Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Norway shootings thread

Norway shootings thread

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Norway shootings thread

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I'm still surprised that some media outlets are not labelling him a terrorist. In any case, stories are circulating about muslims/arabs being chased in Norway following the attack prior to the gunman being identified as a white man.

In other news, the collective known as Anonymous have decided to take on Anders Breivik, flood the internet with fake copies of his manifesto to muddle his message. I find this one of their better moves. As if some social conscience of the internet.

http://www.themarknews.com/articles/...ik-into-a-joke
I think that is a very bad decision by Anon. Now people will be confused about the facts of the case . I am against anyone intentionally confusing and obfuscating facts.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
I guess it was only a matter of time before an Israeli made what happened in Norway to be about the Jews and the Palestinians...

http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Columni...aspx?id=231838
American Jewish right wing commentator said that the killing of the youth was Karma for their "Jew Hatred". Schlussel is a popular conservative radio host , not as popular as Rush Limbaugh but along the same lines.

Sympathizing with the Palestinians = Jew Hatred. By this logic sympathising with holocaust victims = hatred of Germanics.
http://www.debbieschlussel.com/40417...as-jew-hatred/
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:08 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
The group which claimed responsibility, I had a look for in the immediate aftermath and found very little info on them..But these things occur regularly don't they?

As for flooding the internet with fake copies of his manifesto, the purpose is to attempt to drown his original out. Whether it will work or not, I am not sure. But judging by the activity on certain imageboards, I would expect there are plenty of contributors. However, a copy is linked to the wiki page so it would be a matter of removing that, as well as others. It did seem there was a pretty committed attempt by all sorts of websites to remove as much info on him as possible. His twitter account has been hacked and the tweet has been removed amongst other things.
they were also saying that they would hack any site which hosts a copy and change parts of the document before leaving it there. of course there will always be real copies out there, but they will become increasingly difficult to find amongst all the 'fixed' ones..

it's not a bad tactic to be honest and considering how dedicated these chaps have shown themselves to be in the past it may actually work...
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:13 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
American Jewish right wing commentator said that the killing of the youth was Karma for their "Jew Hatred". Schlussel is a popular conservative radio host , not as popular as Rush Limbaugh but along the same lines.

Sympathizing with the Palestinians = Jew Hatred. By this logic sympathising with holocaust victims = hatred of Germanics.
http://www.debbieschlussel.com/40417...as-jew-hatred/
well i guess if you have no original thoughts all you have to do is appeal to people's ignorance. and as we know there is a lot of ignorance in the states..

although i must admit that muslims use a similar logic when it comes to jews, ie if you even speak to jews you are a supporter of their cause and therefore a hater of muslims. this type of logic is simplistic, flawed and stupid if you ask me, but nonetheless used extensively..
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:50 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
Sharing views is not just guilt by association. It's not a transparent superficial likeness, like Hitler's vegetarianism, or Saddam's fondness for cigars. You share and defend views that separate the EDL etc from other people.
Do you actually have anything to say on my specific views aside from that they may or may not be shared by groups I am not a member of nor in most cases know enough about to condone or condemn?

I ask as it would be nice to go past the "Norm's supporting the EDL, BNP, National Front" argument because he said something they said. This is like associating a billion Muslims with Islamic terrorists because they happen to share some common views...or saying all people who are against abortion are supporters of killing abortion doctors.

So by all means challenge my views but please stop linking me to groups I am not a member of and don't want to join. Thank you.

Everywhere around the world, people are waking up to an informal, decentralised trend of terrorists who want to take us back. Who espouse a frightening end-of-days ideology of hatred. They rely on scaring people to draw out terrorists like Breivik who will do their dirty work for them. They share a lot with Alqaida.
I think Breivik's actions very much put him in line with violent Islamist groups, as well as the leftist terrorists we saw a lot of in the 60s and 70s...there's a twisted irony that he acted just like the people he claimed to oppose.

All you do is repeat the same old myths and tired cliches about muslim birthrates and loss of European culture. I think European culture is more deep-rooted and vibrant and healthier than the recent islamic culture, and it will survive. You prefer to support the extremists and parrot their ideas, while denying any connection to them.
I have stated the statistics on birthrates in Europe only work if things remain constant, which no one really knows if they will or not. If you want to call that repetition of myth and yet another accusation that I support extremism that's your prerogative.

As a member of no groups or movements (well, I was in CAMRA for a while which makes me rather dangerous to the lager industry) I really am getting tired of being linked to people who have hijacked political debate and more tired of the people who try to silence any debate on issues of immigration, Islam and multi-culturalism with accusations of extremism...like you.

N.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:08 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

well i guess if you have no original thoughts all you have to do is appeal to people's ignorance. and as we know there is a lot of ignorance in the states..

although i must admit that muslims use a similar logic when it comes to jews, ie if you even speak to jews you are a supporter of their cause and therefore a hater of muslims. this type of logic is simplistic, flawed and stupid if you ask me, but nonetheless used extensively..
Ignorance is everywhere, that's why the world is always in a mess.

Great point about being pro-Israel means obviously hating Arabs/Muslims. We can go further and say people who don't like the Islamic religion hate all Muslims too, and people who are against abortion are for murdering abortion doctors.

Thinking is difficult for most people. Black and white views and solutions are easier...but not always the best way.

N.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

they were also saying that they would hack any site which hosts a copy and change parts of the document before leaving it there. of course there will always be real copies out there, but they will become increasingly difficult to find amongst all the 'fixed' ones..

it's not a bad tactic to be honest and considering how dedicated these chaps have shown themselves to be in the past it may actually work...
I always found the most effective way to deal with extremist views is to ridicule them. I hope my theory is proved true in this case. Take away any legitimacy this guy has managed to accrue in various circles. Just blocking him and keeping him silent won't make his ideas dissipate. Humour is after all, our most serious means of communication.

I'm quite shocked by his demands as well..wanting to have a central role in some sort of pan-european council..??!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Do you actually have anything to say on my specific views aside from that they may or may not be shared by groups I am not a member of nor in most cases know enough about to condone or condemn?
I thought I did. Reactionary, juvenile, discriminatory and they have more than a whiff of 60's style colonialism. You not only share those views, you act like it's normal and in fact good to hold and spread these views. By the way, acting like you haven't heard of the BNP, Northern League and National Front is disingenious, and it doesn't work. Shame you can't bring yourself to condemn them though, is it because you share their ideology and then you'd have no fig leaf to hide behind?

I ask as it would be nice to go past the "Norm's supporting the EDL, BNP, National Front" argument because he said something they said. This is like associating a billion Muslims with Islamic terrorists because they happen to share some common views...
In this case it's not a case of you 'happen to share some common views' You happen to share their core beliefs, their defining views, as expressed in their manifesto. This differentiates them from real politicians. Big difference. Not 'he has said', but still supports and stands by. Big difference. Whether you avoid this point once or a dozen times, it still stands.

I think Breivik's actions very much put him in line with violent Islamist groups...
Like I said earlier, two sides of the same dirty worthless coin.

I have stated the statistics on birthrates in Europe only work if things remain constant, which no one really knows if they will or not.
Worthless scumbags like Oswald Moseley (another figure you're not too familiar with, right?) were saying things like this decades ago. Their inflammatory racist rants have been discredited - if there was any validity to them we'd have been speaking Wolof or Swahili all across Europe since the eighties. The disingenious caveat 'ceteris paribus' is a deliberate trick, a get-out clause. The racist misinformation about birthrates is a deliberate attempt to press the Daily Mail button. It's on a par with saying Kian Egan and Jodi Albert are well on the way to have seven more kids in the next fourteen years.

I really am getting tired of being linked to people who have hijacked political debate and more tired of the people who try to silence any debate on issues of immigration, Islam and multi-culturalism with accusations of extremism...like you.
Tired of being linked to extremist groups? Stop spreading their lies and hysterical fearmongering crap. Otherwise, just come out of the closet and join the BNP. Look them up, there must be a branch local to you, they're quite well-known. The way to debate these issues is not by blaming the weakest and least empowered sections of society, or by repeating and agreeing with what extremists say. And it's not by whining about being 'silenced'. You've been repeating the same old cliched misinformation and dodging issues quite happily for a week now. Call that being silenced?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 5:20 am

I thought I did. Reactionary, juvenile, discriminatory and they have more than a whiff of 60's style colonialism. You not only share those views, you act like it's normal and in fact good to hold and spread these views. By the way, acting like you haven't heard of the BNP, Northern League and National Front is disingenious, and it doesn't work. Shame you can't bring yourself to condemn them though, is it because you share their ideology and then you'd have no fig leaf to hide behind?
So essentially you do not like my views, look down upon then and therefore look down upon me and do your absolute best to try to discredit me by incessantly bringing up the fact that other people share my views – of which some are highly questionable people in terms of their actions, associations and motivations.

You’re claiming I haven’t condemned the groups you mentioned so am therefore in league with them or should sign up with them. You’re claiming that any such views are not politically legitimate in any case. For anyone who wishes to talk about the problems in Europe pertaining to continued immigration, cultural and social cohesion, Islam in Europe etc must be in league with racists like the National Front, aging thugs in sheeps clothing like the BNP or working class hooliganesque groups like the EDL (Sorry I don’t know who the Northern League are to be honest).

John F. Kennedy said “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable” didn’t he? (perhaps he was in the EDL too) I’d like to know if you feel there is any legitimate and peaceful political means for people to air their views (even the views we disagree with) on the subjects groups like the EDL and BNP base their existence upon (like blogs, internet forums, peaceful rallies, debates etc) or do you think these views are simply off the radar and beyond the pale and anyone who holds them to any degree is a “Reactionary, juvenile, discriminatory 1960s colonialist type?”.
In this case it's not a case of you 'happen to share some common views' You happen to share their core beliefs, their defining views, as expressed in their manifesto. This differentiates them from real politicians. Big difference. Not 'he has said', but still supports and stands by. Big difference. Whether you avoid this point once or a dozen times, it still stands.
Basically if one insults Islam (which isn’t that hard to do it seems), states Europe has an immigration problem, that native European culture and values are under threat they are automatically illigitimate. Cameron, Sarkozy and Merkel are all on record stating multiculturalism is a failure…they must be the flip side to the “dirty, worthless coin” I expect? I won't even start with Geert Wilders!
Worthless scumbags like Oswald Moseley (another figure you're not too familiar with, right?) were saying things like this decades ago. Their inflammatory racist rants have been discredited - if there was any validity to them we'd have been speaking Wolof or Swahili all across Europe since the eighties. The disingenious caveat 'ceteris paribus' is a deliberate trick, a get-out clause. The racist misinformation about birthrates is a deliberate attempt to press the Daily Mail button. It's on a par with saying Kian Egan and Jodi Albert are well on the way to have seven more kids in the next fourteen years.
Mosely tried to stop people like my father from living in the UK on account of his not entirely white ancestry despite their being a blood link to the UK and being born a British Citizen.
Do you have any idea how insulting to me and my family it is to see your constant linking of me to the National Front because you don’t like my political views or my unbridled and direct criticisms of failed doctrines like multi-culturalism, political correctness or the rise of Islamic extremism in Europe?
Tired of being linked to extremist groups? Stop spreading their lies and hysterical fearmongering crap. Otherwise, just come out of the closet and join the BNP. Look them up, there must be a branch local to you, they're quite well-known. The way to debate these issues is not by blaming the weakest and least empowered sections of society, or by repeating and agreeing with what extremists say. And it's not by whining about being 'silenced'. You've been repeating the same old cliched misinformation and dodging issues quite happily for a week now. Call that being silenced?
So what is the way to debate these issues because it still seems you’re all about silencing debate by suggestig that views like mine are simply in line with the BNP/National Front and are therefore illegitimate (which in plain talk means should be silenced)?

You’ve done little more than repeatedly accuse a mixed race person in a mixed race/mixed cultural relationship with mixed race children of supporting the BNP. You’ve offered nothing but condescending derision to a person you do not know because some of the things they say are in line with some of the things other people you don’t like say.

We don’t generally accuse some members of the Labour party of being Stalinsts because they hold some of the views of the left…but we do this when ordinary, peaceful people hold views of the right…you’ve been doing it to me for weeks.

So I’ll ask you once more – and I hope you can reply without mentioning groups like the BNP and National Front by whom people like me were targeted by simply by merit of how much sunlight our ancestors had – what is the right way to debate these issues?

N.