Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:13 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Originally Posted by mikewot
Generally always turns out the same when religious apologetics try to defend their 'faith'. It would be much easier if they simply admitted that they have no proof etc. etc. but they just believe because they enjoy what religion offers them. End of argument statement because you can't argue against that. But no no no, we always end up on a hamster wheel.
I can't decide if DD is a very clever troll or just a complete fruitcake.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:19 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I can't decide if DD is a very clever troll or just a complete fruitcake.
I was thinking the same but I do like to post on said hamster wheel. If I can plant one little seed of doubt in someone then my work is done
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:29 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
I was thinking the same but I do like to post on said hamster wheel. If I can plant one little seed of doubt in someone then my work is done
I've come to the conclusion that it's virtually impossible to have a proper debate on the internet. It's basically arguing with anonymous people who can say whatever they want to a captive audience. Still entertaining to watch, though.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:33 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Mikewot does not know his stuff! Mikewot posts randomly selected stuff without understanding. Following is from the Old Testament which was superseded by the New Testament and is not taken as a moral reference but a historical document:

Proverbs 6:32
He who commits adultery lacks sense; he who does it destroys himself.

Leviticus 20:10
“If a man commits adultery with the wife of his neighbor, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Leviticus 20:13
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

Deuteronomy 22:22
“If a man is found lying with the wife of another man, both of them shall die, the man who lay with the woman, and the woman. So you shall purge the evil from Israel.

Deuteronomy 20:23
20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl's virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father's house. You must purge the evil from among you.

22 If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel.

23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the girl because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man's wife. You must purge the evil from among you
The following is from the New Testament......

1 Corinthians 6:9
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality.

Revelation 2:22
Behold, I will throw her onto a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her I will throw into great tribulation, unless they repent of her works,
..... and does not indicate any sort of corporal punishment which is not surprising as the philosophy of the New Testament was to move away from corporal punishment and towards spiritual punishment by denying access to kingdom of heaven.

Mike, you get an F for this 'effort'. Pay more attention the next time.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:45 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Generally always turns out the same when religious apologetics try to defend their 'faith'. It would be much easier if they simply admitted that they have no proof etc. etc. but they just believe because they enjoy what religion offers them. End of argument statement because you can't argue against that. But no no no, we always end up on a hamster wheel.
Buddy, once you study the stuff before writing about it and start making some basic progress on the substance and differences between the Old Testament and the New Testament and their implications on the Christian morals, you will be entitled to seek a 'proof' from others.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:46 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

But all the religious books and manuscripts were written by a bloke!

A few stories here and there to get the uninformed and uneducated to believe in an omnipotent deity.

Bottom line was though, they were still written by a bloke.

I'm going to start praying to the Wizard of Oz. Some bloke wrote it, so it must be true.

Now where's my Louboutins?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Kix
But all the religious books and manuscripts were written by a bloke!

A few stories here and there to get the uninformed and uneducated to believe in an omnipotent deity.

Bottom line was though, they were still written by a bloke.

I'm going to start praying to the Wizard of Oz. Some bloke wrote it, so it must be true.

Now where's my Louboutins?
I blame China.

Still, at least nine of us worked today, on the sabba....oh.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:51 pm
Banned

You really don't get how science works do you?

What really fascinates me is that people like yourself seem to believe its possible to just pick and choose which bits of science you deem to be accurate or true. Ignoring the fact you lack the knowledge to determine this is the first place, how do you do this?
Climate change is a conspiracy yet you feel safe to type on some device and post on the Internet. As though one is somehow a dangerous lie and the other innocuous. How do you arbitrarily decide this? No really how?
I assume you don't worry that you car will explode tomorrow morning when you start it or that your phone will electrocute you that gravity will hold you down when you get out of bed.

The scientifically illiterate seem to be wilfully ignorant of the fact that you can't and don't get to choose that which is true.
Yeah but the gravity is something completely different from the hogwash such as global warming models. I have complete faith in basic sciences we understand very well, like basic physics, metals, mathematics, chemistry, etc. This is completely different from the science fiction such as the theories about universe or complete ideologically driven rubbish such as 'environmental science'. Of course I can pick what science I believe and what I don't believe. Not all science was born equal. I had heavy physics on my engineering course and that is stuff that is applicable and works. This space curvature business, big bang and other fantasies are utter unproven bollox.

Last edited by Desert Dubliner; Feb 24th 2013 at 5:53 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:02 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
This space curvature business, big bang and other fantasies are utter unproven bollox.
A bit like religion then?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:09 pm
Banned

Ok so don't prove anything just give me one single example of how it might be beneficial in anyway
Benefit? There is no benefit. It will be beneficial one day you're clutching your last breath. You will want to believe there is something more waiting for you other than being dumped in the ground to be eaten by worms. Religion developed in the times people struggled for a loaf of bread and died in their late 20's from rotten teeth after working their balls off from the age of 3. They had a reason to believe in god every day of their lives and surely a day will come when you will have a good reason to want to extend your existence in some sort of way thinking you will go to heaven and wait for your beloved ones there.

But let me tell you one thing. What if you (and me, I don't believe either) are wrong all all those who believe are right. They go to heaven and you go to hell. So there's a benefit - you have little to lose by believing.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by britexpat76
A bit like religion then?
Yeah. Some stories in there are pure SF. Difficult to take some of the stuff with a straight face.

Still, I much preferred a church wedding with a choir. It's a nice tradition and I like the conservative nature of the Christian morals.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:22 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

So let's test this premise. You are out walking with your 5 year old daughter and I decide to parade completely naked in front of you. You will not cover her eyes, judge my behavior and perhaps even call the cops (as this is illegal). Which brings me to my next point - you will support (actively or passively) my new 'Let's Walk Naked' party?
For some reason in a sea of nonsense this stuck out. Why would anyone in their right mind cover their 5 year old daughters eyes in front of non sexual nudity?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:33 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Mikewot does not know his stuff! Mikewot posts randomly selected stuff without understanding. Following is from the Old Testament which was superseded by the New Testament and is not taken as a moral reference but a historical document:

The following is from the New Testament......

..... and does not indicate any sort of corporal punishment which is not surprising as the philosophy of the New Testament was to move away from corporal punishment and towards spiritual punishment by denying access to kingdom of heaven.

Mike, you get an F for this 'effort'. Pay more attention the next time.
What do the abrupt changes from Old to New Testament tell us about God? It is like a panic change of policies before an election. No omnipotence here. No universal moral code here.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kimilseung
For some reason in a sea of nonsense this stuck out. Why would anyone in their right mind cover their 5 year old daughters eyes in front of non sexual nudity?
Where do you live? I will call the social service now.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kimilseung
What do the abrupt changes from Old to New Testament tell us about God? It is like a panic change of policies before an election. No omnipotence here. No universal moral code here.
Nope. The 10 commandments came from God. These remained. It's the human fallible implementation that suffered several revisions. This is just another example how God was good and he followed the basic principles of good management. He delegated writing of the Bible to humans by just giving a guideline knowing they will fail and they will grow their competence through failure.

Again, as with most half-baked entries on this thread, the devil is in the detail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.