Scotland

Old Jun 29th 2014, 6:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Scotland

Originally Posted by Pongo
Golf Courses in Scotland | Golf Courses | Today's Golfer

And don't discount St Andrews out of hand, plenty of hackers play on the 6 courses there and you can savour the atmosphere. Likewise staying in Dundee or Fife, there are lots of excellent courses and plenty to do....you could always get the train to Edinburgh/Glasgow for the day.
Thank you very much
Old Jun 29th 2014, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. I'm in Fife at the moment, it's a balmy 15C so bring your long trousers.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 8:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Pongo
You're welcome. I'm in Fife at the moment, it's a balmy 15C so bring your long trousers.
I own no golf trousers or suitable jumper/jackets for playing.

I will be applying the mad dogs and Englishmen rule. Even the Scots should respect that.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mikewot
Don't stay in Prestwick, there are no good hotels. In Troon I recommend The Piersland Not The Marine (very hit & miss on rooms, some are tiny) or The LochGreen (very expensive and the restaurant only does 7 course meals, except breakfast which is great). I also recommend Highgrove which is run by Costley & Costley, same guy runs LochGreen. It has fantastic views if you get a room overlooking the bay, the food is absolutely amazing and draught Peroni :-)
If you stay in Ayr I can recommend without qualification The Western Racecourse hotel, superb especially if you have a room in the main hotel and not the annexes outside. Food is incredible, staff are lovely. Alternatively down at the seafront try Faifield House hotel, can be a bit hit & miss on some rooms but generally OK.
For eating in Ayr try The Beresford (another Costley Costley but his son runs it), really great food. If you like curry The Ruppee Room does the most ENORMOUS portions and naan breads. For just a pub with great food The Treehouse. In Troon for fish there is only one place MacCallums oyster bar at the end of the harbour (book early!) or just fish & chips The Wee Hurrie is attached.

Anything you want to know about Prestwick/Ayr/Troon just ask as I was up there on business for 4 1/2 years, so there is no hotel or eatery I've not been in.
The Marine is the only place with availability left...so will probably go with that or a B&B in Ayr.

Been suggested that Ayr is better than Prestwick / Troon?

Aside from a round of golf (or two if I can convince her) what else is suggested to do in these three places? I'm not going to be too fussy about Robert Burns museum etc...sorry
Old Jun 29th 2014, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Oliver Cromwell built a rather nice Citadel in Ayr during the "Wars of the Three Kingdoms".

http://www.scotwars.com/Ayr_citadel.htm

Last edited by scot47; Jun 29th 2014 at 9:18 am.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 9:23 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
The Marine is the only place with availability left...so will probably go with that or a B&B in Ayr.
Hope you get a decent room, sometimes they're so small you can touch both walls with your arms outstretched.
Been suggested that Ayr is better than Prestwick / Troon?
Anywhere is better than Kilmarnock, Troon is better than Ayr. Ayr is better than Prestwick.

what else is suggested to do in these three places? I'm not going to be too fussy about Robert Burns museum etc...sorry
You're not going to visit Scotlands most famous jews house? Rabbi Burns.
Largs is nice for a wander around, world famous ice cream place.
You could go to Arran for the day on the ferry that runs from Ardrossan.
Take the road South out of Ayr, visit Dunure it's a small harbour village. You'll encounter the Electric Brae, quite a weird effect. Go through to Turnberry, another expensive golf course and massively expensive hotel! Carry on down to Girvan to see the lump of rock sticking out of the sea, or head inland to Straiton for a cup of tea (my mate's wife runs the tearoom) and the hills.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

The Park Hotel in Kilmarnock is a great hotel and handy for golfing locations in Troon/Prestwick.

Ayr is bigger than Prestwick, but probably has fewer nice bars and restaurants etc.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Yes Yes Yes to Arran.

One of my favourite places in the whole world.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll feel at home in Arran - It is full of English settlers !
Old Jun 29th 2014, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

whats up wae ya ....dont forget the best part o Gods country......The borders and dumfries and galloway.It has it all from the scenery tae the golf links and fishing and no forgetting the wee cruise frae cairnryan tae Ulster.An area that is full o history and the friendliest folk.
jimmy
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:16 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
whats up wae ya ....dont forget the best part o Gods country......The borders and dumfries and galloway.It has it all from the scenery tae the golf links and fishing and no forgetting the wee cruise frae cairnryan tae Ulster.An area that is full o history and the friendliest folk.
jimmy
Shhh, dont ****ing tell them, we'll have even more white settlers.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:20 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flood2
Ayr is bigger than Prestwick, but probably has fewer nice bars and restaurants etc.
Prestwick has The Dome and Elliots plus The Taj for curry and that's about it. Far greater choice in Ayr.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:24 am
Account Closed

Some people say Ayr. Some say Prestwick.

We're going to Prestwick I think. Parkstone Hotel - any thoughts / comments?

Availability is pretty limited from what I'm finding.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:45 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

any thoughts / comments?
out of all of the majesty of gods own land why the **** are you going to prstwick?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiva
out of all of the majesty of gods own land why the **** are you going to prstwick?
Because I know no better.
I want to play golf there.
My Dad suggested one of those three places.
I want to be on the coast.
Nobody can seem to really agree on what's best.
I don't want to go further North.
I don't want to go East.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.