Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Abandoned in the campo

Abandoned in the campo

Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:50 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abandoned in the campo

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
I had cycled to the top of siera bermeja in Estepona
On a pushbike?? Are you entirely sane??

Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:54 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
On a pushbike?? Are you entirely sane??

He is in training to ride from Gib to the north of UK for charity, all donations gratefully received.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Chica is an unknown quantity at this point

How's Missy doing - any more photos?
When we bought our Finca it came with a small puppy that we were asked if we wanted to keep - if not she would have been 'got rid of' - so, obviously we kept her. We have someone who looks after her when we're not there. She is an escape artist and we turned up from England one evening and she came to greet us with a tiny puppy in tow! She is now 4yrs old and puppy is 1 yr old and they just give us so much pleasure and have a great life on our land. They're amazing!!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:32 am
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chica
How's Missy doing - any more photos?
When we bought our Finca it came with a small puppy that we were asked if we wanted to keep - if not she would have been 'got rid of' - so, obviously we kept her. We have someone who looks after her when we're not there. She is an escape artist and we turned up from England one evening and she came to greet us with a tiny puppy in tow! She is now 4yrs old and puppy is 1 yr old and they just give us so much pleasure and have a great life on our land. They're amazing!!
She's doing fine thanks. Found a vet about 18 km away and I was planning to go this morning for her to get all her shots, and for my older dog Lola to get her boosters. I do have severe osteo-arthritis though and I am not feeling so grand - it will be problem enough walking with Lola without driving as well and so I am putting it off until tomorrow. My camera is playing up and hasn't worked for a couple of days now - I will give it another try later today. Lola 'manages' to spend about 5 minutes with Missy each day but, like me, gets a bit fed up with all the bites!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Jengreg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by St. John
She's doing fine thanks. Found a vet about 18 km away and I was planning to go this morning for her to get all her shots, and for my older dog Lola to get her boosters. I do have severe osteo-arthritis though and I am not feeling so grand - it will be problem enough walking with Lola without driving as well and so I am putting it off until tomorrow. My camera is playing up and hasn't worked for a couple of days now - I will give it another try later today. Lola 'manages' to spend about 5 minutes with Missy each day but, like me, gets a bit fed up with all the bites!
Thankyou for the update. Everyone keeps asking me about her here in the hospital and about your kindness. I am sorry to hear you are not feeling so great and wish you a better day tomorrow. I hope Missy stops the biting soon. Feel bad for lovely Lola who is having to put up with it and you too.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:18 am
Account Closed

To all of those people that viewed this thread and those that commented I would just like to say a big 'thank-you'.

Missy is doing just fine, yesterday I managed to get both dogs to the vet, though not without some mishaps. Missy was violently sick in the car - twice. She produced more than her bodyweight in nasties. The vet was very pleased with her and gave her the first of her puppy shots - the second lot to follow on September 3rd. He told me that she was about twelve and a half weeks old - older than I had thought. Lola and Missy play daily now - however when Missy gets a bit too playsome Lola lays down the law. Quite right too. He did tell me that choosing the name 'Missy' was perhaps a bit of a mistake as this name is given to cats! I ain't changing it now. Camera still not working and my attempts to buy a new digital camera almost came to blows. The Sony Cybershot I got 6 years ago bears no resemblance to the cameras on offer now and quite frankly I got lost after the first two sentences filled with techno-speak Spanish style. Is there a thread anywhere on digital cameras?

Once again, thanks to everyone for your comments and support.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:53 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

To all of those people that viewed this thread and those that commented I would just like to say a big 'thank-you'.

Missy is doing just fine, yesterday I managed to get both dogs to the vet, though not without some mishaps. Missy was violently sick in the car - twice. She produced more than her bodyweight in nasties. The vet was very pleased with her and gave her the first of her puppy shots - the second lot to follow on September 3rd. He told me that she was about twelve and a half weeks old - older than I had thought. Lola and Missy play daily now - however when Missy gets a bit too playsome Lola lays down the law. Quite right too. He did tell me that choosing the name 'Missy' was perhaps a bit of a mistake as this name is given to cats! I ain't changing it now. Camera still not working and my attempts to buy a new digital camera almost came to blows. The Sony Cybershot I got 6 years ago bears no resemblance to the cameras on offer now and quite frankly I got lost after the first two sentences filled with techno-speak Spanish style. Is there a thread anywhere on digital cameras?

Well done to you all - big hugs xxxxx
Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

So pleased to get the update on Missy. Everyone is asking me about her and you!! Your kind act to this little puppy remind me that there are still decent honourable people around. It upsets me so much to think what would have happened if you had not found her and made the decision to bring her home. Lola sounds a lovely big sister to her. Please give us updates when you can and know that you are a Hero for what you did. Hugs from Boston, USA to you all.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:07 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't get so concerned about a very lucky dog who was rescued. There are many decent caring people but there are not enough to go round.

Worry about the thousands of other dogs and cats that are abandoned every day in Spain and who are not so lucky.

I went down to our local rubbish bin the other day and found 4 new born kittens screaming in a plastic bag. After much TLC and some milk from a feeding bottle it was clear that they were too young and in too bad a state to survive. The vet put them down the next day.

This happens all the time. If you are concerned about animal welfare in Spain, stop worrying about one lucky little dog that has survived and send a cheque to an animal welfare society in Spain who can help other poor animals that have not been so lucky.

Look at my previous link for an example http://www.casnews.info/

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 4th 2010 at 5:09 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

I actually wondered how long it would be before someone got tired of this thread. In view of Mr James' comments, and I agree with his sentiments to a certain degree, I'll draw a curtain over the whole episode and just leave everyone with the knowledge that this 'very lucky dog' will have a good life and will not want for love, affection and the care that so many animals in Spain will never know.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I actually wondered how long it would be before someone got tired of this thread. In view of Mr James' comments, and I agree with his sentiments to a certain degree, I'll draw a curtain over the whole episode and just leave everyone with the knowledge that this 'very lucky dog' will have a good life and will not want for love, affection and the care that so many animals in Spain will never know.
Tough truth though.
I bought a load of rubbish that I didn`t really need off some old girl at the car boot this morning, the reason being she looks after abandoned dogs.
How many has she got at the moment ?
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Surely it is up to the people whom view this thread to let it pass, if the Americans are interested in your dog it may just get them interested in all the abandoned and poorly treated animals in Spain not just cats and dogs but donkeys, horses and birds and they may then look into the various animal charities here on the C.D.S. I just think it is really intersting that these people took such an interest in one little dog, if that helps other dogs in what ever country then this thread deserves to run,(in my opinion).

Shelters in the USA tend to put their animals down after about 14 days if no home is found so if only one of the hospital staff takes the time to visit their local shelter then job done as their dogs do not have at least the chance of life where ever it is.

Try listing the charities in stead of telling them about older threads having looked for certain information through older threads it is not always that easy if you do not have a reference name.

http://www.animals-in-distress.eu/
http://www.sos-animals.org/
http://dogs.suite101.com/article.cfm...imals-in-spain
http://www.horserescuespain.org

That is just a few for people to browse through where ever they may live, add to the list lets see where it leads they all deserve a mention once in a while.

Sorry if this may break protocol but I think it is important that they have the chance to be seen and heard
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jay01
Surely it is up to the people whom view this thread to let it pass, if the Americans are interested in your dog it may just get them interested in all the abandoned and poorly treated animals in Spain not just cats and dogs but donkeys, horses and birds and they may then look into the various animal charities here on the C.D.S. I just think it is really intersting that these people took such an interest in one little dog, if that helps other dogs in what ever country then this thread deserves to run,(in my opinion).

Shelters in the USA tend to put their animals down after about 14 days if no home is found so if only one of the hospital staff takes the time to visit their local shelter then job done as their dogs do not have at least the chance of life where ever it is.

Try listing the charities in stead of telling them about older threads having looked for certain information through older threads it is not always that easy if you do not have a reference name.

http://www.animals-in-distress.eu/
http://www.sos-animals.org/
http://dogs.suite101.com/article.cfm...imals-in-spain
http://www.horserescuespain.org

That is just a few for people to browse through where ever they may live, add to the list lets see where it leads they all deserve a mention once in a while.

Sorry if this may break protocol but I think it is important that they have the chance to be seen and heard
I was not going to answer to the person who thought that being thrilled for this little puppy was taking away from the other awful stuff going on with abandoned animals. I felt quite guilty for thinking it was a good turn to have helped this puppy out. I understand there are hundreds and thousands of poor neglected animals, but surely it is not wrong to be glad for one less suffering animal. Just to clarify - I am British living and working in Boston and I give both to the ASPCA here in the US and Blue Cross Animal Hosp back in London which saved my own dogs life.

Someone posted a couple of pics up of a puppy they had found. We responded. I work in a huge hosp. People were genuinely interested. Our Dept (Pediatric Neurosurgery) sometimes doesnt see a lot of good days. This story touched us all.The person who found and took the puppy home is still a good guy and the puppy is still lucky.!

Last edited by Jengreg; Aug 4th 2010 at 7:12 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jengreg
Someone posted a couple of pics up of a puppy they had found. We responded. I work in a huge hosp. People were genuinely interested. Our Dept (Pediatric Neurosurgery) sometimes doesnt see a lot of good days. This story touched us all.The person who found and took the puppy home is still a good guy and the puppy is still lucky.!
I'm sure you were all touched by the nice pictures and the story but the animals here need concrete help in the form of money - not just good wishes.

Send a collection box around your friends and colleagues and do something positive to help!

There are plenty of charities that need help and some links have been posted.

Warm thoughts don't save dying animals - I wish they did!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Chica is an unknown quantity at this point

What started out as a feel good thread about someone doing good for an abandoned animal has now turned into the opposite - making people feel bad for caring! It makes me so angry when people offering well meaning support, encouragement and praise are lectured by people who don't know them or their circumstances. There are always people ready to turn something positive into a negative in this world!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.