CV Classics

Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CV Classics

scamp- should you really be discussing stuff that is sent to you for work purposes on an open forum. I must say if I saw something I had privately sent to a recruitment agent posted on a forum I would be livid and would have no interest in using that agent. Private and confidential no?
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by kittycat1
scamp- should you really be discussing stuff that is sent to you for work purposes on an open forum. I must say if I saw something I had privately sent to a recruitment agent posted on a forum I would be livid and would have no interest in using that agent. Private and confidential no?
Fair point to highlight but I don't think I'm compromising anyone's security / privacy etc as it'd be impossible for you or others on here to tell who sent what.

Just wanted to post some funny stuff I read.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

The Trendy Manager is known as economist or a business planner"
Well if i had sent this I would know its from me...and your company might not appreciate you divulging any details even if they are anonymous.

Anyway up to you what you post but worth baring in mind as it is a small world out here, feel free to post more funny stuff :-)
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

me; "So what's your notice period?"
cand; "4 weeks"
me; "So you could start work mid/late August?"
cand; "No"
me; "Why not?"
cand; "Because I must have two weeks to go back to India to find myself"

eh?
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:06 am

WakeUp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
me; "So what's your notice period?"
cand; "4 weeks"
me; "So you could start work mid/late August?"
cand; "No"
me; "Why not?"
cand; "Because I must have two weeks to go back to India to find myself"

eh?
Sounds reasonable to me, I lost myself a long time ago, I think it was somewhere around the Haymarket, but I can't be too sure.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WakeUp
Sounds reasonable to me, I lost myself a long time ago, I think it was somewhere around the Haymarket, but I can't be too sure.
It's when you bump into yourself again that things get tricky...
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:15 am
Account Closed

One of the lads in the office got told by a candidate that he didn't call because he'd lost his back leg in China.

Upon a bit of questioning he'd meant back pack.

Lost In Translation could have been such a good film
Old Jul 19th 2011, 8:02 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

One of the lads in the office got told by a candidate that he didn't call because he'd lost his back leg in China.

Upon a bit of questioning he'd meant back pack.

Lost In Translation could have been such a good film
Going along the Lost In Translation line, soon after we arrived back in UK from Japan a couple of decades ago, in the summer, we were living dahn sarf and she rushed into the house from the garden screaming, "Help! I'm covered in midgets!". They were midges.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 8:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Going along the Lost In Translation line, soon after we arrived back in UK from Japan a couple of decades ago, in the summer, we were living dahn sarf and she rushed into the house from the garden screaming, "Help! I'm covered in midgets!". They were midges.
There's very little better than someone / you answering a question or saying something irrelevant.

Took a colleague and I about 10 minutes to explain we had 1 car between us to the Oman border guys. They were adament we had two cars because we both came in one. We couldn't quite get the right words to explain in a simple way that we were in the same car.

Classic.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:37 am
Account Closed

Brilliant CV just received. Another great candidate, really good experience, but decided a list of projects and his name with contact number was enough.

No companies listed, no dates, no positions, no nothing.

Even after checking it wasn't just his project list as some people do, no, it was the full, comprehensive document representing him.

Great candidate though.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:55 am
Account Closed

"very friendly by nature and can get along very well with people of varying temperaments,"
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

"very friendly by nature and can get along very well with people of varying temperaments,"
What's wrong with that?

By the way, Scamp: what do you think of those opening summary paragraphs on CVs that refer to the candidate in the third person?

"Frank Smith is a self-motivated problem solver, blah, blah, etc, etc....", written by Frank Smith himself on his own CV....... I've always despised that approach but a number of people say they swear by them.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Dean
What's wrong with that?

By the way, Scamp: what do you think of those opening summary paragraphs on CVs that refer to the candidate in the third person?

"Frank Smith is a self-motivated problem solver, blah, blah, etc, etc....", written by Frank Smith himself on his own CV....... I've always despised that approach but a number of people say they swear by them.
I just like the phrasing of it - 'different temperaments' is a great way of diplomatically putting it instead of "I don't mind working with T.wats"

Erm. I don't think I've ever read one. I can't guess at how many CV's I receive a day, sometimes hundreds, sometimes 50, sometimes 10-15...but I've mastered looking at a CV in 4-5 seconds and making a decision whether to read properly.

I basically look for;

Companies worked for - big names / good names then I'll read more
Positions - Constant improvement / consistent promotions or a career PM - all good stuff etc.
Dates - Jumped around?
Career start - worked with big names for good period to start always goes down well with clients, good start of a few years (in my world of Construction) in the UK with an O'Rourke / Balfours / Bobby Macs / Carillion et al is always a plus
Project experience - have they done the job we are looking for, most things are transferable yes but the fit out and building services for a hospital is very different to apartments.

I do the above in about 5 seconds from opening. As soon as something listed catches my eye, i'll sit and read the whole thing thoroughly before chatting to someone.

I know the reaction to what I've said is unlikely to be positive but it's what I do. I'm a bit more fussy but that's because I've always worked at the more senior level where clients are more fussy and picky.

That being said, those opening paragraphs being written in third person is a bit weird. I have one on my CV but is three lines long and because my old man insisted because he ALWAYS read them...

The train of thought i have is that your CV should just be clear. In my field I want Company, time spent, position, list of projects, some duties. Done. Next. I'll get all the other information i need when i meet you and work it all that way.

It's genuinely really difficult when friends / family ask for CV advice because critcising a document that is a representation of you as a person and your achievements is a bit touchy sometimes. I pulled my Mum's apart and she went ape shit. BUT, the end product she liked.

Verdict - Better to have one that not, but keep it short and 1st person.

oh, and stick the phone number at the top but the rest of the personal information stuff is boring. Bottom of the CV, if i need to call you and know your age, i'll read to the bottom. (that's a personal gripe).
Old Jul 21st 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

oh, and stick the phone number at the top but the rest of the personal information stuff is boring. Bottom of the CV, if i need to call you and know your age, i'll read to the bottom. (that's a personal gripe).
Interesting...I have never included my age anywhere..always been told this could work to my dis-advantage, something which gives away too much personal details before decisions are made based on skill. Like putting gender, race and a picture.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hands up anyone here who has changed their entire line of work because they had a dream they were better than / different to how they were?
My hand is up scampo. I hold a degree in electrical information science or some bullshit like that. I lasted about 4 months in industry before switching to banking and retraining as an accountant.

I have never worked as an accountant either - but it's been helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.