Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Brits celebrate Thatcher's death

Brits celebrate Thatcher's death

Old Apr 10th 2013, 8:33 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits celebrate Thatcher's death

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...demonised.html
Old Apr 10th 2013, 8:42 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
All seems a bit tasteless celebrating her death in this manner. Didn't particularly like the woman for what its worth.
Her non compromising tactics in the north were one reason for the continuation of the problems up there, she was the strongest recruiter the IRA ever had. Compromise was possible as it subsequently turned out.

(and no I am not an IRA sympathiser, there was no need for all of these deaths regardless of which side you are on)
I agree with you @ it being tasteless celebrating her death,anyone 's death for that matter.
I agree with you @ the waste of lives on both sides in the Troubles however she
couldn't compromise during the hunger strikes then four years after the death of Bobby Sands and as a direct result of same the Provisionals try to murder her..
She wouldn't ever cut them slack after that,particularly since the trial of the Brighton ASU revealed an agenda of 16 further targets in London and other places in Great Britain...
Compromise wasn't possible during her time in power,IMHO.

Last edited by Eva; Apr 10th 2013 at 8:48 am. Reason: sp
Old Apr 10th 2013, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Whilst you don't celebrate the death of an individual, or even if you're considering the differentation between public figure and civilian, perhaps the Left may be doing this to get in the public eye as Cameron states his similarity to her, and that he wants to be better than her, as he tears down what is left in our society (NHS, society itself, etc)

I don't agree with yesterday though. I saw a lot of more private photos and videos than you've got access to through the news sites and it seems to be the Left ramming in that wedge of the governments devising, disabling any strength they may gain from the public in future.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:03 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
Whilst you don't celebrate the death of an individual, or even if you're considering the differentation between public figure and civilian, perhaps the Left may be doing this to get in the public eye as Cameron states his similarity to her, and that he wants to be better than her, as he tears down what is left in our society (NHS, society itself, etc)

I don't agree with yesterday though. I saw a lot of more private photos and videos than you've got access to through the news sites and it seems to be the Left ramming in that wedge of the governments devising, disabling any strength they may gain from the public in future.
What is wrong with peaceful protest?
What are these young people, raised on folklore dependent on demographics ,
doing for the fabric of society in UK? Alcohol fueled mobs vandalising property etc
causing more police presence ergo higher policing bills on public purse,
How much of the funeral budget is going on policing and safety costs?
I absolutely support the freedom to protest but within the confines of reasonable behavior
and never to the danger or physical detriment of others.

I totally agree with your last paragraph.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:00 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
'
It must have been galling if the lady was so...obviously bleeding wrong....that she still decisively won three consecutive elections and the subsequent Labour governments never attempted to undo her main policies.
When you saw the devastation her policies were wreaking on large areas of the country - many of which that that have never truly recovered - then yes, it *was* galling that a PM who was causing so much real damage to so many people was being kept in power by, at best, 42% of the electorate. Even though the anti-Tory vote was split, the one thing that almost universally united the 58% of people who voted for opposition parties was hatred of Thatcher.

Yes, it was a great shame that Labour felt it had to essentially jettison many of its core principles in order to become electable, and their continuation of Thatcherism has most assuredly not helped the UK. A great many of the problems the country faces now can be traced directly back to changes wrought under Thatcher, and Blair and Brown aided and abetted.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:14 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
A great many of the problems the country faces now can be traced directly back to changes wrought under Thatcher, and Blair and Brown aided and abetted.
And the unions.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:52 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Not exactly right for the title of this thread, but I can't be bothered with those gimps in TIO.

Sometimes Russell Brand is good

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...garet-thatcher
What does it say, I refuse to open a link to the Guardian?
Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
What does it say, I refuse to open a link to the Guardian?
It's like a fourth former's English essay when he's trying to shock teacher......
Old Apr 11th 2013, 4:06 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
It's like a fourth former's English essay when he's trying to shock teacher......
I actually thought it was the best thing I've ever read (or heard or seen) from him.

Low bar I know, but I originally skipped it just because he wrote it, and was persuaded to go back. His style is tiresome, but he captures what it was like to grow up under her watch very, very well.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 11th 2013, 6:40 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
And the unions.
If you mean that the actions of the unions - or, more accurately, the more militant union leaders of the time - led to Thatcherism, which consequently led on the problems we have now, you're right.

Unions are excellent things that have done much for the rights of working people and are arguably even more relevant than ever nowadays, but with great power comes great responsibility... and some of the union leaders of the time were flat-out stupid.

Last edited by Eeyore; Apr 11th 2013 at 6:43 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:11 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All my days I thought it was Anuerin Bevan who created the NHS.
Knowing it wouldn't work,didn't he remodel Atlee's white paper
The vision may have been Atlee's but the actual working service was Bevan's creation-no?
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Unions are excellent things that have done much for the rights of working people and are arguably even more relevant than ever nowadays, but with great power comes great responsibility... and some of the union leaders of the time were flat-out stupid.
If any place needed Unions to protect the working class, it is the GCC countries.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:24 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you mean that the actions of the unions - or, more accurately, the more militant union leaders of the time - led to Thatcherism, which consequently led on the problems we have now, you're right.

Objective speculation: I often wonder if miners still had to pay their subs during the strikes.

How are the Unions more relevant nowadays please,given the advent and entrenchment of EU lex?
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:33 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.publicservice.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=20364

With those salaries I wonder where the leaders true loyalties lay. Protecting their members interests or their own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.