Why come back to Britain?????

Old Dec 10th 2005, 6:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why come back to Britain?????

Originally Posted by MJC
2 things, you ain't left yet and you're a grumpy old man - and I thought Victor was dead!!
Your opinions are still Bollocks

G
Old Dec 10th 2005, 6:41 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

That is just it, my opinion, and whilst I disagree with your thoughts about mine, I agree that they should be heard!
Originally Posted by Grayling
Your opinions are still Bollocks

G
Old Dec 10th 2005, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

eliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Interested
Maybe she was joking
Somebody I know well just told me that at the bank branch he works at in London they banned Father Christmas and any other reference to Christmas for fear of offending those of a *different religious persuasion*.

I am no Christian myself, but why should we grovel to these people? Christmas is an Anglo Saxon Tradition even though it has lost its true purpose. We respect their rights...they should respect ours. As the poster Vandiemen pointed out...political correctness has become an absurdity in this country and it is getting worse.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 6:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novita77
Hi Jaj,

Out of interest ... my husband paying NI contribution, does this cover my son for NHS treatment eventho he never living in the UK?

TIA

To be entitled for non-emergency treatment under the NHS, you have to be resident in the UK. As in living there, as opposed to visiting.

NI contributions and being British doesn't come into it.

If you need further information, I suggest googling for 'NHS entitlement'.

(NB: anyone - including tourists - will be treated for free in an emergency.)
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:22 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
To be entitled for non-emergency treatment under the NHS, you have to be resident in the UK. As in living there, as opposed to visiting.

NI contributions and being British doesn't come into it.

If you need further information, I suggest googling for 'NHS entitlement'.

(NB: anyone - including tourists - will be treated for free in an emergency.)
Thank you for your very kind explanation
Old Dec 10th 2005, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eliscolin
Somebody I know well just told me that at the bank branch he works at in London they banned Father Christmas and any other reference to Christmas for fear of offending those of a *different religious persuasion*.

I am no Christian myself, but why should we grovel to these people? Christmas is an Anglo Saxon Tradition even though it has lost its true purpose. We respect their rights...they should respect ours. As the poster Vandiemen pointed out...political correctness has become an absurdity in this country and it is getting worse.
Cant say "Merry Christmas" here. You have to say "Happy Holidays" as some religions dont celebrate christmas. So its not just in the UK.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 8:39 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Quit moaning for goodness sake. Christmas is still a a word you can use most of the time in the UK, but you can't here in the US believe it or not. It has morphed into 'The Holidays' to avoid upsetting the other festivities at the same time of year. Care to guess what they may be?
Try buying a Christmas card with the word Christmas anywhere on it...you can't, it doesn't exist. I recieved a card from my mailman last week, it said Happy Holidays on the envelope. The card had a picture of Mary holding a baby Jesus, but the wording inside said something like "Season's Greeting during the Holidays" So even with a religious picture on the card, Christmas is still unmentionable You can't even say Merry Christmas to someone here, for fear of causing offense....it has to be Happy Holidays The kids have Holiday parties and Holiday cookies etc. Just substitute Holidays for whenever you would normally say Christmas.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 9:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Quit moaning for goodness sake. Christmas is still a a word you can use most of the time in the UK, but you can't here in the US believe it or not. It has morphed into 'The Holidays' to avoid upsetting the other festivities at the same time of year. Care to guess what they may be?
Try buying a Christmas card with the word Christmas anywhere on it...you can't, it doesn't exist. I recieved a card from my mailman last week, it said Happy Holidays on the envelope. The card had a picture of Mary holding a baby Jesus, but the wording inside said something like "Season's Greeting during the Holidays" So even with a religious picture on the card, Christmas is still unmentionable You can't even say Merry Christmas to someone here, for fear of causing offense....it has to be Happy Holidays The kids have Holiday parties and Holiday cookies etc. Just substitute Holidays for whenever you would normally say Christmas.
It is a shame, really, when the intent is usually just to be friendly.

If I said "Happy Christmas" to someone and they responded with "and a Happy Hannukah to you!", or "Happy Kwaanza!" it would not offend me in the slightest, in fact I'd hope it would be the start of an interesting conversation. In fact, if they said something like "Don't you mean Happy Hannukah?" it would be quite funny way of letting me know they are Jewish.

Too easy to offend people these days.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 10:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
It is a shame, really, when the intent is usually just to be friendly.

If I said "Happy Christmas" to someone and they responded with "and a Happy Hannukah to you!", or "Happy Kwaanza!" it would not offend me in the slightest, in fact I'd hope it would be the start of an interesting conversation. In fact, if they said something like "Don't you mean Happy Hannukah?" it would be quite funny way of letting me know they are Jewish.

Too easy to offend people these days.

I always thought it rather nice that our non-Christian friends in the UK would still send out 'Seasons Greetings' cards - and none of them were ever offended by receiving 'proper' Christmas cards.

I recall one nativity play at my boys' primary school where Mary was played by a Moslem and Joseph by a Hindu...

You wouldn't be allowed to do any of this here

Being an old contrarian, I always reply to 'Happy Holidays' with 'Merry Christmas' - unless I know or suspect that the person is religious but not Christian. So far I don't think I've actually offended anyone...
Old Dec 10th 2005, 10:52 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by novita77
Sorry .... i was wondering about that. I just came back from the UK last week ... then i saw this xmas lights in the village. Apparently my step daugther told me that it is not allow to be call 'xmas light' because it will offending 'The Minority'.

I thought this is silly ... u come and live in the UK, dont u think u should adopt their customs?

we living in the middle east now ... do u think our 'emir' will do the same towards "The Minority" here???

I noticed as well, the crimes stories i read in the paper most of the time always commited by immigrants.

We travelling in and out the UK 3 times during 3 weeks stays ... and in most airport we been ... always were a queue jumper ... and surprisingly they also non-white skin colour. Either indian / pakistani / arab or whatever. But it seems because they carrying british passport they feel they have the right to get a special treatment ....

Anyway ... sorry for hijacking the thread escolin ... i just trying to make a point that eventho living in the UK is nice (to be together with your family) but still everything there messed up.

My son is british .... once we go back to the UK ... he need to see a doctor ... the local surgery wont make an appointment for him because he dont have a national insurance number. And to get one they said u have to live in the country min for 6 mths.

But I saw all this immigrant coming throught the tunnel and they get free of everything from the government.
At least you are honest about your racism... But don't you live in a 'non-white', 'arab' country? How on earth do you cope with all those non-white queue jumpers constant jumping queues everywhere?

Last edited by ShozInOz; Dec 10th 2005 at 10:57 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Actually I say "Merry Xmas" here even though I'm an atheist. So I have to laugh at the irony when someone tells me they are offended by it - and they do. I had someone lecture me on why I shouldnt say Merry Christmas to them and how dare I push my beliefs on them as they were non-christian. After a couple of minutes of their ranting I explained that actually im an atheist and I was simply wishing them a good time. The look was priceless.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 11:56 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a problem saying Happy Christmas here and there are a lot of Jewish families around. But I am careful who I say it to. Only because I am respectful of other peoples beliefs. I will gladly buy appropriate cards and wish others Happy "insert which ever holiday you wish" if I know they are not Christian/Christmas celebrators. And I can buy Christmas Cards (with Merry/Happy Christmas written on) all over - Walmart, Target, Dollar Store etc. And generally prefer them to Happy Holiday cards, purely because it is what I am used to/what I like. But the children don't like them and prefer Happy Holidays for all their friends.

I know it takes a bit of getting use to, not having Christmas how we remember it, but just like everything that when you learn to adapt you can still keep your traditions without feeling that you are having to fight for them
Old Dec 11th 2005, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Out of interest then, since neither my wife nor I have a holiday over Xmas due to our work, should we be offended by someone saying "Happy Holidays" to us?
Old Dec 11th 2005, 1:03 am
Just Joined

suffolkdino is on a distinguished road

I read through some of these posts about people leaving countries such as Canada, NZ or Australia to come back and live in the UK and I try to understand WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY would anybody in their sane and right mind possibly want to come back to live in a place like Britain????? Apart from the crap climate, the quality of housing is dismal if you are lucky to be able to afford anything in the first place, the cost of living is wiping out incomes, the public services are an utter shambles…my wife is Brazilian and reckons that the Health Service is better in Brazil!!

As for this PATHETIC arsehole of a Labour government…they are turning the place into an Islamic State, while pandering to the needs of every other basket case country, scrounger and immigrant with a begging bowl while kicking the people that do all the damned work up the backside. Frankly I am absolutely sick to death of the place and would commit MURDER to have even the remotest possible opportunity to live in a good, organized, sensible, rational English speaking country such as Canada, Australia or NZ.

Currently I am looking at moving either to Brazil or Chile as I have options for both those countries and as soon as I am organized enough I will be off without any hesitation.
it is interesting to go back to the op (above) then look through the threads to see how the conversation has digressed into one regarding different cultures and those who seem more racially tolerant than others..
it is hardly surprizing when Eliscolin, begins by talking about an "Islamic state" - but Eliscolin, apart from your racial views, the rest of your post seems mainly concerned with materialistic things, cost of living, houses etc
I, like probably a lot of other people emigrated because we genuinely thought that another country, in my case Australia, would mean I'd be able to give my children a "better quality of life" etc. Since being here i have discovered that some people like me, need to travel the world to appreciate what was really important in the first place i.e. the big house etc means nothing if you are in a society whos values do not sit comfortably with your own.
i have learnt that when emigrating, you can adapt and choose to live anywhere - but that is the crux of it - CHOICE. I see people who are very happily settled here (and thats good) but no matter what they say, they have to of changed their beliefs (whether aware of it or not) in order to become part of that society. I feel that I am not being true to myself if I do that because I like the person I am and dont want to become part of the "Im all right Jack" brigade. I also see a lot of Australians who are not racist - its just for me because I have lived in the UK, i do not want my children to pay "lip service" to minority gps re equal opps - i want them to experience the multicultral way of life and decide for themselves. I didnt think things like that were important before I came - I probably had similar views to you re public sector decline etc etc. however, i know feel that in order of importance, these things have gone way down the list below being surrounded by people who you think will genuinely care for you and help you if the shit hits the fan. For me thats whats important inlife - that what defines us -it was an expensive learning curve but Im glad I did it
By reading your OP, I really dont think that you are the type of person to think beyond the "whats best for me" attitude and therefore you will probably do ok whaerever you choose to live. so good luck to you - but Im glad, I have discovered that its not the person I am.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 1:26 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
At least you are honest about your racism... But don't you live in a 'non-white', 'arab' country? How on earth do you cope with all those non-white queue jumpers constant jumping queues everywhere?
that call living expatting ....accepting the local culture where u live. And why u think I cope with all those non-white queue jumper? I live in their country ... and just have to accept their ingnorance, or get out

if they dont like to queue in Britain... IMHO they should get out ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.