Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UK Petrol hits £1.99 a litre!!

UK Petrol hits £1.99 a litre!!

Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Petrol hits £1.99 a litre!!

Originally Posted by annacarna
and another

My brother and his wife had a son last year born with downs and a major problem with his heart and all was touch and go.

He received the most fantastic care both medically and emotionally and he really couldn't praise the hospital and staff enough.

He and his wife were given a room owned by the hospital in a building next to the hospital which is for the families so they can be near to the patient

How great is that.

My nephew is doing great now and has had no problems!
My dad has Parkinson's - the level of care & support he gets is fantastic... No problems, either, when my mum had angioplasty - fast, efficient, friendly staff. Hospital was modern, clean, had nice grounds....

Mind you, I wouldn't be an NHS junior doctor for love or money.... Nurses don't get paid nearly enough.... There's a lot that could be done to improve things.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
My dad has Parkinson's - the level of care & support he gets is fantastic... No problems, either, when my mum had angioplasty - fast, efficient, friendly staff. Hospital was modern, clean, had nice grounds....

Mind you, I wouldn't be an NHS junior doctor for love or money.... Nurses don't get paid nearly enough.... There's a lot that could be done to improve things.
Oh totally agree my cousin is Head Staff nurse or matron or something of an ICU ward in London and she works really hard and the money is crap!

My son wants to be a doctor. I have told him you gotta really love and want to do it, long hours, shite money. Doesn't seem quite fair does it
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
Oh totally agree my cousin is Head Staff nurse or matron or something of an ICU ward in London and she works really hard and the money is crap!

My son wants to be a doctor. I have told him you gotta really love and want to do it, long hours, shite money. Doesn't seem quite fair does it
Well, if he ends up in private practice he'll be OK. My dad was an NHS dentist for the last few years of his career - it was barely worth his while by the end of it....
Old Jun 19th 2008, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
That's that then, folks. One anecdotal tale means the NHS is utter shite.

with all due respect there is good and bad, and the staff dont get paid enough, i worked for the CEO's office, i dealt with the complaints that came in, the patients who died because of incompetence... please dont start with tales... that paragraph i gave was my grandfather, who thanks to the dr who we had to pay thousands too is still alive and walking at 87 years old.

there is success with the NHS but there is also massive failure which never seems to hit home...

two examples of people i know personally... one caught MRSA had numerous ops into the bone of her leg... months later it could not be save, she had to have it removed. She only just coped with that.... 6 weeks later free of MRSA.... all is good progress going well.... 3 weeks later MRSA back. 51 years old now unable to work.

Why cant they keep our hospitals clean?

next

39 year old woman went in with an abdominal infection... all going well 4 days later.... pain still bad given morphine.... more than five times the amount she died leaving behind teenage children.

Why wasnt this picked up on?

I went in with abdominal pain, after 3 weeks of a morphine drip and no food... no investigations and visits 3 times per week from the dr i went in to organ failure..... a further 5 weeks of treatment and no apology or anything else, they pass the buck!

I can certainly give good stories, i worked in the SCUB ward at the RVI in Newcastle, there were alot of babies left the ward, only due to the levels of care given by the staff.

Maybe if the fricken government werent spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on 'expenses' on top of their wage this shit wouldnt happen!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 4:36 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
Because the government doesn't want to pay what it *really* costs to keep them properly clean. The days when hospitals were cleaned by permanent staff who took some measure of pride in their work are, sadly, over. Nowadays it's all about outsourcing the cleaning work to external companies who bid competitively to offer the lowest price and who end up staffing the job with mostly casual labour who couldn't give a toss.

That's not the NHS's fault, of course.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 4:52 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

why do people seem to think that stuff like MRSA is only a problem in the NHS?

Infections contracted in hospitals are the fourth largest killer in the United States, causing as many deaths as AIDS, breast cancer and auto accidents combined. One out of every twenty hospital patients gets an infection. That's two million Americans a year, and an estimated 103,000 of them die.

http://www.hospitalinfection.org/infectionfacts.shtml
Old Jun 19th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Because the government doesn't want to pay what it *really* costs to keep them properly clean. The days when hospitals were cleaned by permanent staff who took some measure of pride in their work are, sadly, over. Nowadays it's all about outsourcing the cleaning work to external companies who bid competitively to offer the lowest price and who end up staffing the job with mostly casual labour who couldn't give a toss.

That's not the NHS's fault, of course.
agreed, but unfortunately comes under the title of the NHS and it is the NHS who pay out because of incompetent arses who like you say do not take pride in their work and that goes for everyone from cleaners to professors... through out the board. People really dont have a clue how much gets settled out of court and never hits the headlines, its disgusting! Our health service is a mess! God knows what it will take for someone to do something about it?!

For those that do dedicate themselves to their job deserve such a reward... there aint many of them!

Last edited by MrsHaps; Jun 19th 2008 at 5:03 pm. Reason: being too blunt :)
Old Jun 19th 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elfman
why do people seem to think that stuff like MRSA is only a problem in the NHS?

Infections contracted in hospitals are the fourth largest killer in the United States, causing as many deaths as AIDS, breast cancer and auto accidents combined. One out of every twenty hospital patients gets an infection. That's two million Americans a year, and an estimated 103,000 of them die.

http://www.hospitalinfection.org/infectionfacts.shtml
No one said it is only a problem in the NHS i said she caught it again while being in an NHS hospital after being cleared of it...? They still tried to deny it... its a p!ss take! Again passing the buck?!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 5:53 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not being argumentative, but for such a huge operation (pardon the pun), I think it does well. It's not perfect, but for every negative story there are plenty of positive ones, and plenty of evidence that it isn't any better where the alternative is concerned.

I've witnessed private health care in Dubai, and while it was nice to stay in a private room, I did think the treatment was random and often treated as a money-generating exercise. I was given some tablets that reacted with other ones given by a separate doctor and was pretty unwell. Luckily I went to the hospital and one of the doctors realised what had happened. There there's the battles with the insurance companies.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm not being argumentative, but for such a huge operation (pardon the pun), I think it does well. It's not perfect, but for every negative story there are plenty of positive ones, and plenty of evidence that it isn't any better where the alternative is concerned.

I've witnessed private health care in Dubai, and while it was nice to stay in a private room, I did think the treatment was random and often treated as a money-generating exercise. I was given some tablets that reacted with other ones given by a separate doctor and was pretty unwell. Luckily I went to the hospital and one of the doctors realised what had happened. There there's the battles with the insurance companies.
I totally agree with you... i just think for what the government put through as expenses they could invest more, pay the staff for the job they bloody do not what they think they do... they dont have a clue, why, because they can afford the private health care which i am sure will cover everything gordon brown could ever want! Its crap, there are some staff that are a god-send!

fingers and toes crossed i will not have to visit a hospital while i am here! But thanks for the heads up, do you think i should have it tattooed on my head what i am allergic too just in case
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:34 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with you... i just think for what the government put through as expenses they could invest more, pay the staff for the job they bloody do not what they think they do... they dont have a clue, why, because they can afford the private health care which i am sure will cover everything gordon brown could ever want! Its crap, there are some staff that are a god-send!

fingers and toes crossed i will not have to visit a hospital while i am here! But thanks for the heads up, do you think i should have it tattooed on my head what i am allergic too just in case
Don't be afraid to ask them to double check - that counts for the UK too! My home GP service in the UK has a wide range of GPs, from really good to totally crap.

I remember another thing, when I had my big scare with an arrhythmia in Dubai, and they had to knock me out to give me the old paddle zap, and as they were injecting the anaesthetic, I heard the nurse saying, "Was it 5ml or 50ml?" or something like that...
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don't be afraid to ask them to double check - that counts for the UK too! My home GP service in the UK has a wide range of GPs, from really good to totally crap.

I remember another thing, when I had my big scare with an arrhythmia in Dubai, and they had to knock me out to give me the old paddle zap, and as they were injecting the anaesthetic, I heard the nurse saying, "Was it 5ml or 50ml?" or something like that...
Now thats the shit that you need to hear just as you are falling in to deep sleep!!!

So you are a zapper huh... seen a few of them too.... non with complaints as they dont remember it
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:19 pm
Excess Baggage

Now thats the shit that you need to hear just as you are falling in to deep sleep!!!

So you are a zapper huh... seen a few of them too.... non with complaints as they dont remember it
I've had a couple of zaps. Left with a burn on the chest. It's a shame they have to put me asleep. Would love to see it and hear them shout CLEAR. Should get someone to video it if I need it again.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've had a couple of zaps. Left with a burn on the chest. It's a shame they have to put me asleep. Would love to see it and hear them shout CLEAR. Should get someone to video it if I need it again.

yeah now i am going to disagree.... i would not like to see that and certainly wouldnt want to see it on myself!!

Happy rhythm little J
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:42 pm
Excess Baggage

Yeah, but I'm insane.

And thanks. Having an ablation in September. On the NHS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.