Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What percentage of your salary do you spend on rent?

What percentage of your salary do you spend on rent?

Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: What percentage of your salary do you spend on rent?

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
says the self-qualified lawyer who qualified from Bush Law School

Meow - given you are clearly an expert in absolutely everything, would you please explain how Article 141 dis-applies the requirement for employees not to receive an End of Service Benefit payment (and/or allows employers to disapply the application of the Federal Labour Law). The fact that you are clearly taking a considerable amount of time to argue and make your wrong point indicates you haven't a clue what you're talking about...

Article 141 of UAE Law No. 8 of 1980, as amended (the UAE Labour Law) allows an employer that operates a retirement or insurance plan to offer participation in that plan to expatriate employees in satisfaction of the employee's entitlement to Gratuity on the termination of employment. Under the legislation, an employee who is entitled to a retirement pension has the ability to choose between the more advantageous of (i) the statutory Gratuity entitlement and (ii) the pension entitlement. If the employee does not elect to participate in the retirement plan, on the termination of employment he or she will be entitled to an amount in respect of Gratuity, as calculated under Articles 132 to 134 of the UAE Labour Law (the Gratuity Amount) (assuming the employee otherwise meets all qualifying conditions for a payment).

Finally, you're the only one I see making personal insults on this thread (and Scamp is an acknowledged immature twit so we can discount him). FYI, I am not grumpy - I have no cause to be. But I do take exception to self-appointed and self-aggrandising "experts" pontificating on boards like this giving everyone mis-information in the name if "help", whilst at the same time self promoting..... Any more links for us to share?
So, surely that means that if you're part of a pension plan (which you agree to) then you're not entitled to claim gratuity?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
So, surely that means that if you're part of a pension plan (which you agree to) then you're not entitled to claim gratuity?
No as far as i can tell (and i nearly failed law) it means if there is a pension plan available or you are part of a pension plan you can choose whether to take the gratuity or the pension benefit.

and also Meow - You've been lawyered!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Theseus
No as far as i can tell (and i nearly failed law) it means if there is a pension plan available or you are part of a pension plan you can choose whether to take the gratuity or the pension benefit.

and also Meow - You've been lawyered!
Yeah, but it reads like you choose between the two?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Scamp - it means that if (and that's a big IF) there is a pension plan in place for expatriate workers (which is rare in the UAE), then the pension plan can be no worse than the EOSB as provided for in the law, plus the employee has the choice to elect which he receives - i.e. pension or EOSB.

The point about employers not paying some form of EOSB/gratuity and not being able to contract out of or dis-apply the Federal Law (this is such a ridiculous notion that it makes me laugh every time I think about it) remains the same.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:25 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

We get a basic salary and benefits, yes it is a shame that we don't get EOSB on the whole package but that's life, at least we don't have the worry of find rent etc.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
We get a basic salary and benefits, yes it is a shame that we don't get EOSB on the whole package but that's life, at least we don't have the worry of find rent etc.
Do you have a UAE Labour card?

[separate point but EOSB is calculated on basic salary alone]
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Scamp - it means that if (and that's a big IF) there is a pension plan in place for expatriate workers (which is rare in the UAE), then the pension plan can be no worse than the EOSB as provided for in the law, plus the employee has the choice to elect which he receives - i.e. pension or EOSB.

The point about employers not paying some form of EOSB/gratuity and not being able to contract out of or dis-apply the Federal Law (this is such a ridiculous notion that it makes me laugh every time I think about it) remains the same.
they were discussing this on the radio, some Asian expats who have been here for donkeys years leave with next to nothing due to the capping of end of service benefits, I can't see a pension system ever being set up here though.
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a flag? (Eddie Izzard reference - look it up on youtube)
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:27 am
Concierge

Do you have a UAE Labour card?
my husband will have
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:27 am
Account Closed

It's interesting how things can be interpreted differently.

As I said, to me it sounds like you pick which is worth more (assuming you know), if you don't you get EOSB.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

It's interesting how things can be interpreted differently.

As I said, to me it sounds like you pick which is worth more (assuming you know), if you don't you get EOSB.
Scamp, there is only a choice to be made IF THE EMPLOYER OPERATES A PENSION SCHEME (which most don't) in which case the employee can choose the more beneficial of the two options. Otherwise EOSB is payable.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
my husband will have
This won't help you personally... Are you working illegally (in which case you will struggle enforcing any rights).
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by commander
Actually you can. I checked today. I dont get gratuity as I signed a waiver in my main US contract. As meow states, I am compensated elsewhere...pension scheme, bonus etc etc....
Scamp, there is only a choice to be made IF THE EMPLOYER OPERATES A PENSION SCHEME (which most don't) in which case the employee can choose the more beneficial of the two options. Otherwise EOSB is payable.
I guess that Commander is one of the very few.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:35 am
Concierge

This won't help you personally... Are you working illegally (in which case you will struggle enforcing any rights).
I don't actually work officially, I help out a friend in her business. I was referring to my husbands position.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

I guess that Commander is one of the very few.
Would seem that way (again, I think there was a lost in translation). But given he is getting a pension contribution in lieu of EOSB, it's not correct to say he doesn't receive or is not entitled to receive an EOSB/gratuity (whatever you want to call it) as he is receiving something else in lieu of this (which he has elected to receive).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.