Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What is the positive in returning to UK

What is the positive in returning to UK

Old Jun 23rd 2015, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the positive in returning to UK

Originally Posted by Lineabove
But that is the BIG issue.
I am versed in architectural / construction methods in Ontario and have a good working knowledge of the Ontario Building Code.

That does not transfer to England which has it's own architectural / construction methods and building code.

I would be starting at the bottom... which is OK, provided I can provide for rent / food etc.

I am not looking to be a millionaire, I would be satisfied to make ends meet as the balance of my life in England would be exciting.
Until such time as you get employment to 'make ends meet', do you have enough money to last a few months to cover accommodation, deposits, transport costs, car costs, heating, food, clothes etc etc.?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 2:22 am
England is "home"

Lineabove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Until such time as you get employment to 'make ends meet', do you have enough money to last a few months to cover accommodation, deposits, transport costs, car costs, heating, food, clothes etc etc.?
Yes.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 2:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lineabove
Yes.
Then why waste it on a tragic fantasy?

Do you remember anything at all about England from 58 years ago when you left as a baby?

Didn't think so.

OTOH many folk going in the other direction think that Canada is a 30 year throw back compared to the UK, so maybe you'll have less catching up to do.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 2:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You said you don't have Canadian citizenship. My only advice would be to get it before you decide on leaving. If things don't work out in the UK for any reason you want to be able to return to the only home you've known for nearly 60 years.

One question, though. If you want to take your wife, have you looked into the process for her getting a visa allowing her to live in the UK? It's not as easy as one might think.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

carolearly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Lineabove

First of all whatever your reasoning for returning to the Uk, I applaud your thinking to make a change after all those years. Its never too late, go with your heart, and your intuition.

I have lived abroad in EU, for 9 years, and myself and hubby are making the move back to UK, at the beginning of August. It wont be easy as we sold up, to come here, but we never do easy !! I have a job of sorts as a carer for my aunt which starts mid August. Not my ideal choice of work, but I am willing to do it, to get some funds. I have loved living abroad, but my roots are calling me back, and I have felt this way for about 18 months. I am not going back wearing rose tinted glasses, indeed I have been back and forth about 5 times during the last few months, and much has changed. But it is my home, and I love it warts and all. I will shed a few tears leaving here, but I have embraced living abroad for 9 years, with all its challenges and frustrations.

So good luck to you my friend, do what your heart tells you, and it will work out.

Tara
Carol
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:43 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolearly
Hello Lineabove

First of all whatever your reasoning for returning to the Uk, I applaud your thinking to make a change after all those years. Its never too late, go with your heart, and your intuition.

I have lived abroad in EU, for 9 years, and myself and hubby are making the move back to UK, at the beginning of August. It wont be easy as we sold up, to come here, but we never do easy !! I have a job of sorts as a carer for my aunt which starts mid August. Not my ideal choice of work, but I am willing to do it, to get some funds. I have loved living abroad, but my roots are calling me back, and I have felt this way for about 18 months. I am not going back wearing rose tinted glasses, indeed I have been back and forth about 5 times during the last few months, and much has changed. But it is my home, and I love it warts and all. I will shed a few tears leaving here, but I have embraced living abroad for 9 years, with all its challenges and frustrations.

So good luck to you my friend, do what your heart tells you, and it will work out.

Tara
Carol
I think he needs to use his head too.

I'm not sure how serious he really is in his intentions, but he clearly hasn't given much thought to it, or he wouldn't be giving David Cameron's CV (Eton and Oxford) as his choice of residence.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

I just moved back after 45 years in Canada but I had gone there as a 22 year old and visited over the years. The main reason I moved back is that I just couldn't take another of those winters. Had to go somewhere so back here seemed as good a place as any. I grew up in London which is not affordable so am a couple of hours west. Yes, it is almost like starting over in a new country and sometimes difficult but there's lots to do, things like U3A for seniors Homepage - University of the Third Age so not a bad choice.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:59 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I think he needs to use his head too.

I'm not sure how serious he really is in his intentions, but he clearly hasn't given much thought to it, or he wouldn't be giving David Cameron's CV (Eton and Oxford) as his choice of residence.
+1

All a bit of a wind-up, methinks.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:02 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the1mag
I just moved back after 45 years in Canada but I had gone there as a 22 year old and visited over the years. The main reason I moved back is that I just couldn't take another of those winters. Had to go somewhere so back here seemed as good a place as any. I grew up in London which is not affordable so am a couple of hours west. Yes, it is almost like starting over in a new country and sometimes difficult but there's lots to do, things like U3A for seniors Homepage - University of the Third Age so not a bad choice.
That's quite a period away! Did you consider the Lower Mainland or VI at all?

What, if anything, was not as you expected when you returned?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That's quite a period away! Did you consider the Lower Mainland or VI at all?

What, if anything, was not as you expected when you returned?
I had lived in Vancouver for 20 years in the 80s and 90s and visited about 18 months ago but it's become outrageously expensive so not an option and although I love the Island the ferries are very expensive now too.

I didn't really have any expectation moving back, I was just looking forward to some familiarity with what I might find. I'm in Salisbury which for a small town has a lot going on that I like but the cost of living is a little higher than I would like. Food is great, public transport is great and U3A has been a life saver in terms of activities and a way to meet people.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:34 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I had lived in Vancouver for 20 years in the 80s and 90s and visited about 18 months ago but it's become outrageously expensive so not an option and although I love the Island the ferries are very expensive now too.

I didn't really have any expectation moving back, I was just looking forward to some familiarity with what I might find. I'm in Salisbury which for a small town has a lot going on that I like but the cost of living is a little higher than I would like. Food is great, public transport is great and U3A has been a life saver in terms of activities and a way to meet people.
How are you finding exchange rates affect your income? Only a small part of our income comes from Canada, but it has devalued significantly in the year we've been back in the UK.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:38 am
Yo

It is expensive out there. U3A looks interesting, had not heard of it before. Enjoy Salisbury.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:42 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Try the Women's Institute as well. I understand the Canadian version has a reputation for stuffiness, but the UK WI has got over that.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Editha
How are you finding exchange rates affect your income? Only a small part of our income comes from Canada, but it has devalued significantly in the year we've been back in the UK.
I moved my savings over before the Canadian bank rate changed a few months ago so that didn't affect me but my pension definitely isn't going as far as it used to now.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 11:26 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

my suggestion to the OP give the length of time that he has been in Canada & given his age, he is unlikely to find employment, going freelance or getting any contract work in the UK .... just saying.

That between now and the age when he collects his Canadian old age security pension, that a trip or two holiday/visit to the UK is a must.

Then, when he no longer thinks he can hack work life & still believes the UK is where he wants too be (with his OH blessing) - then its.. pull up his Canadian roots, sell the farm lock stock & barrel to move to the UK.

Emigrate back home

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.