Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RNZAF / RAF transfers.

RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice
Default Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Originally Posted by annbee
Hi Debborah, Hope you are ok and enjoying the school holidays, the girls have gone to my sisters for a night so the house is sooo peaceful. My friend has just text me to say that they have had an earthquake in Auckland today, she said that it was a small one. I have just looked on the forum and they are saying that it has been the worst for 10 years. I suppose it beats the gales over here and trees being blown down in the garden!!!!.
Regards
Annx
Wow, earthquakes! i knew they had them in the South Island. i watched a programme a while back on it and it showed buildings in Wellington built on concrete stilts.Napier was totally rebuilt in the 30's because of a huge one, making it mainly Art Deco, so cant wait to go there as i love Art Deco. Do you know also about the great big hole in the ozone layer there?! my friend in Palmerston North is training to be a nurse and she said to bring plenty of high factor sun lotion with us as the highest you can get there is 30. Which isnt too bad but my youngest is fair and burns with 40 on!
Our half term was short and sweet, 3 days here as they get 9 weeks at the summer break. I dont mind the school holidays as it saves having to rush around in the morning, and i dont have a production line of packed lunches to make!!!
Are you planning on working when you get to NZ? , Debborah.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

annbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Hi Debborah, we only have this week for half term, i have just returned from getting the girls, peace is shattered! Yes i am starting to get stocked up on things to take like suncream, tetley t bags and anything else i can think off. My hubby would like me to work but i figure it will take at least 6 months to get settled and the girls sorted. Lucy will be going to Hobsonville, shes 8 in April, Polly will have to go to Kindergarten as she is 4 in April and they dont take them to school until they are 5. Also i would like to get to know the area ie best beach, coffee shop, shops etc! I may look after that no rush though. I cant believe that you are all sorted, I am just about to ring and book our medicals, we have a problem with passports, Dean is going away for 4 weeks to the carribean on 10th April and we need to send them off to NZ house, so not sure when we will send all the paperwork off. Can you remember how long it took from sending all you paperwork to receiving your passports back?
Regards
Ann xx
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Hey Ann, it took about 2-3 weeks to hear that we were approved once we had posted the ITA off to NZ house. We rang to see as we needed our passports aswell ,for getting back over Christmas. The immigration officer said it would take that long aslong as everything was completed properly and there wasnt any holdups .
The Carribean!! is that work? dont they just have a hard life[not]haha.

I'm the same as you i want to get my head around everything first before i get to working, Alina my eldest is 10 [11 when we get there] Lucas is 6 and the twins [Molly & Danny] are 4. So M&D will also be in the preschool roll/kindergarten. Same class maybe as Polly?
I have e-mailed Whenuapia school and from what they say it seems that way, but still not sure. When you say Lucy will be going to Hobsonville, have you enrolled her already? i am waiting till we have an address first before i can do anything. I have looked at there website aswell.Both seem good, and high ratings.Decile 10's i think.
Talking of getting stocked up, i asked my friend in Palmy [she calls it] what she missed and she said pickled onions from the chip shop and jaffas cakes!! i thought it was funny!

Can i ask you why you are using a Panel Doctor in Oxford?, ours was a nightmare here.

right i have a carrot cake in the oven, best go and see how its doing!!! Domestic Goddess!! {NOT} Debborah.

Last edited by Divine Comedy; Feb 21st 2007 at 3:36 pm. Reason: none
Old Feb 21st 2007, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

annbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: RNZAF / RAF transfers.

Hey Debborah, thanks for info for sending paperwork to NZ, Carribean is work (yes I know what a job). Dean always manages to be away for school holidays and even this year he is managing to be away for the girls birthdays Lucy 22nd and Polly 26th April. He is going away on the 8th April till the 3rd May which is not bad for a detachment. I may think of joining the raf not a bad job eh!!. Using a panel doctor in oxford as he has been recommended by friends who are out there, they said he was great and they had everything sorted out in one day. The nearest to us was hull, but they only did the xrays, we would have to then go to york for the rest, figured it would be easier to go to one and get it all done. It is good to see that you can multi-task by typing a message and also thinking that you have a cake in the oven, more than any man can do!!!!! Having a day at a farm tomorrow trying to keep the girls amused. That is one of the reasons we are moving to NZ more outdoor life, beaches, walks, camping etc etc
Annxx
Old Feb 21st 2007, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Ooops, missed a question, Lucy will be going to Hobsonville primary as my friends 2 children go and so i am going on her recommendation. I havent registered her yet, thought i would wait till we got our passports stamped. I understand that there are 2 kindergartens in the area, think that they are both mornings not full time, will investigate more i think when i get over there, Lucy is my main concern, she is quite shy so i want her to get into school asap. Polly will be quite happy at home!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Ann, My carrot cake turned out lovely! I have decided to brush up on my domestic skills as i believe there are very limited 'ready made dinners ' etc. I think everything is cooked from scratch ?? I think it will be good on the expense side as well, having 4 hungry mouths to feed comes to quite a bill at Tescos!! Its also better for Andys expanding waistline!! He has been swimming and going to the gym for his upcoming military medical.
Is Dean having his military medical at the same time as your ITA one?
One day to get the lot done!!! FAB, i would have traveled to Oxford for that!!!

Outdoor life ,YES PLEASE!!!, i cant wait either. My kids love nothing better than a day at the beach, bike rides and walks. Do you know if they have playparks ? Andy said he didnt see any when he went over. What facilities do they have at Hobsonville?

Debborah.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Debborah well have just got back from the farm, what a very wet day, but the kids had a great time. I think that i will have to catch up on the old cooking thing, as i know that money will be fairly tight when we get over there. I wont be earning and Deans wage will be half what he gets here. We are not aware that Dean has to have a Military Medical, how would we find out, has Andy finished his 22 years. Dean is leaving at 12 years which is fine by me. I know that there are playparks in Hobsonville, having a friend out there is great any questions, queries or concerns i can just speak to her on skype and she is great, better than any website. Have you set up skype, we are in the process of getting family and friends sorted out with it. I am just about to go for a run, need to keep fit ready for my medical, it is a great boost to loose weight and get fit this looming medical!!!

Annxx
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Badass Barrass will become famous soon enough

Hi Deborrah,

Ohakea is about 20 miles from Palmerston North, or Palmy as your friend called it. The ozone info was interesting although my family are pretty much used to the sun as we are finishing our tour in Cyprus in Jul then back to UK on gardening leave prior to joining up in Nov. NZ will be pretty different from Aldergrove I must agree though NI is a beautiful country but I don't miss all that rain. Saw Annbee 's thread about her hubbys' det, one bit of advice is make sure that your other "halfs" check all their entitlement to leave before coming out ie, resettlement, termination, annual etc. I was quite shocked how much time we are actually entitled to. It is worth looking into and plan their last working days in the RAF. Ref Ohakea and Auckland closing I did hear something on the subject but I think that is some time away. All the best.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Wayne - The main problem as I see it is that the RNZAF have a very limited airforce of antiquated planes. They still fly single engined UH1's and have a couple of 1960's vintage C130's. All are secondhand, having come from the USAF.

I don't know what trade you are currently in, but I would think very long and hard before even applying.

Burt
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by annbee
Hi Debborah well have just got back from the farm, what a very wet day, but the kids had a great time. I think that i will have to catch up on the old cooking thing, as i know that money will be fairly tight when we get over there. I wont be earning and Deans wage will be half what he gets here. We are not aware that Dean has to have a Military Medical, how would we find out, has Andy finished his 22 years. Dean is leaving at 12 years which is fine by me. I know that there are playparks in Hobsonville, having a friend out there is great any questions, queries or concerns i can just speak to her on skype and she is great, better than any website. Have you set up skype, we are in the process of getting family and friends sorted out with it. I am just about to go for a run, need to keep fit ready for my medical, it is a great boost to loose weight and get fit this looming medical!!!

Annxx

Hey Ann, The military medical ,NZDF, can be done at the same time as your NZIS medical. {if your panel doctor does it there?} when you ring to make the appointment ask them if they do. The recruitment team will be able to advise you better as everyones situations are different. They told us we could have them at the same time, but our panel doctor dosnt have the facilities to do it all. The recruitment team want you to tell them the name and fax number of the Doctor so they can tell the Doctor what they require.We are just waiting on an e-mail back from them as what to do for Andys. Badass Barrass told me that it can be done at the Medical centre . Which if we can would be great. The info is on your enlistment CD-ROM.
Andy has only done 9 years.
Andy has looked at the Skybe thing, havnt done anything about it yet, but it sounds great.
Debborah.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Badass Barrass
Hi Deborrah,

Ohakea is about 20 miles from Palmerston North, or Palmy as your friend called it. The ozone info was interesting although my family are pretty much used to the sun as we are finishing our tour in Cyprus in Jul then back to UK on gardening leave prior to joining up in Nov. NZ will be pretty different from Aldergrove I must agree though NI is a beautiful country but I don't miss all that rain. Saw Annbee 's thread about her hubbys' det, one bit of advice is make sure that your other "halfs" check all their entitlement to leave before coming out ie, resettlement, termination, annual etc. I was quite shocked how much time we are actually entitled to. It is worth looking into and plan their last working days in the RAF. Ref Ohakea and Auckland closing I did hear something on the subject but I think that is some time away. All the best.
Hi, OH YES, my hubby has checked when he will be done!!! thanks . It is along time, but very handy as the move to NZ is so huge the time off will be great. He hasnt made his mind up on what to do as a resettlement course yet.
WOW, Cyprus where are you? there were 5 families who went out last year from Wittering. What a change NZ it will be for you. Yes, i love NI, i will be sad to leave. Giants Causeway amazing!
If i can ask any questions for you about Palmerston North, let me know. She didnt have much help on the pension thing as yours is a totally different situation. Still waiting on the other.
Debborah.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Debborah, hope you are having a good week, we are back to school and work etc. I cant believe that it is March this week, only 7 months to go, soooooooo excited. I could do with some advise on paperwork i was filing out last night, it was the relocation questionnaire, the questions refer to travel/freight insurance not sure about these, could you give me any guidance, i am going to post this to them at the end of the week. Dean finishes on the 22nd june but with all his leave and resettlement he is still in the airforce until 6th october. I am sure that i can keep him busy, painting the quarter back, packing and sorting out things, the list is endless.

Annxx
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Ann, Andy has done all that stuff, he says he has got our own travel insurance but is having their freight insurance. Hope that has answered your query, i havnt looked at that myself. Have you sorted out the military medical yet?
Have you been on the thread here called 'the great NZ picures' i was just amazed by it. I showed my daughter and she cant wait to see the Dolphins. If i have any doubts i just go on there and remind myself why we are doing it! Although i could post some of NI as it has some beautiful places aswell.

Yes, i have a long list aswell for Andy! he will finish about Easter.

I dont know what to do with all the stuff we dont send across? i dont really know anyone to give it to, i think i will get in touch with a charity of some sort , see if they want it. Are you taking everything? or buying new in NZ?
Debborah.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:42 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know what to do with all the stuff we dont send across? i dont really know anyone to give it to, i think i will get in touch with a charity of some sort , see if they want it.

Excuse me butting in - have you tried 'freecycle' for getting rid of unwanted stuff? Google it and it will come up. You post your unwanted stuff on there and someone will email you back and make arrangements to come and pick it up. Fair enough, you don't get anything for it, but it saves you having to take it anywhere yourself. People will take just about anything, even stuff you may have thought to throw out.
Karen B
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, i have had a look. Absolutley great site, i like to be as 'green ' as possible where i can. The only problem is we live on an enclosed RAF base and people have to have ID to gain entrance, so i'm thinking if a charity can come with a BIG van and take it all in one go it is easier for us and hopefully it will help someone out who needs some {alot!}of household stuff.
Thanks for butting in!! we need someone on this thread who is actually living in NZ, we are just 'nearly there!' . How is Hamiliton? Had a look at your blog, sounds like you love it, i liked the bit where you said you had had a 'moment in the garden 'and you realised how wonderful it was to live in NZ. It brought a lump to my throat! We are going to Auckland, no reason for that choice just where the job offer was .
Debborah.

Last edited by Divine Comedy; Feb 28th 2007 at 1:52 pm. Reason: missed abit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.