Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UK Petrol hits £1.99 a litre!!

UK Petrol hits £1.99 a litre!!

Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

the bat is a splendid one to beholdthe bat is a splendid one to beholdthe bat is a splendid one to beholdthe bat is a splendid one to beholdthe bat is a splendid one to beholdthe bat is a splendid one to beholdthe bat is a splendid one to beholdthe bat is a splendid one to beholdthe bat is a splendid one to beholdthe bat is a splendid one to beholdthe bat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK Petrol hits £1.99 a litre!!

Originally Posted by soukie
The £1.99 a litre is the price a rip off garage has been charging down in Devon - they are making the most of the recent tanker strike and should be fined for doing this. I'm currently in UK and have just filled up at £1.15 a litre - still expensive though!:curse:
after it was on the new's, they dropped the price down, i bet nobody got a refund.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 11:11 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madferrit
A Devon petrol station has been charging £1.99 a litre - more than £9 a gallon - as nearly 400 forecourts in the county suffered dwindling supplies!

BBC Link

Time to leave the country me thinks
Nothing like a bit of sensationalism eh!

One retailer tries to take advantage of a situation and 'UK Petrol hits £1.99' - I don't think so. This was even in the Aus media - 'UK Petrol hits $4.17 a litre'. Great journalism. OK, I've got some petrol, I'll sell it to you for $10 / litre. 'OMG - Aus Petrol hits $10 a litre!!'.

Time to leave the country? Get a grip.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:25 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I agree with you on this point. Whilst you're right that our taxes do (supposedly) pay for things like Health and Education here in the UK, the NHS is near to incompetant and the falling standards in the schools is forcing many people to consider private education in the UK. So, in effect you pay your taxes for health and education and then pay again in private medical policies and school fees.

I know I'd rather pay less in petrol, and although it will be a requirement to pay for medical and education, at least I know I'm not paying for it twice.
WILD Generalisations there, I'm afraid. I've been a frequent user of the NHS and have never had anything to complain about.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

No way would I live in the UK without private health insurance, so I would end up paying the premium out of income that was already taxed (or, if my employer provided the cover, it would be a taxable benefit). I have heard from a lot of people who have had excellent service from the NHS but sadly I have also heard from too many people who haven't and where my health is concerned I wouldn't take the risk.

I don't have children so the schooling wasn't an issue but certainly in the areas I have lived nobody who could afford not to would send their children to the state schools. Maybe that is just a reflection on the areas I used to live in.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 6:42 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

the NHS is near to incompetant
Really? Ask the millions of people for whom it's a (literal) lifeline every year, and see if they agree with you.

And how about all the incredibly dedicated staff who train for years and still go on to work for the NHS rather than in private medicine because they believe in public healthcare?

Sure, the NHS makes occasional mistakes. So does every other medical system in the world (you don't seriously think that by paying for private healthcare you're immune from medical mistakes, do you?). It doesn't even come close to meaning that as an overall institution, it's "near to incompetent".

And trust me on this, should you ever find yourself in the position of needing critical treatment for a condition that is not covered by a private policy - and unless you're rich, there will be *plenty* that a private policy won't cover - you will be very very grateful that you've always got the option of scuttling back to the NHS to keep you alive.

and the falling standards in the schools is forcing many people to consider private education in the UK
What, falling standards in *all* schools? Every single one of them?

Yes, there are failing schools out there. No, they don't come close to making up the majority. And of course, there are many hundreds of superb state schools that are the equal, if not the superior, of many fee-paying schools.

So, in effect you pay your taxes for health and education and then pay again in private medical policies and school fees
Of course, most people with private medical policies aren't paying for them out of their own pockets. They're on corporate insurance, which the company gets at a discount, partly because there are plenty of expensive-to-treat conditions that are excluded.

If individuals had to pay out of their own pockets for private cover that offered everything the NHS does, they'd probably suffer a coronary on seeing the cost of the premium. Indeed, only the rich could afford it at all.

I know I'd rather pay less in petrol, and although it will be a requirement to pay for medical and education, at least I know I'm not paying for it twice.
Do you realise just how much it would cost you to fully fund private healthcare and education for a family?

Anyone who can afford to do that really doesn't need to worry about the cost of petrol. Seriously.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
No way would I live in the UK without private health insurance, so I would end up paying the premium out of income that was already taxed (or, if my employer provided the cover, it would be a taxable benefit). I have heard from a lot of people who have had excellent service from the NHS but sadly I have also heard from too many people who haven't and where my health is concerned I wouldn't take the risk.
Private health insurance is fine for "bog standard" operations and treatment, but anything major or conditions that are serious and/or rare, then you will end up at an NHS hospital anyway - for which they charge your insurance company.

With the NHS, you may get a "no frills" service but at least the policy is not to debate your treatment with underwriters.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:50 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
With the NHS, you may get a "no frills" service but at least the policy is not to debate your treatment with underwriters.
Indeed. The fact that all medical insurance companies employ people whose job it is to find any reason at all to reject a claim - and who are incentivised appropriately - is, to my mind, absolutely abhorrent.

Those people are the reason why medical bills are the second biggest cause of personal bankruptcy in the USA.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Well, what's more important to you... being able to fill up cheaply, or knowing that if you need medical treatment, nobody's going to check that you can afford to pay for it before a doctor so much as looks at you? Or, if you have kids, that they're entitled to an education without your having to stump up thousands of pounds in fees at the start of each term? Etc.
I agree it is all to do whith what's important to me. I have no kids, I have full medical cover, I like driving, I am not happy at all with the way the UK is being run by a bunch of overpaid lefty liberal sops, I hate the way that I pay a lot of tax for what? (NHS? - I pay for private (my choice I know - but what is the option...however I do support the NHS 100% they do a great job, have a hard job to do with no reward (compare MP pay with a nurse - I go private because I am trying to do my bit in not using the NHS for 'minor ailments'), state of the roads / gridlock - don't get me on that), rubbish - get the bloody criminals to pick it up , I hate the way the country is being overrun by children who have no respect for anything and there is no deterrent, I could go on...

I have vocalised my opinions to my MP - fat lot that does. I am very proud to be British and the UK will always be my home. But I have had enough of being the downtrodden middle aged normal English white male with no disabalities working hard to end up with not a lot left in my pocket.

And yes, there is a deliberate statement in saying proud to be British and being a downtrodden English man.

...and no, I won't be wearing Union Jack swimmers on the beach in Muscat
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:01 am
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by Daz968
I have full medical cover
There will be plenty of critical conditions and expensive treatments that your private insurance won't cover, and should you ever be unlucky enough to find yourself needing them, your expensive private cover won't be worth squat.

That's the point at which you offer up a fervent prayer of thanks for the existence of the NHS and all the taxpayers who fund it

Or, of course, if you come from a country that doesn't provide comprehensive healthcare to all regardless of ability to pay, that's the point at which you die.

state of the roads / gridlock - don't get me on that
If you don't like gridlocked roads and you despise incompetence in traffic policy, for Gawd's sake, don't come to Dubai...

I hate the way the country is being overrun by children who have no respect for anything
That's largely the parents' fault. When you've got a generation of parents raised with the "me, me, me" and "why should I care about anyone else?" attitudes, they're inevitably going to bring up selfish kids.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

I have full medical cover
Full medical cover is still limited by the capability of the private health care provider's facilities. You will find they have limitations - driven by profit margins.

[QUOTE=Eeyore;6477671]There will be plenty of critical conditions and expensive treatments that your private insurance won't cover, and should you ever be unlucky enough to find yourself needing them, your expensive private cover won't be worth squat.

That's the point at which you offer up a fervent prayer of thanks for the existence of the NHS and all the taxpayers who fund it

QUOTE]

Plenty of critical conditions - plus complications that can set in after rountine surgery that private facilites cannot handle.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:32 am

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed. The fact that all medical insurance companies employ people whose job it is to find any reason at all to reject a claim - and who are incentivised appropriately - is, to my mind, absolutely abhorrent.

Those people are the reason why medical bills are the second biggest cause of personal bankruptcy in the USA.

It's actually THE biggest. 50% of bankruptcy claims in the US are attributed to medical costs.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:33 am

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

There will be plenty of critical conditions and expensive treatments that your private insurance won't cover, and should you ever be unlucky enough to find yourself needing them, your expensive private cover won't be worth squat.

Or, of course, if you come from a country that doesn't provide comprehensive healthcare to all regardless of ability to pay, that's the point at which you die.

If you don't like gridlocked roads and you despise incompetence in traffic policy, for Gawd's sake, don't come to Dubai...

That's largely the parents' fault. When you've got a generation of parents raised with the "me, me, me" and "why should I care about anyone else?" attitudes, they're inevitably going to bring up selfish kids.
The government here announced the launch of it's own 'National Health Service' to allow healthcare for all.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all

Agree, but nothing in life is guaranteed - particulary with insurance - I know that. Hence my comment as to my reasons for using private when I can - so I don't use NHS resources for stuff that my insurance does cover

...of which I have been one for the last 30 years...

I won't be... But I am not naive - where there is a concentration of people / cars - there will be problems. It's just annoying that when the majority of my driving charges (petrol and tax) is suppose to be pured into transport (be it public or otherwise) I see no progress.

I completely agree, problem is we are now getting to 3rd generation selfish scroungers who really know no different. If you speak to the parents about their kids trashing the community (which I have every day where I live) - all you get is abuse from the parents - if your lucky. If you're unlucky the whole family will turn on you and you will end up in hospital relying on the under- resourced NHS.

It's all crazy and that is why the petrol cr@p is just another reason (not the only) why I am glad to be leaving.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:02 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, but nothing in life is guaranteed - particulary with insurance - I know that. Hence my comment as to my reasons for using private when I can - so I don't use NHS resources for stuff that my insurance does cover

...of which I have been one for the last 30 years...

I won't be... But I am not naive - where there is a concentration of people / cars - there will be problems. It's just annoying that when the majority of my driving charges (petrol and tax) is suppose to be pured into transport (be it public or otherwise) I see no progress.

I completely agree, problem is we are now getting to 3rd generation selfish scroungers who really know no different. If you speak to the parents about their kids trashing the community (which I have every day where I live) - all you get is abuse from the parents - if your lucky. If you're unlucky the whole family will turn on you and you will end up in hospital relying on the under- resourced NHS.

It's all crazy and that is why the petrol cr@p is just another reason (not the only) why I am glad to be leaving.
The grass is always greener on the other side...
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
The grass is always greener on the other side...
...there ain't no grass left in this paddock and the farmer hasn't got a clue how to succesfully culivate the land.

Maybe when he has learnt how to tend the land and care for his hard working farm workers, I might return...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.