Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What? Another car thread?

What? Another car thread?

Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: What? Another car thread?

Originally Posted by mission
was it that messed up as a first read lol
Sort of, yeah.

Anyways. Got some farkin' geezer comin' to 'ave a butchers at the motor tomorra.

I could do this car selling business, easy.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Sort of, yeah.

Anyways. Got some farkin' geezer comin' to 'ave a butchers at the motor tomorra.

I could do this car selling business, easy.
Now this can be a torturous experience in itself, so many looky loos out for an evening with the missus and kids, tyre kickers who are just bored, idiots that offer you half the asking price and stand there wondering why you have justt told them to **ck off!! Not counting the times you hang around waiting for the ones that never show up, and the ones that get lost trying to find you!

Enjoy Mr Scamp
Old Sep 19th 2017, 11:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Now this can be a torturous experience in itself, so many looky loos out for an evening with the missus and kids, tyre kickers who are just bored, idiots that offer you half the asking price and stand there wondering why you have justt told them to **ck off!! Not counting the times you hang around waiting for the ones that never show up, and the ones that get lost trying to find you!

Enjoy Mr Scamp
It's all good fun.

I'm perfectly relaxed about all of this. It'll sell when it sells and I've practiced my 'smile, "thanks for coming to look at the car", turn on heel, stroll away' move a lot.

**** it. Someone might buy it, someone might not. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is going to a testing centre and all of that dicking around. My boss got there, was in the transfer process, counted the money, the guy was trying to cut him down by another 2k at the desk. End of discussion, cancelled it all, walked away. Guy came out saying fine, he'll pay, boss refused to sell him the car at any price....I hope I don't have this because I'm easily that spiteful.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I like your boss.

My boss got there, was in the transfer process, counted the money, the guy was trying to cut him down by another 2k at the desk. End of discussion, cancelled it all, walked away. Guy came out saying fine, he'll pay, boss refused to sell him the car at any price.....
Old Sep 19th 2017, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

**** it. Someone might buy it, someone might not. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is going to a testing centre and all of that dicking around. My boss got there, was in the transfer process, counted the money, the guy was trying to cut him down by another 2k at the desk. End of discussion, cancelled it all, walked away. Guy came out saying fine, he'll pay, boss refused to sell him the car at any price....I hope I don't have this because I'm easily that spiteful.
Been there - I've also sold the car to someone else in the test centre for 1k more than what the buyer was offering. Had he not been such a cock up to that point I wouldn't have done it but he needed to be taught a lesson.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I like your boss.
Never seen him so angry, in fact, he's rarely angry but he came back and must have been a solid 30+mins later was still ranting about what a cock this guy was.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Been there - I've also sold the car to someone else in the test centre for 1k more than what the buyer was offering. Had he not been such a cock up to that point I wouldn't have done it but he needed to be taught a lesson.
That's amazing. I'm a bit soft with things like this but if someone's a helmet, they're a helmet.

Got someone coming to look tomorrow. Going to practice my in-car-crescendo-voice for the speed bump / rear whiles / clanking combo.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile

Enjoy Mr Scamp
i just tell the person on the phone that they should only come round to view the car if they are seriously interested, and that i will not go below X price and hence not to waste their or my time.
To be fair when i sold my last 2 cars of the 3 i previously had (3rd one got written off) i didn't encounter any issues and more or less sold them both within a few days of putting them on dubizzle.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

i just tell the person on the phone that they should only come round to view the car if they are seriously interested, and that i will not go below X price and hence not to waste their or my time.
To be fair when i sold my last 2 cars of the 3 i previously had (3rd one got written off) i didn't encounter any issues and more or less sold them both within a few days of putting them on dubizzle.
Worst advice ever Mission!
Old Sep 19th 2017, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

MOst who have messaged / called want ot agree a price before coming or at least ask: "Hi.wht lst lst price" (copy and pasted).

Laziest and least enjoyable negotiating ever. At least come and look at it and play the game.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

MOst who have messaged / called want ot agree a price before coming or at least ask: "Hi.wht lst lst price" (copy and pasted).

Laziest and least enjoyable negotiating ever. At least come and look at it and play the game.
Same on my FJ.

I've had several texts offering me 50k and one at 52k for it, unseen. One guy called me to tell me that "no one in Dubai wants to buy a manual", he was told "well you have called up".

I bought in cheap on the FJ at 103k almost 5 years ago (it was an ex. demo and no one wanted a manual obviously ). So 52k isn't bad after 5 years really, but I'm pushing for more.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is going to a testing centre and all of that dicking around.
One of the reasons I prefer to rent now. Last time, the buyer was dicking around so much (including an hour and a half wait in the MOE branch of his bank waiting for him to withdraw the cash because he didn't trust electronic transfers) that I offered to pay the cost of the VIP service to skip the queue. Once the transfer had been done and the paperwork was complete he turned to me about to ask for the cost of the VIP service, I just handed him the keys and walked off. We'd have been there for hours otherwise.

Also witnessed the most epic of meltdowns while I was waiting, some Aussie guy was selling a car under the ownership of his company, but the local guy working there wouldn't process the transaction because he wanted the original copy of the company's paperwork, not photocopies. As it turns out, the paperwork was original, it was just that the company logo is black and white. Local guy wouldn't accept it, even after he opened the company website on his phone to show the black and white logo. Surprised he didn't get arrested, he really went to town, swearing and everything.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 4:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Same on my FJ.

I've had several texts offering me 50k and one at 52k for it, unseen. One guy called me to tell me that "no one in Dubai wants to buy a manual", he was told "well you have called up".

I bought in cheap on the FJ at 103k almost 5 years ago (it was an ex. demo and no one wanted a manual obviously ). So 52k isn't bad after 5 years really, but I'm pushing for more.
Ah, my favourite negotiating style. The 'tell you what you've got is shit' and turn your nose up at it, even though you've entered into negotiating to buy it.

The best were the guys at Ras Al Khor, they weren't rude, they just honestly said they don't really want it, but they know they can flip it if the price is right.

Originally Posted by Gavtek
Also witnessed the most epic of meltdowns while I was waiting, some Aussie guy was selling a car under the ownership of his company, but the local guy working there wouldn't process the transaction because he wanted the original copy of the company's paperwork, not photocopies. As it turns out, the paperwork was original, it was just that the company logo is black and white. Local guy wouldn't accept it, even after he opened the company website on his phone to show the black and white logo. Surprised he didn't get arrested, he really went to town, swearing and everything.
Incredible. I'm never surprised by this place.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gavtek
One of the reasons I prefer to rent now. Last time, the buyer was dicking around so much (including an hour and a half wait in the MOE branch of his bank waiting for him to withdraw the cash because he didn't trust electronic transfers) that I offered to pay the cost of the VIP service to skip the queue. Once the transfer had been done and the paperwork was complete he turned to me about to ask for the cost of the VIP service, I just handed him the keys and walked off. We'd have been there for hours otherwise.

Surely the original document also had a company stamp, which would authenticate the document.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Worst advice ever Mission!
what's wrong with that?
As an eg if the car is up for say AED 150k, and you know in your mind you will accept 140k...then when the dude rings and starts haggling over the phone, you just tell him straight out that you will not accept below 140k and hence not to waste his or your time in coming and then trying to get it below 140k - that's my point.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.