Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I'm new to this so ....Hi!

I'm new to this so ....Hi!

Old Aug 14th 2011, 11:26 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm new to this so ....Hi!

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Exactly.

Why should Sharjah be praised because it's more 'ordinary' in the eyes of some people? It's an utterly unremarkable place where the disadvantages outweigh the advantages for many people. It doesn't have the historic or architecture charms of older cities elsewhere popular with expat English teachers and hipster journalists looking for the ethnic experience, nor does it have the jobs and salaries to compensate for living in a shithole (assuming Dubai wasn't next door).
as a young person with little expectation why discount it? get a few years Middle East experience and transfer to a more cosmopolitan venue I have a friend who has been a teacher in Sharjah for years, they have a more than active social life at the Wanderer's etc and at the end of the day it's what you make it.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

True.

But if you want to make the leap to becoming an expat and leaving behind a place like Edinburgh for another city overseas, you'd better make sure that the new place offers something that Edinburgh doesn't. Other than the hot weather, I can't see any virtue to living in Sharjah over Edinburgh. If she wants overseas experiences there's loads more interesting cities all over the world.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
as a young person with little expectation why discount it? get a few years Middle East experience and transfer to a more cosmopolitan venue I have a friend who has been a teacher in Sharjah for years, they have a more than active social life at the Wanderer's etc and at the end of the day it's what you make it.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sharjah = Hole

im my meager opinion
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:00 am
Just Joined

bingoed01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone , I have worked & studies in North America I know not anything like the middle east but at least i know I can survive away from home . ME , it's a place i've wanted to visit but never been too. Recently registered with an agency for overseas teaching and this is the first one I got offered and went on to succeed through the interview stages etc.
Few issues I still have ,
1/ It's not an english school .It is english taught school BUT the guidance document from them etc looks all ok and job description mission statements are all ok.
2/ Not seen the accommodation BUT again what the school describe it as seems reasonable.
3/ Not sure I can survive on money I have been offered BUT I'm checking this further.
4/ The biggest concern it is a 2 year contract and the get out clauses (should I need to ) look a bit dubious around what you need to pay back.Checking this further now with the school.
Ok off to phone them again
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

as a young person with little expectation why discount it? get a few years Middle East experience and transfer to a more cosmopolitan venue
nail on the head, I only questioned Scamp in the first place because he's not been here long but dismissed it out of hand. Then he starts a thread admitting he hasn't got a visa and where can he buy a sofa.

Agfain just speaking for myself I found the work in Sharjah better because the people were more genuine and friendly.

Seems the north south divide even extends to the UAE, ignore the southern softies pet
Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:29 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingoed01
Thanks everyone , I have worked & studies in North America I know not anything like the middle east but at least i know I can survive away from home . ME , it's a place i've wanted to visit but never been too. Recently registered with an agency for overseas teaching and this is the first one I got offered and went on to succeed through the interview stages etc.
Few issues I still have ,
1/ It's not an english school .It is english taught school BUT the guidance document from them etc looks all ok and job description mission statements are all ok.
2/ Not seen the accommodation BUT again what the school describe it as seems reasonable.
3/ Not sure I can survive on money I have been offered BUT I'm checking this further.
4/ The biggest concern it is a 2 year contract and the get out clauses (should I need to ) look a bit dubious around what you need to pay back.Checking this further now with the school.
Ok off to phone them again
don't bother, target English Schools, don't be scared to tell us names and salaries etc, we will tell you the truth.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:30 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Sandboy
nail on the head, I only questioned Scamp in the first place because he's not been here long but dismissed it out of hand. Then he starts a thread admitting he hasn't got a visa and where can he buy a sofa.

Agfain just speaking for myself I found the work in Sharjah better because the people were more genuine and friendly.

Seems the north south divide even extends to the UAE, ignore the southern softies pet

have to agree
Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:09 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.

Why should Sharjah be praised because it's more 'ordinary' in the eyes of some people? It's an utterly unremarkable place where the disadvantages outweigh the advantages for many people. It doesn't have the history or architectural charms of older cities elsewhere popular with expat English teachers and hipster journalists looking for the ethnic experience, nor does it have enough jobs and high salaries to compensate for living in a shithole (assuming Dubai wasn't next door).
I don't do it much but I'm going with Ethos here, Sharjah is a horrific place. I'd happily never go back there for any reason, a total and utter dump.

'Same as other gulf cities', hmmm, so they are all shite?

Dubai is legoland with all the western bits, that's why so many of us live there. I'm all for travelling and going to 'proper' middle eastern places which are better than Dubai, but Sharjah is still Sharjah, a dump.

It reminds me of pennywell.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:31 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I don't do it much but I'm going with Ethos here, Sharjah is a horrific place. I'd happily never go back there for any reason, a total and utter dump.

'Same as other gulf cities', hmmm, so they are all shite?

Dubai is legoland with all the western bits, that's why so many of us live there. I'm all for travelling and going to 'proper' middle eastern places which are better than Dubai, but Sharjah is still Sharjah, a dump.

It reminds me of pennywell.
it's not quite that bad, the locals are married and don't wear shell suits
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

it's not quite that bad, the locals are married and don't wear shell suits

less Arabs than Shields though.........

are we warming up for the weekend here ?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:43 am
Concierge

less Arabs than Shields though.........

are we warming up for the weekend here ?

bring it on Sandyboy!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Let's be honest most of the Gulf is a dump and basically looks like Sharjah , parts of Dubai such as Deira , Karama , Al Quoz , Bur Dubai , Satwa all have a run down dirty look and are partly neglected , it hasn't always been the Marina and Downtown Souk Al Bahar.

I know people in Dubai who have never been to the fu**ing Creek and have lived there over 3 years , the only time they go that far is when they fly home.

The main point is don't rule anything out , have a look at everything , that's where people go wrong . Most expats struggle when they leave Dubai as they're expecting a mobile Barasti to be at their new found destination and just to carry on where they left off.

Dubai's one of the easiest tours on the globe and the best in the Gulf , it really doesn't matter where you park your arse you can still enjoy as it's all downhill from there on
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Given the choice, and for teacher's there is a lot of choice - I'd be heading for Dubai instead of Sharjah.

At 24 (which I'm not too far off now) I'd rather be fair weathered than positioning myself in downtown Luanda or Port Harcourt.
I was in Port Harcourt when i was your age kidda
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Exactly.

Why should Sharjah be praised because it's more 'ordinary' in the eyes of some people? It's an utterly unremarkable place where the disadvantages outweigh the advantages for many people. It doesn't have the history or architectural charms of older cities elsewhere popular with expat English teachers and hipster journalists looking for the ethnic experience, nor does it have enough jobs and high salaries to compensate for living in a shithole (assuming Dubai wasn't next door).
What the fu** is a hipster journalist.......?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.