Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I'm new to this so ....Hi!

I'm new to this so ....Hi!

Old Aug 14th 2011, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

bingoed01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm new to this so ....Hi!

Might be in the ME soon & thought I'd try and find out all the chat first up !

I'm a 24yr old female who loves to travel, meet people, have fun & be in the sun.
P.E teacher in Scotland (Edinburgh) and thinking of teaching somewhere else now .....somewhere HOT! Had enough of the Scottish Rain.
Been recommended to a Sharjah school......but not sure .......

If you are already there or anywhere near there please say hi back.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm new to this so ....Hi!

welcome to BE and good luck with your plans
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:30 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingoed01

I'm a 24yr old female who loves to travel, meet people, have fun & be in the sun.
P.E teacher in Scotland (Edinburgh) and thinking of teaching somewhere else now .....somewhere HOT! Had enough of the Scottish Rain.

I have a friend who works at the Australian school there. She spends most of her time in Dubai though. It'll probably be the same for most teachers.

BTW. It does get hot here, but it also gets very, very humid. If you hate the rain because of getting soaked all the time, you won't enjoy Sharjah/Dubai (or the Gulf in general) during the summer months. The combination of 45ÂșC+ heat and 90% humidity means you'll be soaked through with sweat if you're outside for anything more than 30 seconds (I'm not joking).

Oh, and feel free to PM me with the offer you get. I'll be able to tell you how it stacks up against the average teacher's package in Sharjah.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Go for it, but try Dubai / Abu Dhabi before Sharjah.

My mrs is a 24yr old PE Teacher and starts a job out here (Dubai) on Tuesday so there are jobs there and if you've got a Degree and PGCE then you'll find it even easier.

Money isn't amazing but apartment came free so she will be fine.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:32 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

there is a thread in the Middle East section about a group of teachers coming out to teach at the new GEMS school, started by JoeyG I think, check that out
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Go for it, but try Dubai / Abu Dhabi before Sharjah.

why do you say that Scamp ? Your weeks of experience have taught you what about Sharjah exactly ?

I preferred working in Sharjah to Dubai, don't put the lass off
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Sandboy
why do you say that Scamp ? Your weeks of experience have taught you what about Sharjah exactly ?

I've been into Sharjah a couple of times and thought it was a shithole.

I think if you asked 100 people most would suggst Dubai over Sharjah, so "don't put the lass off".
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

The problems in Sharjah include unreliable power supply, horrendous gridlocked traffic, no Metro service, generally alcohol-free culture, apparent 85% TWN male population, relatively few western hangouts...the list goes on.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:15 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

So is working in Sharjah and living in Dubai a realistic option?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
So is working in Sharjah and living in Dubai a realistic option?
Living in Al Qusais or even Mirdif might be okay as the travelling wouldn't be such an issue.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:19 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sharjah is a shitty place. Sure, fine, talk about some of the residential areas and mention that the corniche is pretty and that there's the Blue Souk, but they don't deter from the simple fact that Sharjah is shitty. Traffic is awful, air quality is awful and the amenities are far and few when compared to Dubai.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:23 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy

From gorgeous Edinburgh to small Saudi Sharjah which has nothing but shite shops, sand everywhere and not much English being spoken.

I'd go with Scamp on this one, talk about a culture shock.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:26 am
Just Joined

bingoed01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies , from what I have read on other forums i don't have the best of feelings on SHARJAH, but I have to decide today.I had decided to take the offer before I started some discussions , now i'm not so sure. Having never been to ME maybe Dubai would have been better but I'm well travelled and quite adaptable......I can always return if it doesn't work out. Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:31 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Sharjah is a shitty place. Sure, fine, talk about some of the residential areas and mention that the corniche is pretty and that there's the Blue Souk, but they don't deter from the simple fact that Sharjah is shitty. Traffic is awful, air quality is awful and the amenities are far and few when compared to Dubai.
And let's not forget how strict it is as well.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:31 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Sharjah is no one's first choice, but there are many variables. You can make it workable in a decent school if you can get out. Just bear in mind as others are saying that it is not as Westernised as Dubai and is prone to appalling traffic jams and power cuts, especially in the summer months when you really need the aircon.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. Do come back and tell us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.