Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What? Another car thread?

What? Another car thread?

Old Sep 20th 2017, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: What? Another car thread?

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Scamp, let's have some fun for us geeks.

How much did you pay for the car.

Your monthly payment.

How many months did you make payments.

Average annual costs for servicing/repairs

Cost of all big ticket expenses and repairs.

Cost 80,000
Daddy Deposit -16,000
Scamp Cost - 64,000
Monthly - 1,500 (roughly)
48 months = 72,000
Tyres x8 = 6,000
Services = 15,000 probably.
Insurance = 12,500 probably

Cost = 105,500
Had the car for 5yrs 8months (68mths)
= 1,551 per month. Assuming I get nothing for it.

Now subtract 18,000 selling price.

= 87,500 / 68mths = 1,287 Monthly cost.

I'm impressed. I thought it was going to be more than that but I guess the year++ that I haven't been paying the repayments has brought the average down. That and the deposit being covered.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively, you could have rented a POS for as low as 1200 a month and it'd probably have also been more fuel efficient, saving you additional money.

Or even better, rent a flat within walking distance of the office and not bother with car ownership (or take the metro for similar reasons).

Still, for owning a car, you did well. I am not judging. You got utility out of it and that's all that matters.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
of if I had rented a similar car (4k a month), it would be around 160k. Or rent a hate-yourself-car and spent 108k.

Or I could have ubered, paid around 50dh a day and spent around 70k over the period - of course, petrol is mine.

Transport costs money. Work out how much you have spent on smelly cars over the years, in my opinion owning cars is cheap here.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively, you could have rented a POS for as low as 1200 a month and it'd probably have also been more fuel efficient, saving you additional money.

Or even better, rent a flat within walking distance of the office and not bother with car ownership (or take the metro for similar reasons).

Still, for owning a car, you did well. I am not judging. You got utility out of it and that's all that matters.
Wouldnt rent a POS as i have self respect. Also the PSO wouldn't have taken me to the dunes of liwa or the waddis of Oman in quite the same way.

I could never walk to work as mental seperation is key. Not withstanding that the rent differential would pay for a car several times over.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Thoughts on the Jags here? Seem fantastic value, went to the showroom yesterday and had heaps of them kicking around the 100k mark with low mileage...
Old Sep 24th 2017, 8:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Alternatively, you could wear charity shop clothes, never go on holiday, travel back to the UK with Fly Dubai via Kiev and live in shared accommodation in Ruwais. Everyone buys things and does things that they might like / enjoy.

You are judging, comparing people to your standards / styles / thoughts.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I have owned an Audi A4 and Prius in the past.

I thought I made it clear I wasn't judging - just pointing out the alternatives in a teasing way. May I remind you once more of what I said, to quote: Still, for owning a car, you did well. I am not judging. You got utility out of it and that's all that matters.

Originally Posted by Scamp
Alternatively, you could wear charity shop clothes, never go on holiday, travel back to the UK with Fly Dubai via Kiev and live in shared accommodation in Ruwais. Everyone buys things and does things that they might like / enjoy.

You are judging, comparing people to your standards / styles / thoughts.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:19 am
Account Closed

I have owned an Audi A4 and Prius in the past.

I thought I made it clear I wasn't judging - just pointing out the alternatives in a teasing way. May I remind you once more of what I said, to quote: Still, for owning a car, you did well. I am not judging. You got utility out of it and that's all that matters.
A Prius, I should have guessed.

It sounded very judgmental, but I wonder what % of people see their car as a status symbol / aspiration / something to enjoy for themselves etc and therefore are willing for it to be a large cost....or.....those who see it as a totally arbitrary choice and just a method of transport.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

It was my brief period as an eco-conscious London wanker.

Thank god I grew out of it pretty quickly but it did leave me stuck with the worst car ever made for a few years. Never again.

A Prius, I should have guessed.

It sounded very judgmental, but I wonder what % of people see their car as a status symbol / aspiration / something to enjoy for themselves etc and therefore are willing for it to be a large cost....or.....those who see it as a totally arbitrary choice and just a method of transport.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:29 am
Account Closed

It was my brief period as an eco-conscious London wanker.

Thank god I grew out of it pretty quickly but it did leave me stuck with the worst car ever made for a few years. Never again.
Did it make the congestion charge free?

My Granny had a Prius for a few years. Great idea for people like her, five mins to the shops, the odd 30min drive here or there, no tax costs etc.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

ma'an i got effing stung on Wed - had to have all four of my tyres replaced.... apparently the tyres should have been changed at 30,000km.......mine had got to do 54k! Beemer were going to charge me 10k to have them replaced....i went around the corner and got them done for 4,400...still not sure if that was reasonable or whether i got done.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mission
ma'an i got effing stung on Wed - had to have all four of my tyres replaced.... apparently the tyres should have been changed at 30,000km.......mine had got to do 54k! Beemer were going to charge me 10k to have them replaced....i went around the corner and got them done for 4,400...still not sure if that was reasonable or whether i got done.
What make of tyre did you buy?
Do you know how old they are / when they were made?

Seeing as you've got a BMW, 4,400 doesn't seem too bad, assuming they're fairly low profile / on big rims etc.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:59 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Shed used to have a Beemer with run flat tires. Great safety idea but goodness they were expensive to replace.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

That was a bonus.

I mostly used it to drive to my parents on the weekends. I rarely used it within London. On the motorway it's terrible and the acceleration makes the Lancer look like a Ferrari. It was just a stupid car for me to buy for a variety of reasons.

Mind you the resale was fabulous.

Did it make the congestion charge free?

My Granny had a Prius for a few years. Great idea for people like her, five mins to the shops, the odd 30min drive here or there, no tax costs etc.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TheShed
Mrs Shed used to have a Beemer with run flat tires. Great safety idea but goodness they were expensive to replace.
So I've heard. Not sure they're worth it....just hang on and slow down if you have a blow out.

That was a bonus.

I mostly used it to drive to my parents on the weekends. I rarely used it within London. On the motorway it's terrible and the acceleration makes the Lancer look like a Ferrari. It was just a stupid car for me to buy for a variety of reasons.

Mind you the resale was fabulous.
Saw a Tesla on SZR at the weekend, they look sick. Would love to test drive one.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

What make of tyre did you buy?
Do you know how old they are / when they were made?

Seeing as you've got a BMW, 4,400 doesn't seem too bad, assuming they're fairly low profile / on big rims etc.
Originally Posted by TheShed
I brought the car brand new (Sep 2015) and hence had not replaced the tyres since i got the car - the replacements were exactly the same brand of tyre.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.