Hout Bay killing

Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hout Bay killing

Originally Posted by ededed
but where would I go that would give me this quality of life? (it's not a rhetorical question - answers please)...
What changes is the relative weighting of the factors you take into consideration when weighing up what constitutes quality of life.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:32 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
What changes is the relative weighting of the factors you take into consideration when weighing up what constitutes quality of life.
Sun, schooling, shopping, watching English football (sorry), safety and security, house with garden for the kids and family friendly.....in no particular order.

The beauty now is that Mrs E doesn't need to work, which is brilliant for the kids.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Sun, schooling, shopping...etc
Yes, yes. It was ever thus. And like I say, what changes is the relative weighting one gives to these things.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:52 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, yes. It was ever thus. And like I say, what changes is the relative weighting one gives to these things.
1. Sun 25%
2. Schooling 25%
3. Safety / security 25%
4. Not living in a shoebox 15%
5. Ideal for families 10%

So - on this basis, where would anyone suggest the Es move to.....given carte blanche?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

1. Sun 25%
2. Schooling 25%
3. Safety / security 25%

So - on this basis, where would anyone suggest the Es move to.....given carte blanche?
Ed, I think you're misunderstanding what I am saying.

What I am saying is circumstances and experience change the relative weighting one gives to the various things that a person factors in when making an assessment of what constitutes quality of life.

I think that is what Daxk was also saying.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:07 pm

Pablo, I understand that but I was asking others for their opinions.

Everyone seems so eager for me to come to my senses and leave, and I am probably 20% in agreement - but simply wouldn't know where else to go which meets my needs as I haven't experienced every corner of the globe.

Of course I have a few ideas, but was interested to hear what people thought. Where did they go after leaving SA? What was the differences when they got there, good and bad.

Surely this kind of community advice is what BE is for?

Or is there nowhere better than SA?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo, I understand that but I was asking others for their opinions.

Everyone seems so eager for me to come to my senses and leave, and I am probably 20% in agreement - but simply wouldn't know where else to go which meets my needs as I haven't experienced every corner of the globe.

Of course I have a few ideas, but was interested to hear what people thought. Where did they go after leaving SA? What was the differences when they got there, good and bad.

Surely this kind of community advice is what BE is for?

Or is there nowhere better than SA?
OK Ed, I'll leave others to comment. My own view is that the usual mistake that emigrants to any country make is a) to expect everything they had at "home", and b) to romanticize the past and forget the negatives, and c) to fail to inform themselves sufficiently beforehand. Just look at the Brits who go to Australia and the endless bleating.

I'd add, as a general comment, that I tend to agree with you that it's better to die on your feet than live on your knees. But this is not the majority view.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:34 pm

OK Ed, I'll leave others to comment. My own view is that the usual mistake that emigrants to any country make is a) to expect everything they had at "home", and b) to romanticize the past and forget the negatives, and c) to fail to inform themselves sufficiently beforehand. Just look at the Brits who go to Australia and the endless bleating.

I'd add, as a general comment, that I tend to agree with you that it's better to die on your feet than live on your knees. But this is not the majority view.
Thanks Pabs, fair comment. I don't expect everything that we had at home - just curious to know where the "best life" could be given our own personal requirements. I'm trying to get information (as per your point C).

And Australia? I'd rather eat one of my own kidneys.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:08 pm
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

Thanks Pabs, fair comment. I don't expect everything that we had at home - just curious to know where the "best life" could be given our own personal requirements. I'm trying to get information (as per your point C).

And Australia? I'd rather eat one of my own kidneys.
If ever you do decide to munch on one of your kidneys let me know. I have recipe for a steak and kidney pie thats to die for. Pun only slightly intended.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Ed, my short answer as to why I went where I did.
1) I could, immediately, with no waiting for Citizenship.

2)I did not HAVE to live in town or in a shoebox

3) I would have preferred more sunshine but the other places that had Sunshine either wished my Family harm (SA) wanted me to wait 5 years for citizenship when I was already 54.(Oz,Canada,USA) or I could not (yet) speak their language.(Portugal,Spain, Cyprus or Northern Italy)

4)I saw marketing opportunities that were not being exploited and could (did) establish new enterprises.

The only real difference between what I did in SA and here is that I dress differently, do not carry a 9mil, and only have a maid once a week and a gardener once a month instead of every day.
The House I live in,on a corner of a farm, 300metres away from a bustop
and 30 minutes away from either an international airport or a city similar to Port Elizabeth, is very similar in size and amenities (SA only has 3 bathrooms) this one has 5.
The difference in my family is immense.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:25 pm

Thanks Daxk, useful. Doesn't the rain get you down? I hear the golf there is unbelieveable....
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:33 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

1. Sun 25%
2. Schooling 25%
3. Safety / security 25%

Have that here in the western part of the States. I live close to the mountains and I have a view of the entire city from my back garden. Four seasons here but lots of sunshine ( I admit this Welsh lass cannot handle constant gloomy weather) and the only fencing around my back garden is a 6 ft. wooden fence that anyone with the slightest motivation could climb over, that is - if they couldn't be bothered to open the gate. On warm days, I am inclined to leave both my back and front door open to allow nature's breeze to flow through. Not a burglar bar to be seen in my home or anyone else's up and down the street. In fact there is no fencing at all in the front of the homes. Anyone can walk right up to your front door. Typical sight in the morning is joggers/walkers with sports strollers (for the wee ones) and doggy on a leash. This is not a gated community either.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

1. Sun 25%
2. Schooling 25%
3. Safety / security 25%

Hey Ed, have u actually ever been to Aus or NZ? Reason I ask is because both countries will provided a much better lifestyle on all of those points you provided.

AUs/NZ, maybe have to settle to a house 90% of size to your house in SA. So bloody what! Everthing else ranks very highly. And believe it or not, there are places in NZ that offer much better weather than some part of SA. The weather in Cape Town is crap.

NZ offers even a better lifestyle for kids than Aus, but both countries offer free excellent public schooling and healthcare and safety.

The UK? No chance.
Australia? Full of Australians and whenwes
NZ? Nope, not quite ready for retirement
The USA? Nope, don't want my kids with "that" accent
Europe? Can't speakie ze lingo
Middle East?
Falkland Islands?
And mate if I recall a while ago, you have serious issues with the "dutchmen" in SA. I am starting to think that your views of the rest of the world are just personal, maybe you the kind of chap that just sees problems with eveyone? Whats wrong with the Aussies? Take the time and get to know them, you may be surprised.

Aus/NZ are probably the easiest place to migrate into from SA. And the main factor is probably because of the huge amount of Saffas here. Its easy if you wish to form your own circle of friends with only saffas. (and praat kak around the braai) Don't mingle and become part of your new country. Sadly many saffas do this, they have no kiwi or aussie friends. A bit like the Chinese who form their own china towns.

One of the most important steps about emigrating successfully is to adopt your new countries culture and lifestyle. Failing that, you may as well stay in SA as one will never really be happy with leaving. And at least embrace your SA culture then too (Zuma, Malema, and co)
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Daxk, useful. Doesn't the rain get you down? I hear the golf there is unbelieveable....
Yes, the golf balls float.
The Rain and short winter days got to me in the first year because I was still in SA mode that rain cancels everything.
if we are hiking or cycling or fishing, a drymac cape weighs ounces,folds into a pack 150mm square and takes seconds to snap on or fold up.
its a soft rain not the humongous rain bullets of the Highveld.
The rest of the time, you open the umbrella, it never rains for long.
Its the price I pay for being able to go for walks in the forest and my 11 year old daughter is now sleeping without the dagger under her pillow.
Thats taken 5 years.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by kiwibok
. And mate if I recall a while ago, you have serious issues with the "dutchmen" in SA.
And nothing's changed.

Aussies and Kiwis I can handle, they have results and achievements to back up their arrogance.

I've been to both Oz and NZ - was massively unimpressed with both. Big cities joined by long roads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.