British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Wimbledon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/wimbledon-899047/)

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 4th 2017 7:53 am

Wimbledon

Morning Auto,

Looking forward to Wimbledon this year?
Murray won didn't he?

Anyway. There's a dearth of things to bet on and you know this stuff better than most on here. Can Murray do it or should I back Nadal or Sir Roger of Federer?

UKCityGent Jul 4th 2017 8:52 am

Re: Wimbledon

Ive got a punt on Nadal - was considering Murray but got a feeling he lost his mojo recently

jam25mack Jul 4th 2017 9:03 am

Never had a bet on tennis. Are the odds worth it for a straight win or do you have to get technical (and if so i'm lost when it comes to tennis).

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 4th 2017 9:48 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12286445)
Ive got a punt on Nadal - was considering Murray but got a feeling he lost his mojo recently

Did you get a good price?

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12286451)
Never had a bet on tennis. Are the odds worth it for a straight win or do you have to get technical (and if so i'm lost when it comes to tennis).

LIVE:
2/1 for Federer
4 for Nadal
5 for Djokovic and Murray
Others are 16's ++++

nottmbantam Jul 4th 2017 9:55 am

Not really a betting man, but fancy Nadal for this one.

mission Jul 4th 2017 10:17 am

blah blah blah

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 4th 2017 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12286488)

Unless he can actually get Dr. Marques on court injecting his funny stuff directly into his legs I'd say his knees will be gone by week two and after a strong start he'll crash out to a low ranker...

I don't think Fed will do it either. I predict the return of Djoko or Murray, hopefully the latter as - in the absence so far of Auto - somebody has to speak up for the the most naturally talented player since Fed!

But where the bloody hell to watch it since BeIn got the exclusive this year...

TheShed Jul 5th 2017 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12286828)
Unless he can actually get Dr. Marques on court injecting his funny stuff directly into his legs I'd say his knees will be gone by week two and after a strong start he'll crash out to a low ranker...

I don't think Fed will do it either. I predict the return of Djoko or Murray, hopefully the latter as - in the absence so far of Auto - somebody has to speak up for the the most naturally talented player since Fed!

Most of the pubs that I go to still have BEIN which is strange. I'm guessing they get it via a satellite link or something.

IKnowNothing Jul 5th 2017 6:32 am

I've been watching Le Tour streamed via Eurosport, it gets me through the early evenings and much better than tennis.

mission Jul 5th 2017 6:51 am

while in the gym last night, on the tv screen, there appeared to be a live bout with that Rhonda chick vs some Brazilian chick - did anyone see that last night?

nottmbantam Jul 5th 2017 6:56 am

Aye - I had the full monty sports package here in KSA but now its gone all Pete Tong, haven't bothered renewing my subs. Looks like I'll have to find some dodgy live stream littered with ads to navigate.

jam25mack Jul 5th 2017 7:02 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12287099)
Most of the pubs that I go to still have BEIN which is strange. I'm guessing they get it via a satellite link or something.

Bein is still available on most of the bar systems but they have been informed not to show it otherwise they may be fined. I was talking to one of the managers the other day and he said someone had come round checking if they had it on. He also said that his hotel lawyers were talking to the municipality about what the legal standpoint is as they had paid for the full year. Apparently everyone is busy trying to find a legal solution. I.e. not just the municipality saying 'No'....

TheShed Jul 5th 2017 8:23 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12287113)
I've been watching Le Tour streamed via Eurosport, it gets me through the early evenings and much better than tennis.

Been watching on ITV player love my veep

Autonomy Jul 7th 2017 7:29 am

Late reply - I don't bet so no idea on odds etc and now the tournament has started probably not great odds.

But now Wawrinka is out I'd have thought he was the only one out of the Big 4 that had a chance of winning. My money would be on Federer to win with Murray 2nd favourite.

Autonomy Jul 7th 2017 8:07 am

Just to add, I doubt it'll be this Wimbledon, but if you want to bet on the next player that will win a major that has not won one before I'd bet on Alex Zverev.

In a few years he'll be the one to beat.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 9th 2017 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 12288865)
Late reply - I don't bet so no idea on odds etc and now the tournament has started probably not great odds.

But now Wawrinka is out I'd have thought he was the only one out of the Big 4 that had a chance of winning. My money would be on Federer to win with Murray 2nd favourite.

Thanking you. :thumbup:

I'd love to see Federer win it again.

nottmbantam Jul 11th 2017 5:43 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12286488)

Good job I'm not a betting man.

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 11th 2017 12:46 pm

Ahem. Since we're quoting ourselves and all....

nottmbantam Jul 11th 2017 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12291753)
Ahem. Since we're quoting ourselves and all....

Very incisive. A bit like Mullers forehands down the line.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 12th 2017 5:11 am

So this makes Murray's march to the final a bit easier seeing as Nadal was on his side of the draw?

Konta to face Williams in the semi, commentators wetting their pants about a Brit woman doing well which is madness when you think how long (1978) it's been since a Wimbledon womens semi finalist was a Brit.
I hadn't heard of her though... Googled her.... Classic 'Brit', would fit in well in the old Strauss cricket side. Hungarian parents, born in Sydney, used to 'play' for Australia until given a British passport. The Empire was good for something eh.

Autonomy Jul 12th 2017 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292306)
So this makes Murray's march to the final a bit easier seeing as Nadal was on his side of the draw?

I don't think anything will be easy, it only matters if he gets to the semi final... but clearly, if you had the choice you'd maybe rather not play Nadal...

I hadn't heard of her though... Googled her.... Classic 'Brit', would fit in well in the old Strauss cricket side. Hungarian parents, born in Sydney, used to 'play' for Australia until given a British passport. The Empire was good for something eh.
Meh - all a bit Daily Mail sentiment there.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 12th 2017 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 12292324)
Meh - all a bit Daily Mail sentiment there.

I was actually being positive about it. Grateful that people want to play for Britain and that we have the reach to attract these people. It's a good thing..... You know, upside, optimistic, upbeat, encouraging, constructive etc. But don't let that get in the way of stereotyping or having a pop or gently reminding the entire world you look down on it with disgust.

Inselaffen Jul 12th 2017 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292331)
I was actually being positive about it. Grateful that people want to play for Britain and that we have the reach to attract these people. It's a good thing..... You know, upside, optimistic, upbeat, encouraging, constructive etc. But don't let that get in the way of stereotyping or having a pop or gently reminding the entire world you look down on it with disgust.

I don't think she had any particular attachment to the UK. Was purely financial. She left Oz because her funding was cut.

Great she is representing Great Britain but in my eyes she is not British. Same as rugby players such as Ben Teo. Someone like Chris Froome is different as he has British parents.

Autonomy Jul 12th 2017 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292331)

2 things - if that's what you meant, than great - I agree with that sentiment, so I apologise for my misunderstanding of your comment.

Though - if I happen to disagree with a comment doesn't mean that I am stereotyping, having a pop or "gently reminding the entire world you look down on it with disgust" - As far as I am aware I am allowed an opinion and I'm allowed to state it on this forum.

Perhaps you can stop having a pop at me everytime I post?

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 12th 2017 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 12292346)
I don't think she had any particular attachment to the UK. Was purely financial. She left Oz because her funding was cut.

Great she is representing Great Britain but in my eyes she is not British. Same as rugby players such as Ben Teo. Someone like Chris Froome is different as he has British parents.

I'm reminded of the Spitting Image announcement over the closing credits: Zola Budd completed the whatever marathon in 2 hours 57 minutes and 25 seconds which was 3 minutes and 30 seconds inside the qualifying time for a British passport....

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 12th 2017 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 12292397)
Though - if I happen to disagree with a comment doesn't mean that I am stereotyping, having a pop or "gently reminding the entire world you look down on it with disgust" - As far as I am aware I am allowed an opinion and I'm allowed to state it on this forum.

Perhaps you can stop having a pop at me everytime I post?

It's the way it's done, but nevermind.
I started this thread deliberately for you :(

nottmbantam Jul 12th 2017 9:37 am

Never would have thought she was a Aussie, listening to her speak. Ever so posh, BBC announcers probably want to speak like her. Innit.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 12th 2017 10:02 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12292499)
Never would have thought she was a Aussie, listening to her speak. Ever so posh, BBC announcers probably want to speak like her. Innit.

I was loving the Chelsea Pensioners in the corner :thumbup:

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 12th 2017 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 12288865)

I had thought this tournament would feature the return of Djoko and if not then of Murray, with Fed obviously the other likelihood. All three have shown signs of brilliance but each seems to be carrying some kind of niggling injury. I think this will become more problematic as the fortnight deepens and the intensity increases. So now I'm tending to think this could be an opportunity for big-serving (grass suited) Raonic to finally break through or Cilic, with the apparently easier draw, to sneak in again like he did a couple of years ago at Flushing Meadows.

Newandimprovediggles Jul 12th 2017 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 12292346)

You have confused your self here. Teo has an English mother, Nathan Hughes on the other hand didn't play for fiji and waited for citizenship, because 1 international game was 500quid for fiji, and for England its 25,000.

For the record she is not British in anyway, its kind of embarrassing celebrating her success as a British athlete. And my favorite Big Mo will be done for doping soon :rofl:

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 12th 2017 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12292580)
I had thought this tournament would feature the return of Djoko and if not then of Murray, with Fed obviously the other likelihood. All three have shown signs of brilliance but each seems to be carrying some kind of niggling injury. I think this will become more problematic as the fortnight deepens and the intensity increases. So now I'm tending to think this could be an opportunity for big-serving (grass suited) Raonic to finally break through or Cilic, with the apparently easier draw, to sneak in again like he did a couple of years ago at Flushing Meadows.

Raonic 22/1
Cilic 6/1

Might have a flutter.

Federer now 6/4
Djokovic 3/1
Murray 3rd fav at 10/3 (this feels quite a generous bet?)

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 12th 2017 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292600)
Raonic 22/1
Cilic 6/1

Might have a flutter.

Federer now 6/4
Djokovic 3/1
Murray 3rd fav at 10/3 (this feels quite a generous bet?)

That's an incredible price for Raonic, even if he is the best example of face-like-a-smacked-arse since Andrey Arshavin (remember him?)...

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 12th 2017 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12292618)
That's an incredible price for Raonic...

I've taken your word for it.

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 12th 2017 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292619)
I've taken your word for it.

Should have waited for my edit....

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 12th 2017 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12292620)
Should have waited for my edit....

I remember Arse-Shavin. He was good.

I'm happy with £5 on Raonic. It's an educated guess based solely on what you just told me and it's a fiver. I can live with losing a fiver. Just.

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 12th 2017 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292629)
I remember Arse-Shavin. He was good. Twice: both times against Liverpool so that may not really count.

Fixed that

Autonomy Jul 12th 2017 3:17 pm

Well that wasn't pretty...

nottmbantam Jul 12th 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 12292845)
Well that wasn't pretty...

Still at work, had to resort to BBC updates, sounded like he was proper fooked with his hip?

mikelincs Jul 12th 2017 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12292858)
Still at work, had to resort to BBC updates, sounded like he was proper fooked with his hip?

Yes, he was hobbling around and obviously in pain, the fact that the last two sets went 6-1 to Querry gives away that Murray wasn't fully fit.. Many players would have given up and retired.

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 12th 2017 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12292629)

I'm happy with £5 on Raonic. It's an educated guess based solely on what you just told me and it's a fiver. I can live with losing a fiver. Just.

Ah sorry pet.....