Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I'm new to this so ....Hi!

Wikiposts

I'm new to this so ....Hi!

Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: I'm new to this so ....Hi!

Originally Posted by Sandboy
read it back - I never said live there, I said live in Dubai and travel, I worked in Sharjah for years and enjoyed it, there was a real community spirit about the place. You dismissed it out of hand

the relevance is the lass is asking for advice and someone who still hasn't got a visa, a sofa or a full compliment of pubic hair may not be the best qualified to dispense it
Again, I said I'd be looking at Abu Dhabi / Dubai first. That is not dismissing it out of hand.

Again, the relevance of anything you've said is nil.

Pubic hair comment, really? You've got to be twice my age.

I suggest end of debate, because neither of us are helping going back and forth.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:01 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingoed01
Thanks for the advice , I'm starting to paint a picture. it is a lot less than obviously at home and i've just been reading about the tax rules so that is not so good either. Although acommodattion is free , it might be a tiny horrible flat and also standard of living is higher than what I am used to. Might try and hold off for a bit. Many Thanks for all your comments , enjoy life.
Regarding UK tax, you need to spend no more than 91 days in the UK in the current tax year (6th April 2011 to 5th April 2012) in order for your overseas earnings in this tax year to be exempt from UK income tax. Matter are likely to be more complicated (and far more restrictive) with effect from 6th April 2012, but the final rules won't be issued until early 2012.

In short, if you move to the UAE now, for just one school year, all of your earning will be liable for UK Income Tax. Just because it is paid tax-free, doesn't mean you don't have a personal liability.

More useful information for you here: http://financialuae.wordpress.com/20...ated-may-2011/
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Not forgeting that every now and then you could make the shortfall up with miniatures ( but not every visit...)
Don't remember minatures in my time, 81-84!! But sounds like a good solution rather than shuffling your shopping list to hit the magic 400!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

the relevance is the lass is asking for advice and someone who still hasn't got a visa, a sofa or a full compliment of pubic hair may not be the best qualified to dispense it
I just spat my smuggled to my desk cup of coffee all over my computer- now not such a discrete cup of coffee- thanks boys!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Again, I said I'd be looking at Abu Dhabi / Dubai first. That is not dismissing it out of hand.

Again, the relevance of anything you've said is nil.

Pubic hair comment, really? You've got to be twice my age.

I suggest end of debate, because neither of us are helping going back and forth.

fair enough, try Sharjah for your furniture though
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You're not the first to say that - so I'll definitely be hunting around, cheers.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

You're not the first to say that - so I'll definitely be hunting around, cheers.
take an Indian or Pakistani with you to avoid white man's tax
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:30 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Bingo approach the GEMS group, they look after their teachers reasonably well and pay them a decent enough salary.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:49 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Find luckies and go, three warehouses of great stuff, Indian teak and whatever, they then fumigate it all, french polish it all the same colour and deliver it - in roughly a month.

I got a 7 foot high bookcase, tall boy, wardrobe, desk, chair (more like a throne), breakfast bar and two chairs for AED 12k. This was 3 years back mind.

But it's all still there, in great condition and when we leave we'll take it with us, it's quality stuff.

We bought a pricey distressed leather sofa too which is gorgeous, we had an IKEA one and 6 months on it was falling to bits so me and a mate chucked it out and some little lads had taken it within an hour.

You'd be better long term buying nice gear.

Also my rent has dropped like a stone so reckon I'm going to treat myself to a nice big lovely LG tv to celebrate.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Don't remember minatures in my time, 81-84!! But sounds like a good solution rather than shuffling your shopping list to hit the magic 400!
Thinking back, I seem to recall that the minatures started appearing sometime after the ration went up to 500 Q.R.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Bingo approach the GEMS group, they look after their teachers reasonably well and pay them a decent enough salary.
I know people who wouldn't agree with the first part of your statement mind
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:42 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I know people who wouldn't agree with the first part of your statement mind
I am sure there are plenty, but we used to live in a building which was 95% GEMS staff and the majority were happy with the package they were given
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:46 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Why bother driving all the way there when Safita is in Al Quoz and has similar items??
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:32 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Meow
Why bother driving all the way there when Safita is in Al Quoz and has similar items??
I saw a Lucky's here the other day, I think it was near Petzone opposite Lulu
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:53 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I saw a Lucky's here the other day, I think it was near Petzone opposite Lulu
But it is very small. I was very unimpressed when I went in there. Safita is so much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.