought it, you are right the british love to gloat at others downfall. I read that article pretty depressing read and yes some of it I see when I visit. Lets not forget though what's so different in the uK I am tring to sell here 1 viewing in 10months two stupid offers without even seeing the place and price dropped by a 1/3rd. Doesn't matter were you are you will be hit with the same problems so may as well just get on with it and enjoy the sun sea and atmosphere thats what I intend when I retire at the end of the year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.