Why come back to Britain?????

Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all
Default Re: Why come back to Britain?????

Originally Posted by Manc
But Brazil / Chile / Oz / NZ / Canada will?
The emerging Asian economies need Canada's natural resources (oil and gas).

I don't agree with the OP about the UK being so bad.

But as a family with children we're not going back. Life is way better here in Alberta. We know plenty of ex-pats none of whom would go back.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eliscolin
I think you should go and take a look at the comments of many others on the BBC "Have your Say" topics.
Why should we all? Because you're trying to convince us all? I'm starting to lose track of what you're trying to achieve here. There will always be arguments over which country is better than others to live in but at the end of the day you're going to move to South America while others will move back to the UK. This is the Moving back to the UK forum after all. Not saying that people can't post the other side of the coin in here too; it's a very good idea to keep in mind the UK's problems when returning so as not to be shocked, but the bad attitude you displayed in your first post has pretty much put everyone off side and you're not going to win the argument. And no, neither will we. Nobody can "win" because it's all about what people want to do in their hearts. Let's just drop it!
Old Dec 9th 2005, 1:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
The emerging Asian economies need Canada's natural resources (oil and gas).

I don't agree with the OP about the UK being so bad.

But as a family with children we're not going back. Life is way better here in Alberta. We know plenty of ex-pats none of whom would go back.
Of course, Canada is a great place.

Did you move to Canada because it was great, or did you move to Canada because the UK was shit?

I think if you're a failure in the UK you'll be a failure wherever you end up.
The country doesn't make a person.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:55 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Why come back to Britain?????

Originally Posted by ShozInOz- 'Immigrants'...check out Cronulla - a lovely, expensive beachside suburb, but watch for the regular gang clashes between white Australians and Middle-eastern gangs. [url
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,17511949-5001022,00.html[/url] Not to worry too much, there will be 60 riot police on duty on Sunday. Or perhaps you could live among the regular clashese between Vietnamese and Lebanese in Wetern Suburbs.
kultured.

There's a report about this on Sky News today as well:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...476056,00.html

Perhaps the original poster might like to live in Singapore.....? It's predominantly English speaking and they have a nice Brazilian churrascaria restaurant there too.....
Old Dec 9th 2005, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

eliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Always21
Why should we all? Because you're trying to convince us all? I'm starting to lose track of what you're trying to achieve here. There will always be arguments over which country is better than others to live in but at the end of the day you're going to move to South America while others will move back to the UK. This is the Moving back to the UK forum after all. Not saying that people can't post the other side of the coin in here too; it's a very good idea to keep in mind the UK's problems when returning so as not to be shocked, but the bad attitude you displayed in your first post has pretty much put everyone off side and you're not going to win the argument. And no, neither will we. Nobody can "win" because it's all about what people want to do in their hearts. Let's just drop it!
I am not trying to win any arguments and if you didn't like my original post then ignore it as it was never meant as an insult to anybody.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 3:14 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eliscolin
I am not trying to win any arguments and if you didn't like my original post then ignore it as it was never meant as an insult to anybody.
As a labour party supporter who has a good standard of living, who lives in a beautiful part of England and who works for the NHS I have found your posts insulting

G
Old Dec 9th 2005, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

CitySlicker will become famous soon enough

Got to agree with the original poster on this one. Immigration to the UK is out of control. The immigrants already there are bad enough but it seems that all you need to do to immigrate to the UK is to get there and then claim asylum and get your (taxpayer funded) lawyer to issue endless appeals. The recent case of Kosovan pimps seems to illustrate this well.

As for getting your comments on the BBC website I have send countless comments but not a single one has made it to the website. Clearly the left-wingers at the BBC censor them.

Here in NZ things are different. The country takes only qualified immigrants, a fixed small quota of refugees. While the pay here in NZ is not too good I think overall it is better to take a pay cut than risk being murdered by suicide bombers on your way to work.

The Muslims do seem to have Blair and the Labour party on the run at the moment. I suppose their visits to see Tony at 10 Downing Street are something like the "Beer and sandwiches" meetings that used to happen in the 70s with the Union leaders (who seemed to run the country at the time).

As for the NHS, for all its failings it is better than the NZ health system by a mile.

Britain does seem to get all the bad luck, you only get the bad news stories about the UK here on NZ TV, like the gas shortages, bombings and now the latest is that the Gulf stream is shutting down making the climate more arctic like.

I don't know about South America but I do know a Brazilian here in NZ who says that the crime over there is very bad. Don't know about Chile though.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 5:13 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySlicker
a fixed small quota of refugees.
which is against the geneva convention.

if someone turns up at your border and claims asylum, you must hear their case.

Did New Zealand not sign the Geneva Convention then?
Old Dec 9th 2005, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manc
which is against the geneva convention.

if someone turns up at your border and claims asylum, you must hear their case.

Did New Zealand not sign the Geneva Convention then?
The NZ government takes in a FIXED number of 750 refugees per annum ( A mixture of those who turn up at the border and those resettled). Don't ask me why ask the NZ government does it, ask them. www.govt.nz. My personal opinion is that if what you say is true then NZ should renounce those articles of the Geneva convention that compel it to accept refugees. Bear in mind that our foreign minister, Rt Hon Winston Peters is from an anti-immigrant party, NZ First.

Probably NZ is a difficult place to get to and so they don't have many 'turning up at the border' as it is 1500 miles from the nearest country and served by few flights. Visa/Passport controls and requirements also play their part in keeping out undesirables. Those that do often turn out to be bogus refugees and criminals and end up getting deported.

Last edited by CitySlicker; Dec 9th 2005 at 5:37 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Here in NZ things are different. The country takes only qualified immigrants, a fixed small quota of refugees. While the pay here in NZ is not too good I think overall it is better to take a pay cut than risk being murdered by suicide bombers on your way to work.
What would you say is the chance of being murdered by a suicide bomber on the way to work ?
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:44 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by dbd33
What would you say is the chance of being murdered by a suicide bomber on the way to work ?
My mate says the chances are very high, but then again, he's a bus driver in Tel Aviv.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:45 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

i would say much smaller than having a plane crash whilst flying to a 'safer' country
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

In the UK before July 2005 - zero.

After July 2005 - Greater than zero.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK before July 2005 - zero.

After July 2005 - Greater than zero.
Yes, but you thought it a risk worth taking a pay cut to avoid. I've never considered the issue so I'm wondering, as a risk how does it compare to catching hepatitis from ice cubes in South America, shark attacks in Australia or driving into a moose in Canada. It's no good getting bogged down in minor issues like family, social structure, language or preferred climate, one must look at the important issues.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cutina
i would say much smaller than having a plane crash whilst flying to a 'safer' country
You are right. I have had a look at these websites.

London Underground stats

http://www.lda.gov.uk/upload/pdf/Evi..._Section_2.pdf

52 deaths by suicide bombing
970 million passenger journeys (year 2001 data is all I could find easily)

Crude death risk (by suicide bomber only) per journey - 1 in 18 million

Worldwide aviation stats

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:f...+numbers&hl=en

Crude death risk (by any reason) per flight between first world countries

1 in 6 million. (years 1990 to 1999 is all I could find)

Now that I made it safely to NZ I think I had better stay put otherwise there is another 1 in 6 million risk that I am going to cop it if I return to the UK. Then there's the railway journey home as well.

I am not sure about those Australia / S. American / Canadian risks another poster mentioned as I don't live in any of those places.

Later thought:

If you were a regular commuter on the underground then you may make approx 500? journeys per year then the crude death rate (by suicide bomber on the underground) would increase and be more than the 2 plane journeys to get to NZ. O dear, I've just proven you wrong.

Of course some of the 52 deaths did occur on the bus so the rate will alter a bit.

Last edited by CitySlicker; Dec 9th 2005 at 8:28 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.