Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ah! The Daily Mail

Ah! The Daily Mail

Old Feb 25th 2011, 9:37 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ah! The Daily Mail

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Eh? But you also said
Please stop sending out mixed messages.
Bored! So is everyone else!

Give it a rest... love.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

lost as what this has to do with the daily mail
Old Feb 26th 2011, 7:27 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billymacker
lost as what this has to do with the daily mail
Not a lot, but then we could not discuss the contents Daily Mail for long because nobody on this forum reads it (except the 4 people who have put their hands up already).
Old Feb 26th 2011, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, lots of people in Britain read it (well, the shorter articles obviously) and they won't come away from the experience with a high impression of Spain or an immediate plan to move here to live.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 8:40 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why people are getting bent out of shape over something the Daily Mail has written, does anyone really think that anyone would decide not to go to Spain over the opinion of some fat sweaty journalist trying to make their name over some non story? If they do, are any of you in Spain that annoyed? Do you really all care that less Man United and Liverpool fans with their crystal white bellies and lobster red heads are sat in your favorite bars bleating on about how they were the 8th member of the frigging Cray gang or that they were in the SAS in their former life, you know, before they became fat and bloated with hypertension and an 8ft waist line? If it was me, I'd be writing in to the Daily Hate on a weekly basis trying to stir up more stories just so that I could share my bar stool with people I actually want to, not people I have to!
Old Feb 26th 2011, 9:31 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the negative stories in the British media about Spain are supplied by costa ex-pats. There is good money in it
Old Feb 26th 2011, 9:55 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
Unfortunately, lots of people in Britain read it (well, the shorter articles obviously) and they won't come away from the experience with a high impression of Spain or an immediate plan to move here to live.
And the bad news is????
Old Feb 26th 2011, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

...the bad news? Well, there isn't any I dare say.
Except for the Spanish authorities (and economy) after the Golden Goose was so thoroughly crushed by inept politics and corrupt officials.
You can buy a house in Germany - one assumes - and expect not to get ripped off by the local lawyers, builders, burgermeisters, banks and politicians. In Dahomey, on the other hand, you would expect to be scammed by all and sundry.
So - is Southern Spain part of a modern European state... or a third-world basket-case?
Let the Daily Mail readers of Northern Europe decide.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 10:42 am
Straw Man.

Any economy built on something as fickle as pasty Brits enjoying the sun is doomed to failure.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 11:10 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason, when I switch on my computer in the morning, I always start with the news and not the reason I switched on in the first place. About four newspapers in, I come to the Mail. More newspapers later, I head across the Atlantic and the New York Times. That usually makes me angry enough to switch off the news and go into my web sites.

For many years in London, the London Evening Standard was my paper of choice. It is printed purely for all those hapless people trapped in crowded tube trains, as I was for far too many years. When I read it online now, I’m transported back to the Central Line and I can actually smell the London underground again.

I enjoy the sensation, from a safe distance.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 11:17 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by HBG
For some reason, when I switch on my computer in the morning, I always start with the news and not the reason I switched on in the first place. About four newspapers in, I come to the Mail. More newspapers later, I head across the Atlantic and the New York Times. That usually makes me angry enough to switch off the news and go into my web sites.

For many years in London, the London Evening Standard was my paper of choice. It is printed purely for all those hapless people trapped in crowded tube trains, as I was for far too many years. When I read it online now, I’m transported back to the Central Line and I can actually smell the London underground again.

I enjoy the sensation, from a safe distance.
Jumpers for goal posts?
Old Feb 26th 2011, 11:49 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Any economy built on something as fickle as pasty Brits enjoying the sun is doomed to failure.
Now there I have to disagree with you old son.

a) Pasty Brits enjoy the sunshine.
b) There's precious little of it in the UK.

and c) There's an awful lot of pasty white Brits.

That's been the basis of a lot of business in Spain in the past, and as soon as said pwBs get some spare cash in their pockets, they'll be back for their fix of sunshine.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Or, of course, Cyprus or somewhere else where there's also sun. The pwB's aren't here for the Goyas.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 3:07 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The Brits will probably be back this year. Millions of them have been holidaying in Tunisia and Egypt! There is still Turkey and Bulgaria though, all most of them want is sun and cheap booze
Old Feb 26th 2011, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

As I've said before, the target audience for UK based papers is for people living in UK. If highlighting the dangers of buying a property in Spain helps just one person from getting ripped off in Spain, it's doing a great job. If it upsets expats in the process, so be it. I can remember the Living in the Sun type programmes getting a slating for presenting a rose tinted view of Spain, so the press can't win, not that they are worried about what expats think. I'm still waiting for someone to dispute all the facts and figures about the DM article, rather than just rubbish it, let's hear what clearly isn't true about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.