Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Yet another British bloke falls foul of UAE

Yet another British bloke falls foul of UAE

Old May 8th 2011, 8:43 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another British bloke falls foul of UAE

Originally Posted by Autonomy
The whole thing stinks. The whole proof of flipping the finger is ridiculous.

As for the tailgating - it's getting worse I think.

Yesterday on the 311 on the way back from RAK - I go to over take the idiot in the second to fastest lane so I move to the outside lane. He speeds up a little and we're now both doing about 120kms. He catches up with the car in from so now I'm kinda stuck in the outside lane... oh and who is this now behind me, about 5mm off my bumper - yes Al Twunt the Emirati in a big hurry.

Nowhere to move left or right, can't slow down as he's up my ass. Flashing like a maniac.

Have to floor the jeep to get it to about 140kms to get past and start to move over. This idiot as he goes past tries to hit me, I swear, he swerved at me at 140kms...

Did I flip the bird - very, very close, but I know the rules... made me so goddam angry - putting our lives at risk for what? A 20 second delay?

Off he went zig zagging left and right to get past cars... what a total asshole.
I think it is that kind of behaviour that annoys me more than anything here. Those people are dangerous, but I refuse to let them spoil my life.

We just have to hope that Darwinism does its thing...
Old May 8th 2011, 8:46 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
We just have to hope that Darwinism does its thing...
Believe me, that was my way of thinking at that point....
Old May 8th 2011, 8:51 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, that was my way of thinking at that point....
It's for the good of mankind
Old May 8th 2011, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

As someone once said to me here, 'The boys are busy playing with their toys and killing themselves, the women are getting an education'.

Darwinism, indeed.

Didn't Sheikh Khalifa ask parents to not buy their sons such highpowered cars a couple of years ago? (Does anyone know how to get stats of Emirati men killed and injured, and their ages, in car accidents).
Old May 8th 2011, 10:22 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

The level of poor attitude, inadequate driver training and ineffective traffic policing in the UAE never fails to amaze me. Having said that living / driving in Africa has opened my eyes to a whole new level of fookwitedness when it comes to risking life and limb on the roads....

Originally Posted by al dente
Does anyone know how to get stats of Emirati men killed and injured, and their ages, in car accidents
Nope, there is quite a lot out there on the rates per-capita, comparison to ROW etc but a quick search didn't reveal anything quite that specific. This quote was interesting though:

"According to Colonel Gaith Al Za'abi, Director of Traffic Department at the UAE Ministry of Interior (Gulf News report 13 January 2008), 25% of accidents in 2007involved UAE nationals, 49% involved Asians, and 19% involved Arab nationals. A percentage figure for western nationalities was not given in the report"

Whilst the there is no figure for westerners doing the simple math; excluding Arabs and Asians only leaves 7% for the rest of the worlds nationalities.....
Old May 8th 2011, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle

Can I ask a question? And don't shoot me down in flames - I'm a bit sensitive at the mo - is anyone truly happy here?

I ask this because there seems to be such a split in opinion. Not necessarily on this site - a ladies forum in Abu Dhabi seems to be a mix of "we love it, we get to have...(insert recreation or shopping treats here) and it is sunny every day" and those for whom being here is a means to an end and they put up with it but are pretty horrified at the racism/driving/insert all other negatives etc Some actively hate it...
I know the forum you are referring too and believe me there are a lot of rose tinted wearers on there.....what a lot of them don't tell you is that their "DH" has lost his job a number of times and how much debt they have to maintain their current lifestyle. A number of "happy" posters have disappeared but you don't know why; then there are the honest ones who tell the truth like the lady with the 5 children who has recently left as they just couldn't make ends meet here. She came out here full of hope and found that it wasn't all sunshine and that a lot of what she read on forums was in fact utter c*ap. Most people report the good news - look at facebook and see how much bragging goes on!
Old May 8th 2011, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welivehere
The level of poor attitude, inadequate driver training and ineffective traffic policing in the UAE never fails to amaze me. Having said that living / driving in Africa has opened my eyes to a whole new level of fookwitedness when it comes to risking life and limb on the roads....

Nope, there is quite a lot out there on the rates per-capita, comparison to ROW etc but a quick search didn't reveal anything quite that specific. This quote was interesting though:

"According to Colonel Gaith Al Za'abi, Director of Traffic Department at the UAE Ministry of Interior (Gulf News report 13 January 2008), 25% of accidents in 2007involved UAE nationals, 49% involved Asians, and 19% involved Arab nationals. A percentage figure for western nationalities was not given in the report"

Whilst the there is no figure for westerners doing the simple math; excluding Arabs and Asians only leaves 7% for the rest of the worlds nationalities.....
Try this............
http://www.coastaldigest.com/index.p...=view&id=21218

and this............
http://www.emirates247.com/news/3-60...01-24-1.346219

Last edited by Patsy Stoned; May 8th 2011 at 12:12 pm.
Old May 8th 2011, 12:07 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

The whole thing stinks. The whole proof of flipping the finger is ridiculous.

As for the tailgating - it's getting worse I think.

Yesterday on the 311 on the way back from RAK - I go to over take the idiot in the second to fastest lane so I move to the outside lane. He speeds up a little and we're now both doing about 120kms. He catches up with the car in from so now I'm kinda stuck in the outside lane... oh and who is this now behind me, about 5mm off my bumper - yes Al Twunt the Emirati in a big hurry.

Nowhere to move left or right, can't slow down as he's up my ass. Flashing like a maniac.

Have to floor the jeep to get it to about 140kms to get past and start to move over. This idiot as he goes past tries to hit me, I swear, he swerved at me at 140kms...

Did I flip the bird - very, very close, but I know the rules... made me so goddam angry - putting our lives at risk for what? A 20 second delay?

Off he went zig zagging left and right to get past cars... what a total asshole.
un-****ing-believable. The worst of it is, they probably think you're in the wrong.
Old May 8th 2011, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Think seems unduly generous...
Old May 8th 2011, 12:10 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Thanks Patsy...
Old May 8th 2011, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you have a cushy number for most it is bloody hard work working here, long hours, alot of stress etc.
Yer it's definetly a much easier life than being part of Strathclyde police. Flights paid for they've just rented me a nice 1bd Apt and feed me 3x a day.

Originally Posted by lionheart
Many of us on here (and back home) would be curious to know what line of work you are in and if it pays well. Nothing too specific, just a rough idea will suffice.
I does pay well i make more here than i did with Strathclyde police after Tax paying rent and grocery bills. As above i get free accomodation meals and flights home. I only fly emirates its part of my standard contract terms that i set. It's no great secret the money is good but sadly i spend 90% of my day twiddling my thumbs while my Gf and everyone else is at work so it has its downsides.

Ps am a DJ. nothing glamorous but i do well by it

Last edited by Chris_m; May 8th 2011 at 1:35 pm.
Old May 8th 2011, 2:55 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

it's not just the locals driving that is bad though. many a time I've experience Eastern & Western expatriates actually accelerate to close a gap that I want to move in to. WHY????
Old May 8th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
it's not just the locals driving that is bad though. many a time I've experience Eastern & Western expatriates actually accelerate to close a gap that I want to move in to. WHY????
because if you leave a gap, some asshole will change lanes and get into it, even if it means moving up by just half a car-length.

Keep leaving that gap, and you'll never get anywhere.
Old May 8th 2011, 3:27 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
because if you leave a gap, some asshole will change lanes and get into it, even if it means moving up by just half a car-length.
I have to remind myself consciously whenever I go back to Europe that I shouldn't drive like I do in the UAE. It's very very hard to drive defensively effectively in the UAE, I find. Leave an inch and someone has cut into it and possibly swiped the corner of your car in the process (I've actually had buses do this to me pulling away from traffic lights in Bur Dubai )
Old May 8th 2011, 3:50 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas

Keep leaving that gap, and you'll never get anywhere.

but but but if I want to turn left at the traffic lights and I've just arrived in the junction on the right hand lane I HAVE to change lanes and get into that gap!

and "you'll never get anywhere"? what? you mean you go backwards?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.