Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Saudi preacher gets light sentence for killing daughter

Saudi preacher gets light sentence for killing daughter

Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi preacher gets light sentence for killing daughter

The religion that really hacks me off is Celebrity-worship. Now prevalent in the decadent West.

I'll stick with Mithras.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:57 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
The religion that really hacks me off is Celebrity-worship. Now prevalent in the decadent West.

I'll stick with Mithras.
Hardly just the decadent West - what about Bollywood, Canto-pop, K-pop etc etc etc????
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

siddiqui is an unknown quantity at this point

Most Saudis and most Muslims are, I am sure, as horrified as we are. The reality is that in KSA you cannot just say what you think !

My contacts tell me the story was not widely reported in the Arabic language media.
Yes no one talks about even if they would they would assume as if its unheard trying to hide their faces.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shiva
no not state religion, just religion full stop. Given the prevalence across nations, geography and time I'd say there is a pretty compelling case against all religions.
http://www.pidjin.net/2013/02/05/objectified/
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:12 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I blame China.
Why?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:25 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Some weird stuff in the bible about this.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...21&version=NIV
But the bible, and especially the laws that are not part of the so called ten commandments form no basis for legal systems. Even the most Orthodox Jew who follows odd laws from the Law of Moses wouldn't do this in the 20th Century.

Sharia Law (however interpreted) forms the basis of law in Saudi and most Islamic states, governing everything sexual relations to financial dealings, inheritance and divorce. Whilst the Koran clearly doesn't allow people to take laws into their own hands the fact is many of people who die because of so called 'honour killings' would be punished in some way by a Sharia court anyway...and most of the time the scum who commit these crimes are quietly protected by their peers and legal system.

N.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:28 pm

no not state religion, just religion full stop. Given the prevalence across nations, geography and time I'd say there is a pretty compelling case against all religions.
Especially religions that teach their way is the only way and that none of their teachings may be changed or updated. Even more so when said religions are part of a state and wield power.

Those religions cause the most problems in the world.

N.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:56 pm

I'll stick with Mithras.
Those Celebrity Worshipping suicide bombers are a huge problem. And the Celebrity Worshippers going around telling people in British towns to cover up and not drink in 'Celebrity Worshipping areas' really worry me.

N.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Those Celebrity Worshipping suicide bombers are a huge problem. And the Celebrity Worshippers going around telling people in British towns to cover up and not drink in 'Celebrity Worshipping areas' really worry me.

N.
Actually, the cult of celebrity is along the lines of Mr Saville, so is quite relevant to the Op's discussion. This is why fathers everywhere have considered ripping down the posters in their daughters bedrooms (myself included)
Old Feb 5th 2013, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
But the bible, and especially the laws that are not part of the so called ten commandments form no basis for legal systems. Even the most Orthodox Jew who follows odd laws from the Law of Moses wouldn't do this in the 20th Century.

Sharia Law (however interpreted) forms the basis of law in Saudi and most Islamic states, governing everything sexual relations to financial dealings, inheritance and divorce. Whilst the Koran clearly doesn't allow people to take laws into their own hands the fact is many of people who die because of so called 'honour killings' would be punished in some way by a Sharia court anyway...and most of the time the scum who commit these crimes are quietly protected by their peers and legal system.

N.
You can't be more wrong. The state of Israel was founded upon the teaching of the Bible. Hundreds of thousands of people were displaced, wars were fought, and all of that was a direct result of implementing this Biblical law, and, yes ... it was all done in the 20th Century
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:25 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by redShark
You can't be more wrong. The state of Israel was founded upon the teaching of the Bible. Hundreds of thousands of people were displaced, wars were fought, and all of that was a direct result of implementing this Biblical law, and, yes ... it was all done in the 20th Century
In fact he was referring to the rape and murder of the little girl and subsequent acquittal of the perpetrator, being highly unlikely outcome amongst most Orthodox Jews. This generic and inaccurate waffle on the origin of state if Israel is pointless in this context.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:44 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redShark
Similar happened in Milton Keynes, but the bible wasn't responsible (and I'm not religious)

Last edited by NorthernLad; Feb 5th 2013 at 8:51 pm. Reason: Pedantic school teacher
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Israel was founded in Milton Keynes ? Now that IS revisonism. Even Jabotinsky would be shocked !
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Blaming religions for the ills in the world is a kin to blaming the sun for the problem of skin cancers. the sun is not to blame, it is rather the fools that abuse the sun shine
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I find the 'eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth' an antiquated and barbaric idea. This thread is interesting, as it shows alot of the posters who share a very worrisome similarity to the most brutal aspects of a barbaric ideology currently trying to expand it's influence on a global scale. Would any of them attend one of the decapitations performed in public in KSA or Iran if they could? I'd rather not have that in Europe, if anything, the justice system and view of crime and punishment is truly one of the things which makes me proud to be associated with European culture and civilization. Punishment, including death, does not rid the world of crime..nor does a soft approach to punishment and eventual reintegration back into society create more crime. Countries with low crime rates tend to be generally equal societies, which perhaps explains why Britain has so much of it compared to other northern european countries.
I think that this thread shows just how divided people are on such issues. What we all have to remember is that all societies are different. The key is tolerance. Its when one society tries to impose its ideals on another society that problems occur. We should also remember that it is not that many generations ago that people were being executed in the UK for relatively modest offences

As a poster stated above, almost everyone including all Saudi people would be repulsed by what this father allegedly did to his daughter. That is not the issue in contention. The issue we are debating is the justice that he should receive and its quite clear that society is heavily divided on this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.