Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What is the positive in returning to UK

What is the positive in returning to UK

Old Jun 23rd 2015, 11:33 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the positive in returning to UK

Originally Posted by not2old
my suggestion to the OP give the length of time that he has been in Canada & given his age, he is unlikely to find employment, going freelance or getting any contract work in the UK .... just saying.

That between now and the age when he collects his Canadian old age security pension, that a trip or two holiday/visit to the UK is a must.

Then, when he no longer thinks he can hack work life & still believes the UK is where he wants too be (with his OH blessing) - then its.. pull up his Canadian roots, sell the farm lock stock & barrel to move to the UK.

Emigrate back home
Weren't you thinking of doing the same (back to UK) about a year ago?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:55 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
What a load of rubbish. you obviously read the Daily Fail!
Actually, it's a serious problem that is a major topic of debate at present.

Mail? I would never quote or believe anything in the Mail. THAT is rubbish.

But the BBC is reasonably level, if that better suits you:

Migrants [seeking entry to UK] queue for food handouts in Calais

Migrants making '100 illegal attempts a day' to enter UK

Benefit changes will make UK 'less attractive'

But...If you have lived in Canada for that many years and that's basically all you know, you may struggle. It would be like emigrating to a whole new country for you. Have you even visited in that many years?
True, if that's all you know, then even moving to another town or province in Canada could render some degree of culture shock.

In the big scheme of things, the UK is a little different, but not not all that much. The language is far more similar than people will admit, food is quite similar, much of the same things in the supermarkets, there are shopping malls and banks and motorways and cinemas and so on... Culturally a little different, but again, only a little... certainly less than most Britons would ever admit to.

If you are worried about suffering culture shock when moving to the UK, then you probably should never consider anywhere on mainland Europe ... or even another province in Canada like Quebec ... scary...

But one unique positive about moving back to the UK is that you no longer have to suffer all those idiot drivers who 'drive on the wrong side of the road' like you do in the rest of the world.

Last edited by amideislas; Jun 23rd 2015 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:58 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Weren't you thinking of doing the same (back to UK) about a year ago?
indeed I was, the difference is my FIL wont die. He is 96 years old, physically strong (a bit weak in the head), still lives in his own 2-bedroom bungalow all by himself, he still drives & we do absolutely everything for him - two treks a day, meals, laundry,house work, al the doctors appointments & the middle of the night phone calls.

He was saying the other day that he has two more years to live - my response was 'we'll be over 70' when you pop your clogs'. He simply smiled.

There are zero restrictions for us going back to the UK, blessing from the two adult children, no issues with moving over, knowing where we will first go when we get there is sorted, the type of accommodation for the first two weeks, then the following six months till we scoot around to find the place we'd like to set down roots in the UK as a base
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 1:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
indeed I was, the difference is my FIL wont die. He is 96 years old, physically strong (a bit weak in the head), still lives in his own 2-bedroom bungalow all by himself, he still drives & we do absolutely everything for him - two treks a day, meals, laundry,house work, al the doctors appointments & the middle of the night phone calls.

He was saying the other day that he has two more years to live - my response was 'we'll be over 70' when you pop your clogs'. He simply smiled.

There are zero restrictions for us going back to the UK, blessing from the two adult children, no issues with moving over, knowing where we will first go when we get there is sorted, the type of accommodation for the first two weeks, then the following six months till we scoot around to find the place we'd like to set down roots in the UK as a base
So it's still on the cards then anyway, 70 is the new 50! At least you will be well organised.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 1:26 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
So it's still on the cards then anyway, 70 is the new 50! At least you will be well organised.

We figured he'd pop his clogs shortly after I retired from work 5 years ago & we were ready then

Don't know about the '70 being the new 50', this waiting is doing my head in
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lineabove
No, I have not visited at all but this is why it would be a whole new experience for me. If anything, it would make life "exciting" even with it's pitfalls.
I am moving back in three weeks to the UK after 30+ years in the USA. I am petrified, excited, exhilarated, fearful, anxious - all of those things.

Jobs worry me, yes, but I already have a recruiter working on my behalf over there and should have interviews lined up after the first week I am there. (I need that first week to come down to reality and recover from jet lag.)

I was planning to go at the end of July or August but a good opportunity for a place to live came up and someone happened to know a good recruiter and so it has all fallen into place easily.

I am going home, first of all because it is "home" no matter how long I have been away. I miss the more relaxed way of life. I am tired of all work and no play in the USA. I miss Continental Europe. I also miss the British countryside and being closer to the ocean. I miss fish and chips. I miss the ability to get by without a car due to the buses an trains, although I probably will eventually buy a car. If it works out costing an arm and a leg I will bypass the car, though. It's not worth it. Also, the USA is definitely not what it was 30 years ago.

Even though many things are more expensive in the UK I think many of those items are better quality than many in the USA.

I do worry about the price of things over there but apparently I stand to make a reasonably good income with my education and experience. I will also be receiving a company pension from the USA which will help.

Britain also cares more for its older citizens than the USA does. That's enough reason alone in my book.

Once there I hope to pay into the UK pension system so I can at least get a small pension from the state when I retire in addition to my USA social security.

I worry about initial culture shock, though - everything more expensive, smaller rooms, more people, etc. I don't know how long it takes to become acclimatized to that. The fact that I expect it is what will probably carry me through it. I am expecting about six months of anxiety.

What bothers me the most is dealing with both UK and USA taxes and having to pay my US accountant to handle much of it for me. It is the reason I plan to relinquish US citizenship as soon as absolutely possible.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 23rd 2015 at 4:08 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 10:53 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Actually, it's a serious problem that is a major topic of debate at present.

Mail? I would never quote or believe anything in the Mail. THAT is rubbish.

But the BBC is reasonably level, if that better suits you:

Migrants [seeking entry to UK] queue for food handouts in Calais

Migrants making '100 illegal attempts a day' to enter UK

Benefit changes will make UK 'less attractive'

True, if that's all you know, then even moving to another town or province in Canada could render some degree of culture shock.

In the big scheme of things, the UK is a little different, but not not all that much. The language is far more similar than people will admit, food is quite similar, much of the same things in the supermarkets, there are shopping malls and banks and motorways and cinemas and so on... Culturally a little different, but again, only a little... certainly less than most Britons would ever admit to.

If you are worried about suffering culture shock when moving to the UK, then you probably should never consider anywhere on mainland Europe ... or even another province in Canada like Quebec ... scary...

But one unique positive about moving back to the UK is that you no longer have to suffer all those idiot drivers who 'drive on the wrong side of the road' like you do in the rest of the world.
As said on another thread, and by many people on here.. Canada, the US, NZ & OZ are very different to the UK. OK we speak the same language, just, but supermarkets are different, shops are different, cars are different, the landscape is different, public transport is different, restaurants are different, food is different, socially they are different, etc etc etc....

I lived in Canada for 6 years & struggled with the culture.

I can't even be bothered because you live in Spain and travel to the US 2-3 times a year and Canada occasionally so you obviously know best.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 4:58 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

As said on another thread, and by many people on here.. Canada, the US, NZ & OZ are very different to the UK. OK we speak the same language, just, but supermarkets are different, shops are different, cars are different, the landscape is different, public transport is different, restaurants are different, food is different, socially they are different, etc etc etc....

I lived in Canada for 6 years & struggled with the culture.

I can't even be bothered because you live in Spain and travel to the US 2-3 times a year and Canada occasionally so you obviously know best.
The point is that when compared to the rest of the world, they are far more alike than different, but you wouldn't know that because to you, the differences are huge.

But c'mon, it's an exaggeration to say that the food is different (go somewhere truly different and then say that), or supermarkets are different (Safeway and Morrisons and Tesco etc. are nearly identical Safeway and other mega-supermarkets in the US), Many of the same names in the shopping malls. Steering wheel is on the right, that's true... The UK HAS public transport, the US largely doesn't. That's a plus... Culturally, different, but not like the difference between say, Italians and Brits. And I'm not referring to language.

If you live in the UK, that's all you know, and then move to Canada - potentially big culture shock - for some.

Brits do seem to exhibit an elevated sensitivity or even adversity to things 'not British'. The food is shite, the beer is shite, the meat is shite.. the way they hold a fork is shite.. they way they say 'fraance' is shite... Drivers are idiots...I hear it all the time on expat forums like this, as well as personally from other Brits.

But I never hear that stuff from Americans. In fact, Brits often view America with despise, but conversely, (if they have any opinion at all) Americans generally express positive views of the UK, Europe, etc. Perhaps out of ignorance, but they just don't seem to have the same predisposition to dislike it.

Americans who visit us are delighted to take in the local atmosphere, and I've never heard a complaint that there's no McDonalds or TGI Fridays down the street.... I do hear lots of complaints about Spanish, Germans, crap food, no proper cuppa, no HP sauce etc. from Brits, but precious few complaints about Brits from other nationalities.

Therefore, I would be inclined to suspect that moving FROM the US or Canada to the UK would render less culture shock, simply because the yanks (and presumably, Canadians) don't seem to exhibit quite as much dependency or favouritism for 'all things American/Canadian' (and I'm not referring to flag-waving).

</rant>

Last edited by amideislas; Jun 24th 2015 at 5:09 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 5:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The point is that when compared to the rest of the world, they are far more alike than different, but you wouldn't know that because to you, the differences are huge.

But c'mon, it's an exaggeration to say that the food is different (go somewhere truly different and then say that), or supermarkets are different (Safeway and Morrisons and Tesco etc. are nearly identical Safeway and other mega-supermarkets in the US), Many of the same names in the shopping malls. Steering wheel is on the right, that's true... The UK HAS public transport, the US largely doesn't. That's a plus... Culturally, different, but not like the difference between say, Italians and Brits. And I'm not referring to language.

If you live in the UK, that's all you know, and then move to Canada - potentially big culture shock - for some.

Brits do seem to exhibit an elevated sensitivity or even adversity to things 'not British'. The food is shite, the beer is shite, the meat is shite.. the way they hold a fork is shite.. they way they say 'fraance' is shite... Drivers are idiots...I hear it all the time on expat forums like this, as well as personally from other Brits.

But I never hear that stuff from Americans. In fact, Brits often view America with despise, but conversely, (if they have any opinion at all) Americans generally express positive views of the UK, Europe, etc. Perhaps out of ignorance, but they just don't seem to have the same predisposition to dislike it.

Americans who visit us are delighted to take in the local atmosphere, and I've never heard a complaint that there's no McDonalds or TGI Fridays down the street.... I do hear lots of complaints about Spanish, Germans, crap food, no proper cuppa, no HP sauce etc. from Brits, but precious few complaints about Brits from other nationalities.

Therefore, I would be inclined to suspect that moving FROM the US or Canada to the UK would render less culture shock, simply because the yanks (and presumably, Canadians) don't seem to exhibit quite as much dependency or favouritism for 'all things American/Canadian' (and I'm not referring to flag-waving).

</rant>
Are you honestly expecting us to believe that Americans never complain about things not being the same abroad as they are at home?
Have you ever spent any time reading forums aimed at American expats?
Old Jun 24th 2015, 6:19 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

</rant>

The food is different in canada. They cater for US/Canadian tastes.
The cheese is made of ear wax, the sausages came in different flavours, none of them nice (IMO), the bread is too sugary, as are lots of their food, the chocolate is...well lets just not go there!
The Chinese is too greasy.
They don't have extra thick double cream. Milk tastes of milk but bloody expensive compared to here.
I never eat McDonalds, BK, KFC or similar anymore as it's just gross.
They have Sobeys & Canadian Superstore which, correct me if I'm wrong, we don't have here in the UK. Yes they have Safeway in some places, not where we were so can't comment if they do decent food.
Walmart is sh1t, hated going in there, depressing.

They can't drive. They turn the key and point their cars in the vaguely right direction & pray.

They are all too positive. They hate bad news so you don't really hear about all the crap that's actually going on. The amount of people that jump off the harbour bridge, the shootings, the car jackings, etc was all put into a tiny box on page 29 of the local paper.

I am mainly taking the p1ss but most of it stands as true. Canada is NOT the same as the UK!
Old Jun 24th 2015, 9:47 pm
Yo

</rant>
You must be joking? Americans don't complain about other countries? They are the most parochial and critical of any country. Not all, just 99% of them.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 9:55 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The food is different in canada. They cater for US/Canadian tastes.
The cheese is made of ear wax, the sausages came in different flavours, none of them nice (IMO), the bread is too sugary, as are lots of their food, the chocolate is...well lets just not go there!
The Chinese is too greasy.
They don't have extra thick double cream. Milk tastes of milk but bloody expensive compared to here.
I never eat McDonalds, BK, KFC or similar anymore as it's just gross.
They have Sobeys & Canadian Superstore which, correct me if I'm wrong, we don't have here in the UK. Yes they have Safeway in some places, not where we were so can't comment if they do decent food.
Walmart is sh1t, hated going in there, depressing.

They can't drive. They turn the key and point their cars in the vaguely right direction & pray.

They are all too positive. They hate bad news so you don't really hear about all the crap that's actually going on. The amount of people that jump off the harbour bridge, the shootings, the car jackings, etc was all put into a tiny box on page 29 of the local paper.

I am mainly taking the p1ss but most of it stands as true. Canada is NOT the same as the UK!
Your summary of Canadian culture is so accurate, it makes me want to weep.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 10:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Your summary of Canadian culture is so accurate, it makes me want to weep.
With joy I assume?

I'm lucky, I can luxuriate in the culture for another 9 whole days!!
Old Jun 24th 2015, 10:40 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
With joy I assume?

I'm lucky, I can luxuriate in the culture for another 9 whole days!!
Good luck with your move.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 10:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Good luck with your move.
Thanks. We'll need it. As everyone does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.