Why come back to Britain?????

Old Dec 12th 2005, 3:40 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why come back to Britain?????

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
The word 'wog' derives from 'golliwog' and was originally directed at people from the Indian subcontinent in the 1950s in the UK, then people of black African origin. Many in Australia don't realise this. There was an effort to change the meaning to 'Western Orient Gentleman' several decades ago in Australia. Now people of southern mediteranean origin have taken much of the sting out of the term by using it themselves, as did African Americans with 'nigger', but the word 'wog' is used by white people too, mostly without offence apparently, except during yesterday's and last night's riots in Sydney.
It has absolutely nothing to do with race/colour it has been hijacked by the pc brigade

Florence Upton was born in New York to English Parents in 1873.

In 1895 at the age of 22, Florence illustrated her first book, written by her mother.

It was called the Adventures of Two Dutch Dolls and it involved a Gollywogg.

The book was a children's story about Florence's own childhood dolls.

These dolls, including the Gollywogg, are now housed at Chequers, the British Prime Minister's country residence.

Florence is credited at naming the Gollywoggs, by altering the word Pollywog.

Pollywog was a dialect word meaning wiggle head, which meant "tadpole". The word was originally "pol" meaning head, and "wiggle", becoming waggle, becoming wag, becoming wog, over many, many years.

Some say Gollywog was used due to the somewhat surprised look on the doll's face,

as if it was saying "Golly", which is an English exclamation of surprise.

Florence and her mother had 13 Gollywogg Books published between 1895 and 1909.

They were an incredibly popular children's book.

The word wog the OED has picked up on two seperate meanings: a British racial insult and an Australian word associated with creepy-crawlies and germs.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
the word 'wog' is used by white people too, mostly without offence apparently, except during yesterday's and last night's riots in Sydney.
This is a whole new debate in itself. My Aussie family are Italian migrants from the 50s. The elders in particular do find the term 'wog' offensive, in any circumstances. The first-born Aussies less so, but still class it a derogatory term. It depends on who's using the term, and the context, I guess.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polyphemus
Don't you mean 'wop'? (from Ital. guappo = showy, or Span guapo = dandy)

Aus derog. 'wog' is a minor illness - cold etc.

From a pikey taff honky with numpty tendencies.
No, I mean 'wog'.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
No, I mean 'wog'.
Some older Australians do use wog to mean a cold.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:49 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
It depends on who's using the term, and the context, I guess.
Spot on, there was a film called "Wog Boy" wasn't there

Seriously, I have been called Pommy alsorts over in Australia, usually in a friendly manner and never to cause offence

Now if someone told me to "F**K off, you Pommy B*****d", now I WOULD be offended
Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:25 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

F**K off, you Pommy B*****d

Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:29 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
F**K off, you Pommy B*****d

OK, very offended
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really nice

As for this PATHETIC arsehole of a Labour government…they are turning the place into an Islamic State, while pandering to the needs of every other basket case country, scrounger and immigrant with a begging bowl while kicking the people that do all the damned work up the backside.

I think muslims make the best coffee. My ex girlfriend from Rio has been held up and robbed at gunpoint more times than I've had feijoada and bad as the current Labour Government might be, if the alternative gets elected I'll follow you to Brasil.

Now excuse me I'm going back to the Oz forum
Old Dec 12th 2005, 1:52 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySlicker
I am happy with my figures as I was responding to someone who said that I would have been safer staying in London since 2001 rather than flying to NZ. I feel that I have proved that I am in fact safer flying ONCE to NZ rather than travelling on the underground every day since then.

How about you put your husbands calculations on this thread for me to have a look at rather than just saying that I am wrong.
No, the original question was "what are the chances of being killed by a suicide bomber on the way to work" not how safe is the underground now. How exactly does a high risk analysis for Life Insurance effect the actual probabilty of it happening again?
You yourself have said...
Originally Posted by CitySlicker
Actuaries appear to be good at manipulating stats when they are taken out of context but generally insurance companies do stay solvent and make profits if care is taken.
That's exactly what you have done. I do believe there is a risk involved commuting on the tube, just as there is crossing the road and being hit by a bus. But, isn't the probability of it happening different to the risk element? Whatever, there's far more chance of dying in a car crash than of terrorism.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 2:03 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neathborn
I have to disagree with you somewhat regarding the US. I had no problem finding cards with "Merry Christmas" on them and there are quite a few places here where you can get cards that mention "Christmas."
Ah, maybe I've just been looking in all the wrong places then.
Too late now, all my cards have been sent, but will try harder next year!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eliscolin
I read through some of these posts about people leaving countries such as Canada, NZ or Australia to come back and live in the UK and I try to understand WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY would anybody in their sane and right mind possibly want to come back to live in a place like Britain????? Apart from the crap climate, the quality of housing is dismal if you are lucky to be able to afford anything in the first place, the cost of living is wiping out incomes, the public services are an utter shambles…my wife is Brazilian and reckons that the Health Service is better in Brazil!!

As for this PATHETIC arsehole of a Labour government…they are turning the place into an Islamic State, while pandering to the needs of every other basket case country, scrounger and immigrant with a begging bowl while kicking the people that do all the damned work up the backside. Frankly I am absolutely sick to death of the place and would commit MURDER to have even the remotest possible opportunity to live in a good, organized, sensible, rational English speaking country such as Canada, Australia or NZ.

Currently I am looking at moving either to Brazil or Chile as I have options for both those countries and as soon as I am organized enough I will be off without any hesitation.
Hi

I understand your frustration but the sad thing is I know a few people who have been talking like you for years. NO offence to you personally but not one of them has got up of their ar*se and actually left, which I suspect will be the case with you.

No where is paradise, and i reckon they would be exactly the same after few years anywhere.

By the way if Brazil is so great check out their murder rate

Stay safe

Jon

Sure UK has problems but i feel you would be in exactly the same situation anywhere in the world with your attitude
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

eliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Hi

I understand your frustration but the sad thing is I know a few people who have been talking like you for years. NO offence to you personally but not one of them has got up of their ar*se and actually left, which I suspect will be the case with you.

No where is paradise, and i reckon they would be exactly the same after few years anywhere.

By the way if Brazil is so great check out their murder rate

Stay safe

Jon

Sure UK has problems but i feel you would be in exactly the same situation anywhere in the world with your attitude
The difference between your friends and I is that I have lived abroad most of my life. If I had the ultimate choice I would live in Canada/ OZ or NZ, because they are English speaking countries which are easier to live and work in. As I am no longer eligible on the point system I have to look for alternatives.

I have spent plenty of time in Brazil in the last 4 years so I am aware of the problems. I would never live in the main cities for all the mentioned reasons. As I have stated Brazil is one alternative. The other option is Chile which appears far more favourable having an equivalent infrastructure to Spain/ Portugal.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 6:06 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before and I'll say it again. GO FOR IT MATE. Love the Llamas and Lake Tittikaka (I love that word - lake!!!!) and if all else fails, come to Sunny Dubai, you don't get robbed, beaten up, sexually abused etc. etc....

Good luck bud!
The difference between your friends and I is that I have lived abroad most of my life. If I had the ultimate choice I would live in Canada/ OZ or NZ, because they are English speaking countries which are easier to live and work in. As I am no longer eligible on the point system I have to look for alternatives.

I have spent plenty of time in Brazil in the last 4 years so I am aware of the problems. I would never live in the main cities for all the mentioned reasons. As I have stated Brazil is one alternative. The other option is Chile which appears far more favourable having an equivalent infrastructure to Spain/ Portugal.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I am in a situation where I would give anything to be able to carry on living in the UK, sadly I can't

I am moving to Canada more out of obligation than choice. Yes Canada looks cleaner and more organised on the face of it but having spent a lot of time there already I can tell you.

The economy is far less dynamic than the UK
Jobs are harder to find in Canada
There is more serious crime in Canada
No more easy and cheap air travel
No beutiful english countryside and coast in easy reach

These are some of the negatives of Canada, there are good points but it sounds like you have been reading the Daily Mail as you think England is complete rubbish.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:17 pm
NoreenC

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Hi

I am in a situation where I would give anything to be able to carry on living in the UK, sadly I can't

I am moving to Canada more out of obligation than choice. Yes Canada looks cleaner and more organised on the face of it but having spent a lot of time there already I can tell you.

The economy is far less dynamic than the UK
Jobs are harder to find in Canada
There is more serious crime in Canada
No more easy and cheap air travel
No beutiful english countryside and coast in easy reach

These are some of the negatives of Canada, there are good points but it sounds like you have been reading the Daily Mail as you think England is complete rubbish.
I was interested in reading your post as I, too, in all probability will be moving to Canada out of obligation rather than choice. I've spent a year there while I was studying and enjoyed my time. I felt comfortable there but I knew it wasn't permanent then, so that probably made a difference. How long have you stayed there and when will you be going there to stay? I agree that Canada does have a lot of good points. I liked the people and thought it was a lovely Country, but I also like living in the UK! It has its faults, but it's my home. I'd be interested in hearing how you get on when you make the move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.