Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What percentage of your salary do you spend on rent?

What percentage of your salary do you spend on rent?

Old Jan 16th 2013, 4:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: What percentage of your salary do you spend on rent?

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Bit shortsighted - especially if you are with the same employer over five years. That can make a very big difference on a very nice lump sum payment.

Also - your argument is that best not to worry about gratuity as most new arrivals in Dubai didn't know about it beforehand and also that most people are under qualified and overpaid here... well that's encouraging....
I get your point, but it's still just a bonus, you know you'll get it, you know it'll be useful. I wonder how many people have it as part of their savings plan?

Not what I meant, apologies if that's how it read. I mean most people don't know about it, don't ask about it, don't understand it when they move here. It's only once people realise what it could mean financially that they start to worry about it and what the basic salary is etc etc.

Not everyone is under-qual'd (I mean that people aren't great, or have moved a lot and average CVs) and overpaid. I'm on a bit of a rant at the moment because of shitwankerbellendcunt candidates.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of

25% on rent + all bills of my total package, if I was on my own. But that 25% is split 50/50 with Hubs so in reality only 12.5%.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Commander said earlier that he does not get a gratuity. It can be waived if both the employer and employee sign a contract to that effect. Usually done where the employee is receiving another benefit of some kind to 'compensate'.
What is an employment contract??

I don't get it either.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Commander said earlier that he does not get a gratuity. It can be waived if both the employer and employee sign a contract to that effect. Usually done where the employee is receiving another benefit of some kind to 'compensate'.
You cannot make an agreement to contract out of the application of the Labour Law in the UAE. Such a provision is ultra vires and therefore void (read void due to illegality).

It's like signing an employment agreement in the UK which states the Employment Rights Act doesn't apply (i.e. irrelevant of what the provision says, the application of the law is pervasive and will serve to override and/or render void any such provision).

For those of you working (legally) in the private sector in the UAE (i.e. you have a Labour Card issued by the Ministry of Labour etc) in a jurisdiction where the UAE labour law is applicable, then you are entitled to End of Service Benefit in accordance with the labour law.

You can check online the copy of the Ministry of Labour contract applicable to you and registered with the Ministry of Labour for the purposes of obtaining your employment visa (read residency permit).

see http://eservices.mol.gov.ae/enetwasa....aspx?lang=eng
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:25 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
You cannot make an agreement to contract out of the application of the Labour Law in the UAE. Such a provision is ultra vires and therefore void (read void due to illegality).

It's like signing an employment agreement in the UK which states the Employment Rights Act doesn't apply (i.e. irrelevant of what the provision says, the application of the law is pervasive and will serve to override and/or render void any such provision).

For those of you working (legally) in the private sector in the UAE (i.e. you have a Labour Card issued by the Ministry of Labour etc) in a jurisdiction where the UAE labour law is applicable, then you are entitled to End of Service Benefit in accordance with the labour law.

You can check online the copy of the Ministry of Labour contract applicable to you and registered with the Ministry of Labour for the purposes of obtaining your employment visa (read residency permit).

see http://eservices.mol.gov.ae/enetwasa....aspx?lang=eng
Actually you can in regard to specific benefits. Contract law takes precedence and this is not the UK.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Actually you can in regard to specific benefits. Contract law takes precedence and this is not the UK.
We weren't talking specific benefits, we were talking End of Service Benefit (Gratuity) which is prescribed by the Labour Law. You cannot contract out of the Labour Law in the UAE to the extent it is applicable - i.e. if you're working (legally) for a company which is domiciled in a jurisdiction which is subject to the labour laws of the land (these are FEDERAL LAWS BTW) then the Federal Laws override everything. The UAE Labour Law sets a MINIMUM standard in respect of certain aspects of employment arrangements which are subject to and governed by the same.

Remind me again where you are admitted and licensed to practice law Meow?

Never ceases to amaze me the number of self-qualified 'bush lawyers' in the Middle East...
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:37 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

We weren't talking specific benefits, we were talking End of Service Benefit (Gratuity) which is prescribed by the Labour Law. You cannot contract out of the Labour Law in the UAE to the extent it is applicable - i.e. if you're working (legally) for a company which is domiciled in a jurisdiction which is subject to the labour laws of the land (these are FEDERAL LAWS BTW) then the Federal Laws override everything. The UAE Labour Law sets a MINIMUM standard in respect of certain aspects of employment arrangements which are subject to and governed by the same.

Remind me again where you are admitted and licensed to practice law Meow?

Never ceases to amaze me the number of self-qualified 'bush lawyers' in the Middle East...
You can. Per the Ministry of Labour and the various labour lawyers I consult. And I have never claimed to be a lawyer, Mr permanently bad tempered.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

You can.
Of course you can
Old Jan 16th 2013, 3:57 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Actually you can. I checked today. I dont get gratuity as I signed a waiver in my main US contract. As meow states, I am compensated elsewhere...pension scheme, bonus etc etc....
Old Jan 16th 2013, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Actually you can. I checked today. I dont get gratuity as I signed a waiver in my main US contract. As meow states, I am compensated elsewhere...pension scheme, bonus etc etc....
snap. All these things are possible.

I don't have a labour card or a contract lodged with the MOL.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 4:20 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I guess if I really wanted to burn my bridges with my work, I could go down the path of claiming that I have a local contract and by UAE law I am due compensation...

Considering I'm here on an overseas assignment, it would be a silly move unless I want fired.....
Old Jan 16th 2013, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Round-Bum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weasel decentral

An bhfuil a fhios agat anois?
Tá a fhios agam.

The OP asked what percentage of your salary, not what percentage of your total package. However, as that seems to be what people want to know - I've no idea. It's just paid for by the company and there it is. I know what the company costs me at, and what it's based on, but I've never questioned the figures in detail. I may seek out some invoices and try to work it out later, actually, it may be interesting to see.

BTW - apologies for the crap Gaelge, I'm a blow in. Was a blow in. Oh, I dunno...
Old Jan 16th 2013, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Hence why the UAE Labour Law is not applicable to you. Read my post.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by commander
You checked the jurisprudence of the UAE legal system as to how one contracts out of Federal Law?

I still can't believe ppl are arguing about this. You don't have a UAE employment contract - hence you won't have a labour card, right?

Lol at all the "lawyers" on here arguing re ability to contract out of Federal Law in the UAE....
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:25 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

You checked the jurisprudence of the UAE legal system as to how one contracts out of Federal Law?

I still can't believe ppl are arguing about this. You don't have a UAE employment contract - hence you won't have a labour card, right?

Lol at all the "lawyers" on here arguing re ability to contract out of Federal Law in the UAE....
Now I can't comment on the specific benefit discussed, but I know for a fact that you can sign away (at least some of) your rights provided in the UAE labour law.

How do I know this? I was made redundant from a previous employer and made a complaint with the MoL as the payoff was ridiculous. One of the points I tried to get more money for was flights, but it turns out I had accidentally partially signed away my rights for flights in my contract and despite this being provisioned by law the mediator (yes a real judge) told me that the contract was what would count if I went to court. Eventually I settled with my ex employer as a whole, but I lost out on this point...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.