Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What weren't you allowed?

What weren't you allowed?

Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What weren't you allowed?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Never heard it called Dib Dab before. Sherbet or Sherbet Fountain was the one with the stick of liquorice sticking out if the top.
Wasn't a dibdab a packet/sachet of sherbert with a flat round lolly in it?

EDIT>

It was indeed a dipdap.

And this is a sherbert fountain. Never had those as I hate liquorice

I preferred flying saucers

Last edited by Meow; Nov 17th 2013 at 6:52 am.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Meow

EDIT>

It was indeed a dipdap.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2w7391t.png

http://i39.tinypic.com/qnurk0.png

http://i43.tinypic.com/2rdg6y9.png
Double Dip's were the best sherbet sweet IMO

What weren't you allowed?-doubledip.jpg
Old Nov 17th 2013, 7:21 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mogs

Attachment 114725
I have zero recollection of those.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

Fizzy drinks and sweets were not allowed in our house either.Although when I go back home now the fridge has pop in and sweets are in the cupboard. My Dad has a proper sweet tooth.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

Attachment 114725
Those were amazing!!!
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:15 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Attachment 114725
All still availble... http://www.johnlewis.com/retro-mixed...-1-2kg/p158844

Last time I was Heathrow T3 they also sold them in Duty Free.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Virtually nowt that has been mentioned, were you lot not allowed to be children ?

* we couldn't afford most stuff anyway
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Sandboy
Virtually nowt that has been mentioned, were you lot not allowed to be children ?

Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

That comment immediately reminded me Pink Floyd's The Wall film.
"The best years of our lives..."
Old Nov 17th 2013, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Attachment 114725
Brilliant! THAT'S what I was trying (unsuccessfully) to remember!
Old Nov 17th 2013, 10:12 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Sandboy

Junk food was limited and manners were deemed very important but in the summer holidays I used to disappear all day with mates on my bike and that was fine provided I was home in time for dinner. Unless I had to babysit my little brother which was an excuse to make him dress up in daft outfits. I still have photos of many of them.

Few children get that kind of freedom these days.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 10:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Or particularly want it, it seems.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 10:19 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Junk food was limited and manners were deemed very important but in the summer holidays I used to disappear all day with mates on my bike and that was fine provided I was home in time for dinner. Unless I had to babysit my little brother which was an excuse to make him dress up in daft outfits. I still have photos of many of them.

We'd do the same, leave after breakfast and get back for dinner time (around 5 or 6 pm).

OK, I wasn't a kid as such but at 15 me and my mate (same age) went away for a 12 day bike ride around the Lake District (from basically Durham) staying at Youth Hostels, no mobiles, internet etc. and 6 quid a day to live off. I'd literally pedal off with my mate and a few sandwiches and get back nearly 2 weeks later, I think I may have sent one postcard (remember them) in all that time, never called, nothing.

Maybe they were trying to tell me something?
Old Nov 17th 2013, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I wasn't allowed to smoke, but drinking was fine as long as it was at home in front of everyone (and I didn't get into any of the binge drinking silliness my peers did because of this rule).

N.
My folks were much the same -I had to leave home to smoke inside, but drinking? So long as I was were they could see what I was (more or less) up to, then that was fine. They weren't too enthusiastic when I ended up with my nut round the U-bend, but all they said was "Learnt a lesson, have you?"
Sadly not....
Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

beccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nice

EDIT>

It was indeed a dipdap.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2w7391t.png

http://i39.tinypic.com/qnurk0.png

http://i43.tinypic.com/2rdg6y9.png
Oh dear my memory isn't very good either!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.