British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Wimbledon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/wimbledon-899047/)

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 12th 2017 11:21 am

Re: Wimbledon

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12292580)
I had thought this tournament would feature the return of Djoko and if not then of Murray, with Fed obviously the other likelihood. All three have shown signs of brilliance but each seems to be carrying some kind of niggling injury. I think this will become more problematic as the fortnight deepens and the intensity increases. So now I'm tending to think this could be an opportunity for big-serving (grass suited) Raonic to finally break through or Cilic, with the apparently easier draw, to sneak in again like he did a couple of years ago at Flushing Meadows.

Raonic 22/1
Cilic 6/1

Might have a flutter.

Federer now 6/4
Djokovic 3/1
Murray 3rd fav at 10/3 (this feels quite a generous bet?)

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 12th 2017 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292600)
Raonic 22/1
Cilic 6/1

Might have a flutter.

Federer now 6/4
Djokovic 3/1
Murray 3rd fav at 10/3 (this feels quite a generous bet?)

That's an incredible price for Raonic, even if he is the best example of face-like-a-smacked-arse since Andrey Arshavin (remember him?)...

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 12th 2017 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12292618)
That's an incredible price for Raonic...

I've taken your word for it.

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 12th 2017 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292619)
I've taken your word for it.

Should have waited for my edit....

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 12th 2017 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12292620)
Should have waited for my edit....

I remember Arse-Shavin. He was good.

I'm happy with £5 on Raonic. It's an educated guess based solely on what you just told me and it's a fiver. I can live with losing a fiver. Just.

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 12th 2017 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292629)
I remember Arse-Shavin. He was good. Twice: both times against Liverpool so that may not really count.

Fixed that

Autonomy Jul 12th 2017 3:17 pm

Well that wasn't pretty...

nottmbantam Jul 12th 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 12292845)

Still at work, had to resort to BBC updates, sounded like he was proper fooked with his hip?

mikelincs Jul 12th 2017 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12292858)
Still at work, had to resort to BBC updates, sounded like he was proper fooked with his hip?

Yes, he was hobbling around and obviously in pain, the fact that the last two sets went 6-1 to Querry gives away that Murray wasn't fully fit.. Many players would have given up and retired.

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 12th 2017 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292629)

I'm happy with £5 on Raonic. It's an educated guess based solely on what you just told me and it's a fiver. I can live with losing a fiver. Just.

Ah sorry pet.....

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 13th 2017 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12292806)
Fixed that

True. Maybe that's all I remember.

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 12292845)

Didn't see it but saw some highlights, Murray hobbled to the net at the end so I guess the 'niggles' he had at the start of the tournament were pretty accurate.

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12293046)
Ah sorry pet.....

Shame. Never mind.
Watched some of it and Federer is just another level when he wants to be.

Djokovic has retired too.

Surely this is a stroll to another title for Roger?

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 13th 2017 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12293286)
Shame. Never mind.
Watched some of it and Federer is just another level when he wants to be.

Djokovic has retired too.

Surely this is a stroll to another title for Roger?

I would love to see Federer keep this form and win in style but too many times in the last few years he has looked invincible only to crumble at the end. He has been nursing some niggling thing (knee?) and hasn't had a long match this time to test his fitness - could be an advantage but leaves me with a doubt.

Nevertheless, this year does seem different. I was sure when the Oz open final went to a fifth set that Nadal had it in the bag as he always would have in the past. Raonic was Fed's Wimbledon kryptonite last year but he swatted him aside effortlessly yesterday. Cilic put him out in the 2014 US Open though I guess that is a long time ago. Berdych is probably the best player on the circuit never to have won a grand slam but I think his moment has passed. And Federer incredibly seems to have added some weapons to his armoury which cleverly compensate for his age and slightly reduced mobility. So he SHOULD win it but still, he's Roger Federer....

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 13th 2017 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12293302)
I would love to see Federer keep this form and win in style but too many times in the last few years he has looked invincible only to crumble at the end. He has been nursing some niggling thing (knee?) and hasn't had a long match this time to test his fitness - could be an advantage but leaves me with a doubt.

Nevertheless, this year does seem different. I was sure when the Oz open final went to a fifth set that Nadal had it in the bag as he always would have in the past. Raonic was Fed's Wimbledon kryptonite last year but he swatted him aside effortlessly yesterday. Cilic put him out in the 2014 US Open though I guess that is a long time ago. Berdych is probably the best player on the circuit never to have won a grand slam but I think his moment has passed. And Federer incredibly seems to have added some weapons to his armoury which cleverly compensate for his age and slightly reduced mobility. So he SHOULD win it but still, he's Roger Federer....

I know barely anything about tennis. Mainly because I'm not that interested but I do like Federer. Seems a classy guy.

Odds Update:

Federer 1/3
Cilic 4/1
Berdych 12/1
Querrey 20/1

Berdych worth a flutter?
Federer plays Cilic next?

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 13th 2017 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12293321)
I know barely anything about tennis. Mainly because I'm not that interested but I do like Federer. Seems a classy guy.

Odds Update:

Federer 1/3
Cilic 4/1
Berdych 12/1
Querrey 20/1

Berdych worth a flutter?
Federer plays Cilic next?

Well in the same way that Raonic seemed a great bet at 22-1 when there were 8 people left and he had beaten Fed in the SF last year, Querrey with his huge serve (again, a particular advantage on grass) at 20-1 in a 4 man field seems like a useful long shot. I can't see Berdych taking Fed: they know each other too well and it is Fed who has changed his game recently so can provide the surprise element. Cilic looks like a fair price, maybe slightly underpriced...

Autonomy Jul 13th 2017 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12293302)

As usual, a very well written and informed comment.

I can't see any other winner than Federer. I had him down as eventual winner before the tournament and now with Murray, Wawrinka, Nadal and Novak all out, I really can't see a big challenge to him. He had a restful first half of the year came back and won Halle on grass. He is ultra keen for one more slam and Wimbledon does suit him a lot. The crowd will be 100% behind Fed. The experience and cool head that he has, the others could wilt in the Centre Court pressure...