British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   UK Petrol hits £1.99 a litre!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/uk-petrol-hits-%C2%A31-99-litre-543359/)

madferrit Jun 16th 2008 10:56 pm

UK Petrol hits £1.99 a litre!!

A Devon petrol station has been charging £1.99 a litre - more than £9 a gallon - as nearly 400 forecourts in the county suffered dwindling supplies!

BBC Link

Time to leave the country me thinks :blink:

Madam Medusa Jun 17th 2008 4:16 am

Re: UK Petrol hits £1.99 a litre!!

bloody hell, that's outrageous...!!

MM, xx

admon Jun 17th 2008 5:22 am

Originally Posted by madferrit (Post 6473021)
A Devon petrol station has been charging £1.99 a litre - more than £9 a gallon - as nearly 400 forecourts in the county suffered dwindling supplies!

Surely not as bad as trying to get aed3M for a 3 bed townhouse at arabian ranches?

twinkle-star Jun 17th 2008 5:47 am

BBC Link

Time to return to the cycle and the horse and cart then!....:D

shiva Jun 17th 2008 6:59 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 6473540)
Surely not as bad as trying to get aed3M for a 3 bed townhouse at arabian ranches?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
or 60million for some lakes pads

NedKelly63 Jun 17th 2008 7:56 am

BBC Link

Well, I hope the residents of Exwick remember this and take their business elsewhere when the supply shortage is over.

The Dean Jun 17th 2008 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by NedKelly63 (Post 6473810)
Well, I hope the residents of Exwick remember this and take their business elsewhere when the supply shortage is over.

Quite.......... and I'm sure they will.

Blue Cat Jun 17th 2008 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 6473682)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
or 60million for some lakes pads

what are selling for 60 mill? the Hattans?

Daz968 Jun 17th 2008 4:29 pm

...petrol....another reason why I shall be happy to leave the UK.

Lozza2302 Jun 17th 2008 5:00 pm

:eek: OMFG so glad we left when we did, that's just crazy!!!!!!!

elfman Jun 17th 2008 5:07 pm

A Devon petrol station has been charging £1.99 a litre

not any more

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/7458425.stm

Eeyore Jun 17th 2008 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Daz968 (Post 6475447)
...petrol....another reason why I shall be happy to leave the UK.

Well, what's more important to you... being able to fill up cheaply, or knowing that if you need medical treatment, nobody's going to check that you can afford to pay for it before a doctor so much as looks at you? Or, if you have kids, that they're entitled to an education without your having to stump up thousands of pounds in fees at the start of each term? Etc.

That's the thing, really... yes, petrol in the UK is painfully expensive, but the tax that makes it painfully expensive means that other aspects of UK life are not as painfully expensive as they are in many other countries.

And let's face it, in not very many years, cheap petrol's going to be a thing of the past everywhere, including the UAE... Britain's just getting people used to the idea early ;)

soukie Jun 17th 2008 7:19 pm

The £1.99 a litre is the price a rip off garage has been charging down in Devon - they are making the most of the recent tanker strike and should be fined for doing this. I'm currently in UK and have just filled up at £1.15 a litre - still expensive though!:curse:

littlejimmy Jun 17th 2008 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 6475825)
Well, what's more important to you... being able to fill up cheaply, or knowing that if you need medical treatment, nobody's going to check that you can afford to pay for it before a doctor so much as looks at you? Or, if you have kids, that they're entitled to an education without your having to stump up thousands of pounds in fees at the start of each term? Etc.

That's the thing, really... yes, petrol in the UK is painfully expensive, but the tax that makes it painfully expensive means that other aspects of UK life are not as painfully expensive as they are in many other countries.

And let's face it, in not very many years, cheap petrol's going to be a thing of the past everywhere, including the UAE... Britain's just getting people used to the idea early ;)

Well said, that man. I think some perspective is required.

madferrit Jun 17th 2008 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 6475825)

I'm not sure I agree with you on this point. Whilst you're right that our taxes do (supposedly) pay for things like Health and Education here in the UK, the NHS is near to incompetant and the falling standards in the schools is forcing many people to consider private education in the UK. So, in effect you pay your taxes for health and education and then pay again in private medical policies and school fees.

I know I'd rather pay less in petrol, and although it will be a requirement to pay for medical and education, at least I know I'm not paying for it twice.