Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What is the positive in returning to UK

What is the positive in returning to UK

Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:15 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the positive in returning to UK

Originally Posted by Lineabove
In my last post "England Calling" I seemed to attract a number of negative posts. I wish to flip the question to "What is the positive in returning to England ?"

Keep in mind that I have been in Canada for 58 years and I really do not know England at all except for the fact that it is my birthplace. I have always maintained my British citizenship and have never applied for a second citizenship. I could write a lengthy post as to "why", but I will refrain.
Maybe the follow links will give you some insight

starting with the Daily Fail, which never misses a beat ...

50 things we love best about Britain show we're a nation of food lovers | Daily Mail Online

The BBC knows best

10 Things Americans Love About Living in Britain | Anglophenia | BBC America

Then the opinions

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5.../#post11680820

The advantages (and disadvantages) of living in the UK

Last edited by not2old; Jun 22nd 2015 at 3:41 pm. Reason: added to the thread
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 4:51 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I read the "10 things Americans love..."

I hope not too many yanks followed the advice to ask for their pint to be 'topped up' in pubs, or spent Boxing Day 'boxing up' their presents.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 5:09 pm
England is "home"

Lineabove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colchar
Not sure I buy that and, if true, did you inform the authorities that your neighbor was burning your property?
It is true, and no I did not inform the authorities.
My neighbour is now gone so it will not happen again.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:32 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

In my last post "England Calling" I seemed to attract a number of negative posts. I wish to flip the question to "What is the positive in returning to England ?"

Keep in mind that I have been in Canada for 58 years and I really do not know England at all except for the fact that it is my birthplace. .
How did your brother find England when he was there on Holiday a few years ago, what was his experience, did he have any good positive things to say about the place?

Did he ever mention that he would like to go to the UK to live?

from your post below dated Dec 9th 2013, 5:02 pm

Hello Expats - Considering returning to the UK

2." I have a new found yearning to come "home".
My older brother visited England a while back and he is in a similar situation as myself. When he arrived in England was going thru HM Customs, he showed his British passport and the officer said "Welcome home". I wonder if I would be so lucky."

Last edited by not2old; Jun 22nd 2015 at 6:36 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 7:07 pm
England is "home"

Originally Posted by not2old
How did your brother find England when he was there on Holiday a few years ago, what was his experience, did he have any good positive things to say about the place?

Did he ever mention that he would like to go to the UK to live?

from your post below dated Dec 9th 2013, 5:02 pm

Yes, he loved England in every way.
His only reservation is his age.

Both my brother and I chat about returning.

Just for fun he sent me an email yesterday....
Paying premium for England's countryside - CNN.com

Problem is, we need to win the lottery first.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 7:10 pm
England is "home"

Originally Posted by Editha
I read the "10 things Americans love..."

I hope not too many yanks followed the advice to ask for their pint to be 'topped up' in pubs, or spent Boxing Day 'boxing up' their presents.

Than you for this post.
I will read all at my leisure.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 8:45 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Yes, he loved England in every way.
His only reservation is his age.

Both my brother and I chat about returning.
is there a location that you may have in mind, or possibly returning to the place you left from as a child?

Why would age be a factor to return home?
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 9:15 pm
England is "home"

Hi not2lod,

I have Eton or Oxford as a first choice but all options would be on the table.

Age may be a factor in finding employment.
Once over the pond, we would be starting at the bottom again.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 9:27 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Lineabove, would it be possible to do when you retire or are collecting your OAS/CPP etc, then move to the UK, is that an option for you?

BTW, why is your Brother too old to move to the UK?
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 9:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi not2lod,

Don't forget to pack your snorkel.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi not2lod,

So why the urge to undertake a huge move to somewhere you have not lived for 58 years!

If you absolutely hate Ontario, have a poor standard of living there and truly believe that anywhere else would be better for you, then I understand you looking at the option.

However, realistically you have to take into account that you may not get a job for months, (age WILL be a factor), it may be poorly paid and, if you have little resources, you could end up in a 'sink' council estate somewhere.

What resources will you have should you move?

Better not to have rose colored glasses on.

As someone else said if you have not even visited the place for all this time, then a vacation would be a better bet.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:11 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, why the urge after 58 years?

Was it a St George's cross or Union Jack that you flew?

As for positives, Lorry1 noted many in her post #8.

You could add that it's an interesting place, people are generally clued up on current affairs, have an understanding of geography, have a point of view they are willing to make. It's close to Europe and had indeed become more European in some aspects. The roads are good, the driving is excellent, there are plenty of things to see and do. Pubs. All in all a decent place to live.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:20 am
England is "home"

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, why the urge after 58 years?

Was it a St George's cross or Union Jack that you flew?

As for positives, Lorry1 noted many in her post #8.

You could add that it's an interesting place, people are generally clued up on current affairs, have an understanding of geography, have a point of view they are willing to make. It's close to Europe and had indeed become more European in some aspects. The roads are good, the driving is excellent, there are plenty of things to see and do. Pubs. All in all a decent place to live.

It was St. George's cross.

Why the urge ?
In a simple statement... a change is as good as a holiday.

I have been self-employed for 25 years and work 24/7/365.
Every day is a challenge which is OK, but I have had 25 years of the challenge.

If I move to England, I know it will not be easy BUT the problems are "different", the scenery is "different", the culture is "somewhat different" and that to me makes the idea exciting.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:23 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It was St. George's cross.

Why the urge ?
In a simple statement... a change is as good as a holiday.

I have been self-employed for 25 years and work 24/7/365.
Every day is a challenge which is OK, but I have had 25 years of the challenge.

If I move to England, I know it will not be easy BUT the problems are "different", the scenery is "different", the culture is "somewhat different" and that to me makes the idea exciting.
Where would you move to? If you are self employed, and wanted to, presumably you could work here too.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 1:27 am
England is "home"

Originally Posted by Shard
Where would you move to? If you are self employed, and wanted to, presumably you could work here too.
But that is the BIG issue.
I am versed in architectural / construction methods in Ontario and have a good working knowledge of the Ontario Building Code.

That does not transfer to England which has it's own architectural / construction methods and building code.

I would be starting at the bottom... which is OK, provided I can provide for rent / food etc.

I am not looking to be a millionaire, I would be satisfied to make ends meet as the balance of my life in England would be exciting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.