Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What percentage of your salary do you spend on rent?

What percentage of your salary do you spend on rent?

Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What percentage of your salary do you spend on rent?

Originally Posted by norsk
Now I can't comment on the specific benefit discussed, but I know for a fact that you can sign away (at least some of) your rights provided in the UAE labour law.

How do I know this? I was made redundant from a previous employer and made a complaint with the MoL as the payoff was ridiculous. One of the points I tried to get more money for was flights, but it turns out I had accidentally partially signed away my rights for flights in my contract and despite this being provisioned by law the mediator (yes a real judge) told me that the contract was what would count if I went to court. Eventually I settled with my ex employer as a whole, but I lost out on this point...
The Labour Law specifies a repatriation flight. One way. Doesn't specify direct flight (i.e. not 2 stops etc), which airline, which class, whether you get chauffeur drive, excess baggage allowance or any other sugar on the top.

Q. Did you or did you not get a flight ticket home paid for?
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
The Labour Law specifies a repatriation flight. One way. Doesn't specify direct flight (i.e. not 2 stops etc), which airline, which class, whether you get chauffeur drive, excess baggage allowance or any other sugar on the top.

Q. Did you or did you not get a flight ticket home paid for?
Once again - Labour Law sets MINIMUM standard for employment agreements governed by UAE Law.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:32 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

You checked the jurisprudence of the UAE legal system as to how one contracts out of Federal Law?

I still can't believe ppl are arguing about this. You don't have a UAE employment contract - hence you won't have a labour card, right?

Lol at all the "lawyers" on here arguing re ability to contract out of Federal Law in the UAE....
Read my post FFS. I DO have a UAE employment contract and hence a labour card.

I'm saying, there possibly "could" be an avenue for me to seek this gratuity (by consulting a lawyer) however this would obviously mean taking the case against my company...silly move really.

I don't recall saying I know anything about federal UAE law, so quit being a knob..if that is possible
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:47 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

You checked the jurisprudence of the UAE legal system as to how one contracts out of Federal Law?

I still can't believe ppl are arguing about this. You don't have a UAE employment contract - hence you won't have a labour card, right?

Lol at all the "lawyers" on here arguing re ability to contract out of Federal Law in the UAE....
Is UAE law is some kind of completely clear black and white situation, easily determined? A clean line between this is the law and this isn't the law?

and its ok to calm down, no one cares about your legal ability you don't have to win the case here. its the internet FFS, save the arguing for when you can bill it to some one.

raaaaarr mother****er
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:49 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Round-Bum
Tá a fhios agam.

BTW - apologies for the crap Gaelge, I'm a blow in. Was a blow in. Oh, I dunno...
After 6 generations you are considered local hang in there
Old Jan 17th 2013, 4:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by commander
Read my post FFS. I DO have a UAE employment contract and hence a labour card.

I'm saying, there possibly "could" be an avenue for me to seek this gratuity (by consulting a lawyer) however this would obviously mean taking the case against my company...silly move really.

I don't recall saying I know anything about federal UAE law, so quit being a knob..if that is possible
Where exactly in your post do you state you DO have UAE employment contract and hence a labour card. You actually infer the contrary.

In any event, you don't need a lawyer to claim payment of your gratuity (EOSB) - just use Ministry of Labour. Since you are only entitled to your EOSB at the end of your employment with the company, I don't see why that would be a silly move (i.e. your relationship with them would be at an end).

Last edited by dubaiguy2011; Jan 17th 2013 at 7:31 am.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Is UAE law is some kind of completely clear black and white situation, easily determined? A clean line between this is the law and this isn't the law?

and its ok to calm down, no one cares about your legal ability you don't have to win the case here. its the internet FFS, save the arguing for when you can bill it to some one.

raaaaarr mother****er
Who's arguing? I was posting factual information to help another. I wasn't the one trying to argue a point I know nothing about... Just sayin' like....
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Start with article 141 of Labour Law and you can go further. #fact
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
Start with article 141 of Labour Law and you can go further. #fact
Give up. This is what you're doing:
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:44 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Give up. This is what you're doing:
I'm not telling him, I"m telling everyone else. I am not cross, although I do seem to have annoyed Mr Grumpy. It's quite amusing watching him froth at the mouth and make personal digs...
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:59 am
Account Closed

I'm not telling him, I"m telling everyone else. I am not cross, although I do seem to have annoyed Mr Grumpy. It's quite amusing watching him froth at the mouth and make personal digs...
You're telling me?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:02 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Scamp
You're telling me?

Anyone who wants facts really. But hey, what would I know about legal, financial and consumer issues?

Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Anyone who wants facts really. But hey, what would I know about legal, financial and consumer issues?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SjxY9rZwNGU
says the self-qualified lawyer who qualified from Bush Law School

Meow - given you are clearly an expert in absolutely everything, would you please explain how Article 141 dis-applies the requirement for employees not to receive an End of Service Benefit payment (and/or allows employers to disapply the application of the Federal Labour Law). The fact that you are clearly taking a considerable amount of time to argue and make your wrong point indicates you haven't a clue what you're talking about...

Article 141 of UAE Law No. 8 of 1980, as amended (the UAE Labour Law) allows an employer that operates a retirement or insurance plan to offer participation in that plan to expatriate employees in satisfaction of the employee's entitlement to Gratuity on the termination of employment. Under the legislation, an employee who is entitled to a retirement pension has the ability to choose between the more advantageous of (i) the statutory Gratuity entitlement and (ii) the pension entitlement. If the employee does not elect to participate in the retirement plan, on the termination of employment he or she will be entitled to an amount in respect of Gratuity, as calculated under Articles 132 to 134 of the UAE Labour Law (the Gratuity Amount) (assuming the employee otherwise meets all qualifying conditions for a payment).

Finally, you're the only one I see making personal insults on this thread (and Scamp is an acknowledged immature twit so we can discount him). FYI, I am not grumpy - I have no cause to be. But I do take exception to self-appointed and self-aggrandising "experts" pontificating on boards like this giving everyone mis-information in the name if "help", whilst at the same time self promoting..... Any more links for us to share?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SjxY9rZwNGU
On the basis of the above - clearly sweet FA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.