Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Abandoned in the campo

Abandoned in the campo

Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:14 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abandoned in the campo

Originally Posted by Chica
What started out as a feel good thread about someone doing good for an abandoned animal has now turned into the opposite - making people feel bad for caring! It makes me so angry when people offering well meaning support, encouragement and praise are lectured by people who don't know them or their circumstances. There are always people ready to turn something positive into a negative in this world!!!
but it hasn't turned into something negative at all!!

hopefully it has helped to highlight the huge issue of abandoned animals in Spain

the charities need money to help the possibly millions more

the OP is to be applauded for taking in Missy - but many of us here have done the same & would do it again (I have 2 gorgeous cats who wouldn't be here otherwise) - but unfortunately it's not the 'Spanish way'
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:03 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
but it hasn't turned into something negative at all!!

hopefully it has helped to highlight the huge issue of abandoned animals in Spain

the charities need money to help the possibly millions more

the OP is to be applauded for taking in Missy - but many of us here have done the same & would do it again (I have 2 gorgeous cats who wouldn't be here otherwise) - but unfortunately it's not the 'Spanish way'
So what exactly is the "Spanish way"?

Whilst I have seen more than my fair share of cruelty and abandoned animals,
I have also come across quite a number of Spanish ppl.over the years who were running animal rescue centres, assisting with animal rescue centres or adopting animals from rescue centres.
Unfair to tar everyone with the same brush.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

I have also come across quite a number of Spanish ppl.over the years who were running animal rescue centres, assisting with animal rescue centres or adopting animals from rescue centres.
I was about to reply to that also.

An article here about Brits abandoning dogs in Spain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...uit-Spain.html

And I have just seen that in the US they put down an incredible 4 million dogs each year, compared to 8,000 per year in the UK. No data that I could find for Spain.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricketman
I was about to reply to that also.

An article here about Brits abandoning dogs in Spain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...uit-Spain.html

And I have just seen that in the US they put down an incredible 4 million dogs each year, compared to 8,000 per year in the UK. No data that I could find for Spain.
This was my point exactly, that although Missy has highlighted a huge problem within Spain by bringing it to the attention of the hospital in America which has a huge mortality rate on unwanted dogs as they tend to put them down very quickly, it may make someone there take action by going to a local shelter and helping one animal by giving it a loving home.

Unwanted animals are not unique here, but they at least have hero's wanting to help them. Until people learn that each animal should be neutered for it's own sake and for those what would otherwise follow we shall always have a problem and they will remain as a disposable commodity like a pair of shoes, in favour one week thrown out the next.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:25 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

well, yes, you're right it was a generalisation

however all the rescue centres in my area seem to be run by foreigners - with little or no interest from the local Spanish population

and of course Brits & other nationalities can be cruel to animals - but that's a generalisation too
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

well, yes, you're right it was a generalisation

however all the rescue centres in my area seem to be run by foreigners - with little or no interest from the local Spanish population

I think that can be explained by the different roles elderly people have in Spain and the UK

I know so many Spanish retired people/grandparents who work full time helping to bring up their grandchildren while both parents work full time. It's hard work being a grandparent in Spain!

English grandparents are usually more hands-off and especially in Spain where their grandkids may be in the UK. So they fill their time doing voluntary work and looking after animals.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:44 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by cricketman
I think that can be explained by the different roles elderly people have in Spain and the UK

I know so many Spanish retired people/grandparents who work full time helping to bring up their grandchildren while both parents work full time. It's hard work being a grandparent in Spain!

English grandparents are usually more hands-off and especially in Spain where their grandkids may be in the UK. So they fill their time doing voluntary work and looking after animals.
do you think so?

you could be right - but the people I know who run the rescue centres are around my age or younger

I'm not a granny!!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

do you think so?

you could be right - but the people I know who run the rescue centres are around my age or younger

I'm not a granny!!
Then they are lucky enough to not have to work to bring money into the household
Old Aug 5th 2010, 10:30 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
America which has a huge mortality rate on unwanted dogs as they tend to put them down very quickly,
Interestingly, the law has just changed in Spain and vets are no longer allowed to put down any animal unless it is for medical reasons.

They cannot now put down abandoned animals.

This will put even more pressure on the animal charities to find them homes. The cost of homing one dog can run into hundreds of Euros for vets fees, temporary accommodation etc.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:25 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Interestingly, the law has just changed in Spain and vets are no longer allowed to put down any animal unless it is for medical reasons.

They cannot now put down abandoned animals.

This will put even more pressure on the animal charities to find them homes. The cost of homing one dog can run into hundreds of Euros for vets fees, temporary accommodation etc.

That seems crazy under the present circumstances,with so many abandoned dogs roaming the countryside and nothing like enough rescue centres or ppl. to adopt them all.
They would have been much better served by changing the law to make owners much more accountable,especially with regard to hunting dogs.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ambre Solaire will become famous soon enoughAmbre Solaire will become famous soon enough

We have returned to the UK after spending 2 months near Iznajar Cordoba,
A kitten had been abandoned in the grounds which we cared for whilst trying to find a home without any success. Is anyone aware of any person or organisation that I could contact to give this beautiful white blue eyed kitten called Snowflake a home It lived outside the house due to me having allergic asthma it is so playful and good natured.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:54 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

I do a lot of cycling around the hills and stuff. Its amazing how many dogs I see wandering around in the middle of no where. Feel so bad for them.

A friend of mine also claims to have seen someone through a box of kittens out of their car window. If id have seen that, I woudlnt care about damage or risk to my own life. I would have rammed into their car!!!

It is bad, theres so many abdandoned cats and dogs in Spain. But theres only so much you can do