Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The quality of new posters

The quality of new posters

Old May 2nd 2012, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The quality of new posters

Originally Posted by Meow
I'd like to think that most of us do just that, but we still have a lack of tolerance for total idiocy. And in my particular case no tolerance whatsoever for an idiot who thought it was acceptable to hurl abuse at me purely because I'd corrected his geographical errors. To be fair, I started this thread to have a moan about that as it pissed me off.

If you have found this forum, then you can surely find some other really basic information? This site has tons of info, so just reading a few threads before posting helps. Even entering Dubai/UAE/etc into google turns up heaps of useful info and then you can ask about specifics. And usually get good, honest answers.
"....and then you can ask about specifics. And usually get good, honest answers....".

This is true - I once asked Meow if she wanted to have sex with me - and she gave me a good honest answer..........
Old May 2nd 2012, 10:39 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I think you paint two pictures when there are probably more.

The latter is what you say you are, fine.

The former is;

1. have been around for 12 - 18 months
2.came out when the place was falling apart in the vain hope that the streets were still paved with gold
3.studio apartment in Disco Gardens and 5 year old Pajero is still way better than the shit existence they left behind in the UK...
4. making on we love it in Dubai and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else,

I think those four points that make the 'former' in your opinion are pretty brash.

1. I came here a year ago
2. The place has been falling apart since 2008. I never assumed there were streets of gold.
3. The apartment and car I have are not as you describe but certainly not a villa on the palm and 3 ferraris. My existence in the UK was not shit, my job was, on relflection, a bit better than the one I do here. I just earn a lot more here comparatively.
4. I don't want to live in Dubai forever, I want to move on like you to Asia in the future, but not yet.

People aren't easily cast into the two groups you describe, yes I tick a couple of the boxes (can't change when I moved here or that I have a 1bed apt and an Explorer) but not everyone comes here running away from a shit life in the UK thinking Dubai is the be all, end all and place for them for life.

But hey, that's my opinion and not me being an argumentative tosser (like normal). Just think it's not particularly fair to generalise to that extent.
It's funny, Scamp...

I didn't write the first part of the post with anyone in mind, but as I remembered the last time this subject was broached, I did remember it was you who took umbrage at the generalisations I had made and took them as a personal attack...

I am glad to see that you didn't let me down this time......
Old May 2nd 2012, 10:51 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
It's funny, Scamp...

I didn't write the first part of the post with anyone in mind, but as I remembered the last time this subject was broached, I did remember it was you who took umbrage at the generalisations I had made and took them as a personal attack...

What is the point of your generalisation though? Are you saying that some expats are better than others due to the circumstance in which they arrived (and how they feel about their situation here)?
Old May 2nd 2012, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

and just to play devils advocate, presumably people that moved out here in the olden days were moving here for exactly the same reasons people move here now, better opportunities, better lifestyle, fed up with the shit they have at home or wherever it is you've come from. I don't think anyone moves here thinking I want to be a smug twat and they just want to come to a city that is a good move for the time being. How many people that have been here long term started by saying just three years, just another two, and another two and actually i quite like it now maybe a bit longer...

To me there seems to be a real attitude to anyone who hasn't been here forever, like walking into a country pub waving a flag saying I wasn't born in this village and the locals watching to see them falter then attacking like pack animals and burying them in the nearest ditch, obviously if you have moved here more recently then you must be a blithering idiot to come here since Dubai has crashed. We were here in the good old days so we must be a million times better than you young things and yes perhaps they do know more and some people move here with ludicrous ideas that they may actually make a better life for themselves here- is that really so wrong- isn't that the reason that everyone has moved here in the first place no matter when they came here? I moved here in 2009 and paid far less in rent then those here beforehand, the traffic is far less, business for me is good, recession back home, tax free living here- whats so wrong with that?

Last edited by kittycat1; May 2nd 2012 at 11:03 am.
Old May 2nd 2012, 11:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It's funny, Scamp...

You've misunderstood, I used myself as example rather than took it personally.

I'm the 'kind' of person you are attempting to describe, but I don't believe that's a brush you can paint everyone with.
Old May 2nd 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Arrive , make some money , improve your life then move on...The end !

That's all there is to it
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by kittycat1
and just to play devils advocate, presumably people that moved out here fed up with the shit they have at home QUOTE]
Stockpile
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Put t'Hovis back in 't'bag, lad...

Its not a pop at you.

Its a pop at the ones that have been around for 12 - 18 months.

The ones who came out when the place was falling apart in the vain hope that the streets were still paved with gold, that the advice they received from the dearly departed ex-posters on the Bored was just the 'older generation' trying to keep it all for themselves and the ones who are still there, trying to persuade themsleves that their studio apartment in Disco Gardens and 5 year old Pajero is still way better than the shit existence they left behind in the UK...

Ok, so some people made a decision to live in Dubai.

The problem with that is, it is very hard to admit you ****ed up...

I, along with many other posters on here, was moved through work to Dubai and, for my part, onwards to Bangkok. Did I have a choice? To a degree, if you can count Baku, Alaska or Bangkok as a choice, most recently. The last choice was Port Harcourt, Cairo or Dubai... The defence rests...

Do we therefore necessarily hide behind our decisions in a cloud of self denial, making on we love it in Dubai and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else, or do we make the most of a situation, be fair to our fellow man, assist when required and await the day when you can pack your shit and move on to another intriguing part of the world....

I, I am glad to say, am of the latter.
You really need to play some epic music behind that last paragraph to fully appreciate it. I can just see Daniel Beddingfield reading it aloud in front of the mirror - doing the double fist clench as he fights back tears

Old May 2nd 2012, 12:13 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Ronnie Biggs;10037163]

Stockpile
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:33 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy

agree. And get a featherbed package
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:38 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Life was so much easier when we just Looted, Raped and Pillaged
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
agree. And get a featherbed package
Never paid for rent , transport , petrol , flights , medical treatment or sex...
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:45 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Never paid for rent , transport , petrol , flights , medical treatment or sex...
How do you get that included in your package?
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Life was so much easier when we just Looted, Raped and Pillaged
There's an FHM survey on that.............
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by britexpat76
How do you get that included in your package?
I was F&B manager at The York Hotel for 15 years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.