Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

US Presidential election

US Presidential election

Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:44 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Presidential election

Originally Posted by Meow
It always amuses me that many Americans use the word 'liberal' as an insult. To much of the rest of the world it means being reasonable, open-minded and tolerant.
I wasn't trying to be insulting, just pointing out largely different viewpoints
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:46 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I wasn't trying to be insulting, just pointing out largely different viewpoints
Maybe you weren't, but many do.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:54 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

It always amuses me that many Americans use the word 'liberal' as an insult. To much of the rest of the world it means being reasonable, open-minded and tolerant.
Is your view of 'conservative' un reasonable, close minded and intolerant?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Is your view of 'conservative' un reasonable, close minded and intolerant?
Now you are doing that annoying thing of suggesting that just because I say I hate black, I must love white. Tsk, lazy thinking!

To me 'conservative' in a political sense, is a more old-fashioned viewpoint, preferring the status quo and less open to change and progress.

EDIT> This appears to be a reasonable explanation http://www.arationaladvocate.com/are...servative.html

Last edited by Meow; Aug 30th 2012 at 9:02 am.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:01 am

Now you are doing that annoying thing of suggesting that just because I say I hate black, I must love white. Tsk, lazy thinking!

To me 'conservative' in a political sense, is a more old-fashioned viewpoint, preferring the status quo and less open to change and progress.
We are close on perceptions. Conservative is slow incremental change. Liberals always win in the end. Just not as quickly as they would like.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Percentage of US outlays for defense in 1960 (pre Vietnam) 40%. Now 20% and dropping. Ayn Rand? Jeez I read a Playboy article once... doesn't make me a disciple of Hugh Hefner.
That is such a distortion of what I said. It isn't because he read Rand, rather he voiced sentiments in approval of Rand's ideology.

" EARLY in his Congressional career, Paul D. Ryan, the Wisconsin representative and presumptive Republican vice-presidential nominee, would give out copies of Ayn Rand’s book “Atlas Shrugged” as Christmas presents. He described the novelist of heroic capitalism as “the reason I got into public service.” But what would Rand think of Mr. Ryan? "

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/op...paul-ryan.html
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
That is such a distortion of what I said. It isn't because he read Rand, rather he voiced sentiments in approval of Rand's ideology.

" EARLY in his Congressional career, Paul D. Ryan, the Wisconsin representative and presumptive Republican vice-presidential nominee, would give out copies of Ayn Rand’s book “Atlas Shrugged” as Christmas presents. He described the novelist of heroic capitalism as “the reason I got into public service.” But what would Rand think of Mr. Ryan? "

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/op...paul-ryan.html
I don't believe Ayn Rand would even recognize US politics and budgets of today. I may extrapolate that annual $1,000,000,000,000plus deficits would cause an immediate coronary.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I reckon the USA should look more like Europe.

It's too big to be governed by one of two parties and one of two individuals / view points.

It's impossible to appeal to the extreme one way AND extreme otherway.

How can you form national policies that make California, Colorado, Alabama and Florida all happy?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Scamp
I reckon the USA should look more like Europe.

It's too big to be governed by one of two parties and one of two individuals / view points.

It's impossible to appeal to the extreme one way AND extreme otherway.

How can you form national policies that make California, Colorado, Alabama and Florida all happy?
I agree on lines 2 3 and 4. Line one needs to be decided in a US way since we do not use a Parliamentary system
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I agree on lines 2 3 and 4. Line one needs to be decided in a US way since we do not use a Parliamentary system
If we'd had our way, we'd have been making those tough decisions for you.

Such is.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:43 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe Ayn Rand would even recognize US politics and budgets of today. I may extrapolate that annual $1,000,000,000,000plus deficits would cause an immediate coronary.
Didn't Rand end up relying on state handouts?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I'm way out of my depth - I'd never heard of Ayn Rand until I started reading this thread............. is Ayn a man or a woman?

[*gets coat and makes discreet withdrawal*]

Last edited by The Dean; Aug 30th 2012 at 10:26 am. Reason: .
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:29 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by The Dean
I'm way out of my depth - I'd never heard of Ayn Rand until I started reading this thread............. is Ayn a man or a woman?

A woman. Author of Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.

littlejummy - I thought she ended up being supported by wealthy friends.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

Technically a woman but looks manly.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:42 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

A woman. Author of Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.

littlejummy - I thought she ended up being supported by wealthy friends.
I don't know, to be honest, just going on what someone said in a newspaper comment section.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.