Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What percentage of your salary do you spend on rent?

What percentage of your salary do you spend on rent?

Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:51 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What percentage of your salary do you spend on rent?

25% give or take...
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:14 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Yeah but that's just negotiating isn't it? Higher or lower salary = higher or lower package.
It's the same value package.
Believe me I understand the concept well, I was just pointing out that higher allowances are not to the detriment(or gain) of my salary as I negotiate them separately with two different sections.

I hate all in packages as I think you lose both ways, they will keep your allowances high to keep your end of service benefit payment low and also you have to chase around all the bullshit to get a house, utilities or car etc.
I would take a 10% or more cut on the allowance rather than have to do all that stuff myself.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Believe me I understand the concept well, I was just pointing out that higher allowances are not to the detriment(or gain) of my salary as I negotiate them separately with two different sections.

I hate all in packages as I think you lose both ways, they will keep your allowances high to keep your end of service benefit payment low and also you have to chase around all the bullshit to get a house, utilities or car etc.
I would take a 10% or more cut on the allowance rather than have to do all that stuff myself.
That's the thing, everyone is different in what they want.

Single status blokes love an all-in to be able to live cheaply and no waste a big housing allowance that they don't get to touch.

Swings and roundabouts if you work for a company that does 60% as the basic. A lot take the piss and have stupidly low basic salaries to avoid the EOS payment as you say.

I look at the gratuity as a bonus, nothing more, nothing less. Buy my salary means it's not a lot to cry about - your's probably equates to some tidy figures mate!
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:29 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Really? So after your salary is paid for, the housing allowance is paid from proceeds of lottery winings or from kindness of heart of the employer. After they finish negotiating with you, they don't draw one bottom line under 'cost of employing this guy'?
I get exactly the same salary here, USA or Singapore or outer ****ing Mongolia for that matter...

Cause I'm worth it....
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:31 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
About 19%. At the height of the ridiculous rents, I was paying about 40%.
No featherbed package?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by commander
Cause I'm worth it....
hahahah debatable.

I'd want more to be in Outer Mongolia...
Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:01 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

From the money tree....

Let me break the bad news to you, all those 'benefits' and 'allowances' you have to earn for your employer to pay them out on your behalf. It's an accounting entry name difference only, but at the end of the day your complete package is your salary. This is what you make whatever name is put against this entry in your contract.
Nope - because i live in a 20 yr lease 5 bedroomed villa with 4 bathrooms, and approx 200 sq.m. of lawn. The company pays around 1/5th of the market rate for a similar place in a similar area.

I negotiate my salary as my take home pay. The company pays for a house of a suitable standard and location and utilities on top of that.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Interesting spread.
Now I want to know how much everyone earns!
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:01 pm
Banned

Ajeeb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Interesting spread.
Now I want to know how much everyone earns!
Simple: Salary = Amount paid for rent/% paid on housing.

So for Millhouse, that is 100*175K/28 = 607p/a. And no one makes more than Millhouse, thus, no one makes more than GBP 103K p/a.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:42 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

I am not disputing where it comes from, I am saying that the two don't aggregate for me, I can have a higher or lower salary and it will not affect the rate they will give me for housing.
Its not like if I get a lower salary they will give me a huge housing rate or vice versa.
The post I replied to mentioned if I didn't have a housing allowance I would earn more, not true in my case.
An dtuigeann tĂș ?
It doesn't matter whether you'd get more or less if they weren't paying benefits they're paying.

For the employer the total cost of your employment includes all benefits which are a part of your package. I know that because we do it the right way when we account for direct labour cost. It's all costs related to your package and it should account for basic, bonus and all benefits like end of service, etc. This is how we determine how much we can pay someone for the employment to make sense to the bottom line. If it's not done this way, then the cost of your employment is not properly accounted for.

On the employee side, every benefit has a market value and this includes the rent of the house, airline tickets, medical, bonus, basic, the whole lot. This is what you get paid and it does not matter how you get paid and it does not matter how much you would get paid in another job or with a different structure of your package. This is what you make.

Even in special cases where a company may have a special deal on the house they let you use, the cost of employment and your overall package should be accounted for in the same fashion because even if I as a company have a special deal on the house I am letting you use, I should account for the market rate of the house I would otherwise be getting if I wasn't letting you use it.

Guys, you're all smart people. How the hell do you not get these things?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Am not sure I understand the basis of the question re the rent thing? It doesn't account for the fact that some ppl will may pay low rent (and therefore potentially a small %) and choose to live in a hovel (but don't actually earn much money) whilst some ppl will pay more to live in a palace. The point is the same for ppl earning the same salary, one who decides to live in International ShItty / Disco Gardens or somewhere else dreadful, and another who lives in Downtown area.

Wouldn't a more relevant question be whether one is prepared to pay a higher % to live somewhere decent? Or alternatively, assuming a salary of xxx, how much would you pay to live somewhere decent and/or what would be a decent housing allowance?

It also doesn't account for differences between Qatar/UAE/Kuwait/KSA etc with regards to rents (Dubai being cheap, Qatar being spastic expensive, Riyadh being super spastic expensive).
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Or is it just a badly veiled "how much do you earn Q"?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:57 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter whether you'd get more or less if they weren't paying benefits they're paying.
Guys, you're all smart people. How the hell do you not get these things?
I am speaking from my side, the employee. Was explaining that the salary and benefits are not interrelated for me, the employee.

Of course the bottom line for the employer is the total, everybody understands that. My point was I negotiate then they total the costs and that's my cost as an employee, not that they have a fixed line prior to this and if I get more as allowance then I get less salary. (which someone else was claiming)

An bhfuil a fhios agat anois?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:07 am
Account Closed

I am speaking from my side, the employee. Was explaining that the salary and benefits are not interrelated for me, the employee.

Of course the bottom line for the employer is the total, everybody understands that. My point was I negotiate then they total the costs and that's my cost as an employee, not that they have a fixed line prior to this and if I get more as allowance then I get less salary. (which someone else was claiming)

An bhfuil a fhios agat anois?
So if someone at a new company came to offer you a job as an all-in package and asked what you want you'd just crumble into a ball of confusion?

Everyone's different eh. You get your shit sorted and it works for you. Other's get the cash money and sort their shit themselves. I see what you're saying, as I do with DesertDubliner...
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:19 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Scamp
So if someone at a new company came to offer you a job as an all-in package and asked what you want you'd just crumble into a ball of confusion?
Offer me a job and I will see what happens

This is my case only now as I am negotiating internally with the company but out in the big bad world I would be forced to deal with all in packages etc

Perhaps the strangest thing between me and Desert Dubliner is the idea that we have proper costings etc. after a few years knocking around the ME I still have no idea how the hell we make a profit (and that's starting from a profit margin of 35%). The tried and tested formula as far as I can see is that we have no idea what we are really doing but at the end if there is no money in the bank we go and beg the client for more

Last edited by weasel decentral; Jan 15th 2013 at 4:25 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.