Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:34 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Just wondering.

For me as an atheist, how can i convert from something I don't believe in to something else I don't believe in?

I can understand it that people do it to get married, but I'm sure it doesn't mean much to them.

So.

Anyone?

Willingly?

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Waqs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Hope you got your flame suit on.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Just wondering.

For me as an atheist, how can i convert from something I don't believe in to something else I don't believe in?

I can understand it that people do it to get married, but I'm sure it doesn't mean much to them.

So.

Anyone?

Willingly?

I made below thread recently, it is an article on Arabnews about British women (in Britain) who converted to Islam.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788192

---
Anyone woman converting to Islam is bonkers, or is doing it due marriage pressure.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:36 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Technically I think they say reverted to Islam.
Anyhow if you are atheist surely taking up any religion is ludicrous, never mind Islam.

Stick to the divorced or non virgin Muslim women, they won't ask for marriage before a shag
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:52 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Technically I think they say reverted to Islam.
Anyhow if you are atheist surely taking up any religion is ludicrous, never mind Islam.

Stick to the divorced or non virgin Muslim women, they won't ask for marriage before a shag
Of course, in Islam, everyone is born a muslim aren't they...

What a load of bollocks!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kix

What a load of bollocks!
So are christians and jews and hindus and buddhists, as far as I have been bothered to check.

A friend of mine 'converted' recently. As a journo in the middle east hot zones and a future muslim wife, he has no complaints. He just asks around until they cough up an answer for him to give his in laws to be. It is probably the easiest religion to join, and no one seems to bothered about how strictly it is practiced. Just saying you're muslim even gives Americans a chance to survive on the ground in the middle of a bunch of jihadist nutters.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
So are christians and jews and hindus and buddhists, as far as I have been bothered to check.

A friend of mine 'converted' recently. As a journo in the middle east hot zones and a future muslim wife, he has no complaints. He just asks around until they cough up an answer for him to give his in laws to be. It is probably the easiest religion to join, and no one seems to bothered about how strictly it is practiced. Just saying you're muslim even gives Americans a chance to survive on the ground in the middle of a bunch of jihadist nutters.
At the rate London is going , maybee saying one is Muslim will be prudent , in the future. Oh I kid I kid
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:23 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix

What a load of bollocks!
I find it to be the most conceited and arrogant tripe ever. Then again it makes immense claims for itself in most respects doesn't it? It invokes prostrate submission as a maxim to it's adherents, and demands deference and respect from non-believers into the bargain (often under threat of fines, imprisonment or death). There is nothing, in it's teachings (a set of obvious and ill-arranged plagiarisms, just as bad as the things it borrowed from) which can begin to justify such arrogance and presumption.

On the subject of the original question, I embraced a gay Muslim man today (who is very confused and in the closet because jail isn't a nice prospect just because you prefer sausage to pie) whilst at an Emirati's house for lunch...not sure if that counts as embracing Islam though.

N.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:29 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

As an atheist I claim to be a Christian when in Muslim countries and areas. I found saying no religion was greeted with either hostility or just down right confusion and bewilderment.

Do any of you guys own up to your atheism and if so, how does it go down?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:30 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
At the rate London is going , maybee saying one is Muslim will be prudent , in the future. Oh I kid I kid
Well, we have self appointed Sharia patrols in a few areas now, engaging in a bit of gay bashing, picking on women in mini-skirts and the like...turning into Newcastle

N.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Yvonne Ridley and her choice to accept Islam might be an interesting read, Mohammad Ali and a few others...

I know some who accept the faith for marriage reasons but most, no.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Well, we have self appointed Sharia patrols in a few areas now, engaging in a bit of gay bashing, picking on women in mini-skirts and the like...turning into Newcastle

N.
Those guys who harassed members of the public were openly told to stop and sermons in Mosques and other lectures emphasised about getting our 'own house in order'

The actions of a handful should not cloud our judgement on this particular matter I say.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung
As an atheist I claim to be a Christian when in Muslim countries and areas. I found saying no religion was greeted with either hostility or just down right confusion and bewilderment.

Do any of you guys own up to your atheism and if so, how does it go down?
I'm a Christian here too...it's just not worth it with 90% of them as they have not got the benefit of post-Englightenment secularism to tell them non-belief is a choice that doesn't affect them, rather than a heresy worthy of punishment.

N.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by mathematist
Those guys who harassed members of the public were openly told to stop and sermons in Mosques and other lectures emphasised about getting our 'own house in order'

The actions of a handful should not cloud our judgement on this particular matter I say.
I saw some leaders condemned and my hat goes off to them. I worry if they mean it they will become targets themselves (these people tend kill their own to get them back to a more literal view of scripture).

I also worry some of those leaders are engaging in their own, nicer struggle against the Dar Al Harb (or Dar al Garb if we use Ottoman views of us Western kaffirs).

Of course this is just my opinion...and I certainly don't think we need to judge anyone for anything but their own actions and views.

N.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:15 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I will always remember when I was working in Libya and telling a Libyan colleague I was atheist. He was utterly shocked, saying, "I thought you were such a nice guy!". I told him I still was the same guy, and he seemed to accept that. It was interesting to see that reaction, though. I doubt it would have been so strong if I'd said I was Christian. Still, overall he was a sound bloke. Completely brainwashed, but lovely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.