CV Classics

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CV Classics

Originally Posted by Scamp
Verdict - Better to have one that not, but keep it short and 1st person.
I have one - in the third person. I put it on my CV as I discovered that recruitment agents would, as part of their pitch, write a few lines about each candidate before passing the short-listed CVs over to the client. When I saw the misrepresentive, factually incorrect and poorly written drivel that they were coming up with I decided to write my own and put it at the top of my CV. It then plays in to the core skills of a recruitment agent: copy-pasting.

In a nut shell, I am a control freak.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Millhouse
My hand is up scampo. I hold a degree in electrical information science or some bullshit like that. I lasted about 4 months in industry before switching to banking and retraining as an accountant.

I have never worked as an accountant either - but it's been helpful.
Shocking!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Electrical Information Science, eh? So that's you trained up with the bulldog clips and the D/C voltage in a quest for details in Guantanamo Bay is it?
Merely curious as this is a job title that could be used in many different ways.

Last edited by OleJanx; Jul 22nd 2011 at 5:29 pm. Reason: t.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Electrical Information Science, eh? So that's you trained up with the bulldog clips and the D/C voltage in a quest for details in Guantanamo Bay is it?
Merely curious as this is a job title that could be used in many different ways.
Christ knows - I never understood it either. I pretty much tried to do navigate the whole thing by doing the easy options. I remember making an inverter - which was basically wrapping a wire around a magnet with a bitch of a hangover.

If you are really interested, it's all here

My engineering stint was for few months in a lab "designing" fibre optic things for undersea telecoms. To be honest it blew my mind and I spent my day either in hiding or sitting on the vibration testing machine.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

How do you get a magnet drunk?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by OleJanx
How do you get a magnet drunk?
exactly. The mind boggles.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

My engineering stint was for few months in a lab "designing" fibre optic things for undersea telecoms. To be honest it blew my mind and I spent my day either in hiding or sitting on the vibration testing machine.
this probably explains why my old internet was down alot
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 4:31 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

My hand is up scampo. I hold a degree in electrical information science or some bullshit like that. I lasted about 4 months in industry before switching to banking and retraining as an accountant.
Jings, I hadn't realised we did the same degree. I lasted six years in industry though...
Old Jul 24th 2011, 4:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I have one - in the third person. I put it on my CV as I discovered that recruitment agents would, as part of their pitch, write a few lines about each candidate before passing the short-listed CVs over to the client. When I saw the misrepresentive, factually incorrect and poorly written drivel that they were coming up with I decided to write my own and put it at the top of my CV. It then plays in to the core skills of a recruitment agent: copy-pasting.

In a nut shell, I am a control freak.
You have to play the percentages.

90% of people in my job are complete spastics.

65%+ of people who write something about themselves as an intro have made 2-3 spelling mistakes and must have failed English Language at school....I'm not joking either, you'd be amazed at some of the stuff you see.

My favourite is when people can't spell the name of the company they work for.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't see the point of that opening paragraph, and writing it in the third person implies a pathetic attempt to imply (in the mind of the reader) that someone else has somehow endorsed the applicant.

I interviewed a guy whose CV included one a while back, and my first question to him was: "Who wrote this opening paragraph about you?".

I think he got my drift.........
Old Jul 24th 2011, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

surely that opening paragraph should be in your cover letter not in your actual CV?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 7:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by kittycat1
surely that opening paragraph should be in your cover letter not in your actual CV?
I think I opened one of those once, wondered what it was, closed it and vowed never to read another one ever ever ever again.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 7:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I doubt anyone receiving 50 CVs a day will bother reading a covering letter.

I reckon CVs should have an opening summary, then brief details. Maximum of two pages and to the point. Who cares what anyone did 20 years ago and that they took an O level in woodwork in 1981?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
I doubt anyone receiving 50 CVs a day will bother reading a covering letter.

I reckon CVs should have an opening summary, then brief details. Maximum of two pages and to the point. Who cares what anyone did 20 years ago and that they took an O level in woodwork in 1981?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.