Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Brits celebrate Thatcher's death

Brits celebrate Thatcher's death

Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:46 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits celebrate Thatcher's death

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
If any place needed Unions to protect the working class, it is the GCC countries.
Whoa..hey I know it's the weekend but steady on the double camomile teas.
1981 GCC Members: Bahrain(Monarchy),Kuwait(Constitutional Monarchy), Oman,(Monarchy),Qatar(Monarchy)KSA (Monarchy) & UAE(Federation of 7 Monarchies)

So....fancy a career as a shop steward?Who would sponsor your Visa?
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:54 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
http://www.publicservice.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=20364

With those salaries I wonder where the leaders true loyalties lay. Protecting their members interests or their own.
Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds who posses it..
Pitt the Younger 1770.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Unions, bah!

http://absentnus.wordpress.com/
Attached Thumbnails Brits celebrate Thatcher's death-nus-no-future-utopia-now1.jpg  

Last edited by Sue; Apr 18th 2013 at 11:38 am. Reason: Image was hotlinked and so big it knocked the whole thread out of whack. I've attached a smaller version
Old Apr 11th 2013, 9:20 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by britexpat76
http://www.publicservice.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=20364

With those salaries I wonder where the leaders true loyalties lay. Protecting their members interests or their own.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/team...de-300000-2010

If you ever are looking for a film to watch: Hoffa.

Jack Nicholson & Danny Devitto(sp)........

Last edited by Eva; Apr 11th 2013 at 9:23 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Whoa..hey I know it's the weekend but steady on the double camomile teas.
1981 GCC Members: Bahrain(Monarchy),Kuwait(Constitutional Monarchy), Oman,(Monarchy),Qatar(Monarchy)KSA (Monarchy) & UAE(Federation of 7 Monarchies)

So....fancy a career as a shop steward?Who would sponsor your Visa?
Why you ofcourse because I assume you have plenty of wasta; oh and I think my left leaning Jewish American Anthropology prof. would make a better Union organiser. He can keep quiet on being Jewish and none would be the wiser.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 11:12 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Why you ofcourse because I assume you have plenty of wasta; oh and I think my left leaning Jewish American Anthropology prof. would make a better Union organiser. He can keep quiet on being Jewish and none would be the wiser.
Em, I do confess to having an Emirati stepfather which opens doors but only those doors policed by his clan or hegemony.
Please explain the rest of your post.Are you insinuating I am verbose?
I am.
Yiddish people globally have learned to be tacit.We all know why.****ing outrageous why ...
I don't get your reply tbh...
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:20 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She's a few particles of dust now.

All the discussions surrounding this woman and all the talk of her being divisive.
Can you be a successful politician without being divisive?
I think not.

IMHO,she is hated in the main because she forced others to be divisive.
Not essentially by politics but by demographics.
Certainly,in Scotland and in the North,in mining villages,it was not uncommon to have sons go down the pit - or- join the local constabulary.It seems this arrangement was fine as both occupations brought in a wage-which worked fine until the strikes of course.Then they met face to face on the picket lines.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:44 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Which brings up another point...the pits were bloody dangerous places to work (my grandad and great uncle were miners, it was a hard job).

I certainly know that if I had kids the last career path I would want would be down the mines.

Whilst I realize Maggie closing them had nowt to do with that, is it such a bad thing they closed?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Whilst I realize Maggie closing them had nowt to do with that, is it such a bad thing they closed?
Over time no, but one day we will go back to them, it would be much safer and cleaner these days

The problem is these towns and villages only existed due to the mine the damage was brutal and there was no way all of those people could get on their bikes and seek work elsewhere. Other towns like Consett were devastated when the steelworks closed, it's taken 30 years but it now looks like a reasonable place but they had a head start on the mining towns and there's only so much investment to go around.

I worry about the same thing happening with Nissan now, we're way too dependant on it
Old Apr 18th 2013, 8:30 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

If you ever needed evidence that David Cameron is a complete tool, see his comment "we're all Thatcherites now".
Old Apr 19th 2013, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
If you ever needed evidence that David Cameron is a complete tool, see his comment "we're all Thatcherites now".
Yes........... especially as the comment is blatantly inaccurate.........

The Tories may not like to hear it, but UKIP are where they should be - and until the Tories start trying to appeal to traditional Conservatives again, they are doomed to remain unable to form a single-party government.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

The subject has gone beyond Thatcheration point now....
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:46 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Which brings up another point...the pits were bloody dangerous places to work (my grandad and great uncle were miners, it was a hard job).

I certainly know that if I had kids the last career path I would want would be down the mines.

And that opens up a whole other can of worms: Protectionism v Internationalism. British coal, Japanese rice, American peanuts. I don't believe that either extreme is viable or, indeed, necessary, but the shifting dynamic of international trade and geopolitics does, to my mind, suggest that a degree of protectionism (for various reasons) is appropriate (much as it goes against my free-trade principles).

And with coal now (still now?) in demand, should the UK kick-start its coal mining industry? I don't have the knowledge to answer...
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:23 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And that opens up a whole other can of worms: Protectionism v Internationalism. British coal, Japanese rice, American peanuts. I don't believe that either extreme is viable or, indeed, necessary, but the shifting dynamic of international trade and geopolitics does, to my mind, suggest that a degree of protectionism (for various reasons) is appropriate (much as it goes against my free-trade principles).

And with coal now (still now?) in demand, should the UK kick-start its coal mining industry? I don't have the knowledge to answer...
Me neither, however since the mines closed, European quotas have to be considered.
Plus ...technology.Send a camera down to watch a robot tap seams....doesn't provide for mass employment.

Plus...lifestyle.
Risk your life or sign on?

Last edited by Eva; Apr 20th 2013 at 9:28 pm.