Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RNZAF / RAF transfers.

RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Wayne270 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Wondering if there are any ex RAF on this community that transfered to the RNZAF, either on their own or as part of the recruitment package?
Trying to get thoughts together on whether it would be a good move or otherwise. Like the thought of NZ and lifestyle but keep hearing bad things about wages, crime and attitude towards immigrants.
I have the choice of Canada as a civy, no guaranteed job but good prospects for one or RNZAF.
I am not worried about thoughts being good or bad, just want to hear thoughts from people who have already made the jump.
It is fast approaching decision time ( :scared: )and I need as much info/help as I can find.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 1:50 am
Just Joined

vhpacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

I take it your in the Brit AF?

I am a kiwi, I tried to get into the RNZAF as a pilot last year and they turned there noses down at me....even though I have a helicopter CPL and I have 600 hours flying time under my belt, which is all of deer recovery. I'm sure you've heard about that, its very skillful and dangerous work. Only because I didnt do physics at school 4 or 5 years ago!!!

Entry into the RNZAF is very competitive, and it would be like joining neighbourhood watch compared to your RAF.

I would stay in England mate (yes I have been,worked in a bar in Cardiff for 4 months, and went all over the UK) you Brits really dont know how good you have it over there.

NZ is gradually falling down the shitter I'm sorry to say.....
Old Apr 16th 2006, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that vhpacer.
Currently I am ex military (been out a year), fully EASA licenced engineer with 2 1/2 type ratings. Been offered a possible position with RNZAF presumably as an engineer but also tentative job offer in Canada.
I appreciate that the RNZAF is smaller than the RAF but that isn't always a bad thing.
Shame they turned you down - yes I do appreciate the type of flying you're doing. Their loss.
Unfortunately it's not a case of staying here as I'm growing to hate this country (after 23 years defending it!) but more a case of where do I go from here.
Thanks for your reply.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:38 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

Wayne270, we've just got back from the warbirds over Wanaka airshow & picked up a couple of Air Force News magazines. In the Feb 06 issue there's an article called "First Impressions" about 3 UK families who have transferred to RNZAF. Two are SQNLDR's & the other is a SGT. All seem to think it was a great move.

Don't know if you can pull up the article on the website but it may be worth a read if you can.

www.airforce.mil.nz & the magazine is called Air Force News
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:44 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

Have just tried it & yes you can pull it up. Just type in Air Force News in the search bit. Feb O6 issue pages 10 & 11
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Cyndi. Have seen it before but had forgotten about those articles so thanks for the reminder. But being cynical old me I can't help but wonder if this is the "party line". Hope not but you never can tell where the military (any of them) are concerned.
Thanks again.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

vhpacer is an unknown quantity at this point

If you did come over you would almost be working with the long awaited new choppers. The new NH-90's, apparently should be entering service in 2009-10. At the moment we've got 40 year old Iroquois's.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

jonesey will become famous soon enoughjonesey will become famous soon enough

RNZAF/RAF transfers

Also waiting for the final stages of UK Recruitment Project 2006, i have had the lucky chance of already being out in NZ in 2004 and returned for family reasons. Applied for recruitment back in 2005 and thought hadn't a cat in hell's chance of getting this far. I know a good friend in Auckland who is an Avionics Tech ex RAF and is doing fine and adjusting to life sytle changes is the biggest difference. So my understanding of UK to NZ life is the land size to population size UK 60m and ever growing, to 1/5 larger land mass in NZ to a 4m plus population growth. The biggest factor for me is that hopefully i can make this a career and end with retirement rather than have been A "Maggie Thatcher's Legacy" In redundancy way back in 1995.....Hopefully also give my kids a better chance of a career in a faraway land that is not over populated with migrants like UK's ever popular European dumping ground. That's my uptake of why i applied and have already been there and wore the tee-shirt as they say back here in UK.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Jonesey. Just got my letter saying I passed the interview and waiting for the OOS. Hope you've got a similar one. I take it that you enjoyed your previous time there as you are bidding to go back.
Still umming & Ahhing, big decision time and know I'll only get the one shot.
Where did I leave that £1 coin?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

jonesey will become famous soon enoughjonesey will become famous soon enough

Yeah got my letter advising me that i was selected to continue to the next recruitment stage which will be selection of applicants against vacancies. They also stated they would be selecting for OOS enlisted by Mar 2008, but ealier groups offered dates before 2008. I was hoping for the pack that they promised would be the next thing to drop in the post but no doubt they have had no end of people asking all kinds of questions so the letter came in the post to allay peoples fears of a yes or a no. Congrats to know you too have been offered OOS, no doubt you too have lots to think about how quick this will all happen but its a great country to be living in after spending 2 years back in UK you do miss the place. My kids are excited also to be able to have that opportunity to return to a place they grew to love but for only a short space of time in their lives. You will have to keep in touch with a PM.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

robbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by Wayne270
Wondering if there are any ex RAF on this community that transfered to the RNZAF, either on their own or as part of the recruitment package?
Trying to get thoughts together on whether it would be a good move or otherwise. Like the thought of NZ and lifestyle but keep hearing bad things about wages, crime and attitude towards immigrants.
I have the choice of Canada as a civy, no guaranteed job but good prospects for one or RNZAF.
I am not worried about thoughts being good or bad, just want to hear thoughts from people who have already made the jump.
It is fast approaching decision time ( :scared: )and I need as much info/help as I can find.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Wayne, my names Bob, I have just been accepted for the next stage of the recruiting drive for the RNZAF and was initially chuffed to bits. I can not answer your question but feel the same as you. I have a good life at the moment, I have just left the RAF 2 weeks ago and got a good job in Dundee.

The money is better than the RNZAF and I have a nice house,but the appeal of relatively warm weather is tempting me to NZ. My wife is having doubts, like you have, about certain aspects of NZ after seeing comments on this and other websites.

I am sorry that this does not answer your question, but perhaps we can share this info together!

Bob
Old Apr 29th 2006, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

robbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by vhpacer
I take it your in the Brit AF?

I am a kiwi, I tried to get into the RNZAF as a pilot last year and they turned there noses down at me....even though I have a helicopter CPL and I have 600 hours flying time under my belt, which is all of deer recovery. I'm sure you've heard about that, its very skillful and dangerous work. Only because I didnt do physics at school 4 or 5 years ago!!!

Entry into the RNZAF is very competitive, and it would be like joining neighbourhood watch compared to your RAF.

I would stay in England mate (yes I have been,worked in a bar in Cardiff for 4 months, and went all over the UK) you Brits really dont know how good you have it over there.

Can you be more specific, I have been accepted for the RNZAF and want to know your thoughts about NZ............Cardiff is in Wales by the way!

Bob
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Hey Bob,
glad to hear you have got your letter too.
I suppose we all have different reasons for leaving and that reflects on our view of the faults or otherwise of NZ. We all know nowhere is perfect (except the bar! ) but must weigh the pros & cons.
I too have a not bad job and a nice house but there is a lot I don't like about the UK now. Still - my problems.

Have found some interesting info about taking mil pensions and OAP pension if anyone wants it.

Jonesey,
Would be great to PM but I dont have a clue how it works!! and the recruiting team asked if I was computer literate .

Glad to see we are building a little bit of a community here. Have to carry on once we reach NZ
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Bob,
glad to hear you have got your letter too.
I suppose we all have different reasons for leaving and that reflects on our view of the faults or otherwise of NZ. We all know nowhere is perfect (except the bar! ) but must weigh the pros & cons.
I too have a not bad job and a nice house but there is a lot I don't like about the UK now. Still - my problems.

Have found some interesting info about taking mil pensions and OAP pension if anyone wants it.

Jonesey,
Would be great to PM but I dont have a clue how it works!! and the recruiting team asked if I was computer literate .

Glad to see we are building a little bit of a community here. Have to carry on once we reach NZ
Hi again Wayne,

I would like to her about the info on mil pensions and OAP pensions.

Had a bad day today, pranged the motor and still felt a bit useless at work.........The 'chocolate fireguard' syndrome is wot I got! So, a fresh start in NZ seems to be the ticket for me at the moment.

Bob
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Jonesey,
Hi there
to send a pm: if you place your cursor over the name of the person you want to pm, ie next to a post they have made, then click - an action list will come up and one is "send a private message" - click on this and it will bring up the text box for you to complete.
happy pm'ing - Karma always kindly accepted!!! (click on karma box under my name )
Vicki

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.